Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
question about timed grinders
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > question about...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jockc

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 11:22am
Subject: question about timed grinders

sorry if this was asked before.

I'm looking at the Baratza Vario and wondering: since it is grinding for a fixed time, will you get a fuller basket when the hopper is full (thus more downward/gravity force pushing on the beans) than when it is almost empty?

I love the idea of the timer--right now I have a Rocky (doserless) and I have to hold the switch the entire time.  But I'm worried about consistency with the timed models.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 1:24am
Subject: Re: question about timed grinders

There's no general answer to that question. Unless you use weight controlled grinding like with the Vario-W a timer will always be a little inaccurate. Still, once adjusted a timer works fairly well for a certain time. However, as soon as you change the coarseness setting, it needs to be readjusted.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 8:01am

From what I've read from some manufacturers, Mazzer in particular, the timer wasn't put on the grinder to help with dosing, it was put on the grinder to make sure the grinder shuts off. A Mazzer (and probably many others) can run quietly enough when empty to be hard to hear over normal cafe-level noise. Mazzer put the timers on their grinders so they would run endlessly on an empty hopper when someone forgot to turn them off while filling the doser.

I know other timers are more accurate than the Mazzer timers, but they seem like a poor way to measure dosings. As was already said changing the grind would change the necessary dosing time to get the same weight of coffee.
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 8:53pm

dorkroast Said:

From what I've read from some manufacturers, Mazzer in particular, the timer wasn't put on the grinder to help with dosing, it was put on the grinder to make sure the grinder shuts off. A Mazzer (and probably many others) can run quietly enough when empty to be hard to hear over normal cafe-level noise. Mazzer put the timers on their grinders so they would run endlessly on an empty hopper when someone forgot to turn them off while filling the doser.

I know other timers are more accurate than the Mazzer timers, but they seem like a poor way to measure dosings. As was already said changing the grind would change the necessary dosing time to get the same weight of coffee.

Posted July 7, 2013 link

I believe that the OP was talking about timer based grind on demand grinding and not the traditional "timer" models of doser-dosing grinders.  That would include the  E varients of Mazzer grinders, or the Mahlkoenig K30 Vario, or the on demand versions of Anfim grinders, or the Compak Fresh line of grinders, the Elektra Nino, and on and on and on.  Most major grinder manufacturers make a grind on demand grinder that uses a timer to control dose size.  

OP, you are correct in your assessment of the effect of bean load in dose size.  In my experience the dose doesn't start to vary until the beans in the hopper dip below 100g.  A lot of commercial grinders have a diffuser of sorts inside the hopper to even out the flow of bean and I suppose the weight of the bean mass as well (and also house a magnet to catch metal bits).  The degree of dose varience as the bean load diminishes is different from grinder to grinder.  It's effected by the burr type, grinding speed, and also the shape or the space leading to the burr inlet.  The actual impact of this is pretty small, and easily compensated for by using scales and doing things by weight instead of visual estimation.

Most consumer manual grinders can be put on a digital darkroom timer for an instant upgrade to timer based on demand grinding.  It works really well.  Your Rocky is slow compared to most commercial on demand grinders, and should be very accurate on a timer.  I had a 85mm flat burr Gaggia grinder on a GraLab 900 timer and it was accurate to within a gram while doing 18g in 3 seconds.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
greekespresso
greekespresso

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 3:48am

My old very crude time-dosing measurements:
"Re: Quick test on Vario timer"

www.greekespresso.gr
itsleighton

Espresso: La Marzocco GB5, PID Silvia,
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E, Mazzer Major...
Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 4:21pm

FWIW.... I dont know if it is possible on your grinder, but in order to maintain proper hopper "weight" and avoid beans bouncing around from using a single dose amount of beans, I use a second tamper on top of the beans on my Robur.  I removed the hopper and just put the tamper inside the hole on top of them.  I know it works on all Mazzers, but I dont know about anything else.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > question about...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.258692979813)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+