Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Hand Grinder
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hand Grinder  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
philosogeek
philosogeek
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 Semi-Auto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 8 and 3 cup
Drip: Pour over, Clever coffee...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jul 15, 2009, 3:33am
Subject: Re: Hand Grinder

f16cla1 Said:

Well I actually know cafe kubal very well.

Posted July 14, 2009 link

Cool ;)  Sounds like you know it better than I do!

f16cla1 Said:

the owner Matt helped me get the best quality shot from it.

Can I ask what he did to help?  I didn't know they sold machines there, what machine did you buy and did he set it up in shop and pull some shot with you?  That'd be very cool of him if that's what he did.

f16cla1 Said:

Now with my new grinder I plan to go back there.

Do they sell their espresso blend?  I go there fairly often but only buy drinks while there, I haven't ventured into buying any of their beans for a long time.  

Sorry for all the questions :)
-p
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
f16cla1
f16cla1

Posted Wed Jul 15, 2009, 4:41am

As far as their espresso blend, I don't know if they sell that you'll have to ask.  No they don't sell machines there.  I bought a hamilton beach machine, so not the best machine in the world, and was in there talking to matt about what grind size.  He told me to bring it in which I did and he just kind of figured out how fine to go.  Since I didn't have a grinder his help went unused until now.  I basically used to buy the beans there and have them grind them as fine as possible on their machine, but that still wasn't as fine as their good espresso grinder.  I would just try to talk to him maybe, cause I don't think what I did is a regular everyday thing.   Also where do you get your beans from, because I noticed in your profile you have a pretty nice machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
FredK
FredK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Kyocera hand grinder
Roaster: FreshRoast+8
Posted Wed Jul 15, 2009, 7:54am

They had a KyM last saturday morning that I was considering. By saturday afternoon, it was already sold. I just ordered the Kyocera today, I'll post how I like it.
peddler

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Mini Vidaldi V2
Grinder: Macap M4 Doser, Kyocera Hand...
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Sat Jul 18, 2009, 4:16am

If you have an Aroma, be sure you get a non-pressurized portafilter.  

With the Kyocera grinder, I am grinding 3 clicks from fully closed, with a slight tamp.  Still working on getting things right.  Most of the shots are coming out on the bitter side, although I have had some decent ones with Counter Culture Sumatra Blend.  Getting some Metropolis coffee early next week.
skcor250

Grinder: MDF
Vac Pot: No
Drip: No
Roaster: Home made
Posted Sat Jul 18, 2009, 8:51am

f16cla1 Said:

Hi everybody,  I've been in the market for a hand grinder ever since I bought an espresso machine.  Now I've heard many times before on these forums to go to orphanespresso.com.  I've looked at this site and found that I'm always waiting because they usually only have 1 or two espresso grinders up at a time and then they're gone within a day.  That being said, I do like that they test them to ensure they will get espresso fine results.  I've also read that sweetmarias.com sells them, but they're all new.  Which means no guarantee that they'll grind fine enough.   Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a hand grinder that will for sure grind espresso?

Posted July 13, 2009 link

I just got a Zass from SM and tried it for the first time with my Gaggia Classic and to me the Zass was a noticeable improvement over my MDF grinder.  I adjusted the Zass until the burrs were touching throughout the entire grind stroke, and to my surprise I had a perfect extraction.  By improvement I mean:  the crema appeared thicker and smoother, the extraction flowrate was more uniform, the espresso tasted creamier and had a nicely balanced flavour.  My MDF is older, but I have recently inspected the burrs and they are ok.  I'm using a home blend of green beans from SM that I roast at home (sumatra, el Sal, and brasil).  Also, the grind seamed more forgiving with the conical burrs in the Zass vs. the MDF.  For the second extraction I used the same grind but a little less coffee, and I still got a good extraction.  My MDF seems more sensitive to settings and/or coffee mass per shot.

Hope that helps.  By the way, the Zass was made in Germany - I was wondering where it was made before I received it.

skcor
FredK
FredK

Grinder: Kyocera hand grinder
Roaster: FreshRoast+8
Posted Sat Jul 18, 2009, 10:36am

I just received the Kyocera yesterday and tried it out a few times. I started with 4 clicks from tight, got a gusher. 3 clicks slight improvement. At two clicks out I'm getting 45 second shots. Compared to my Capresso, the crema seems darker, didn't blonde as early, and had more body.  Still have to play around with it. I'm guessing 2.5 clicks will be close. I have a saeco aroma with a non-press PF.

This is my first hand grinder, and I have to say that it's fun to use. Only takes a couple minutes, and I can walk around the house with it. And the best part is there is very little cleaning involved, and zero mess!
philosogeek
philosogeek

Espresso: Livia 90 Semi-Auto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 8 and 3 cup
Drip: Pour over, Clever coffee...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Jul 19, 2009, 8:51am

f16cla1 Said:

Also where do you get your beans from

Posted July 15, 2009 link

UGGGHHH!! I just had a long post typed out and just somehow accidentally closed the window!!!  I don't wanna type it all out again so here's the bullet points.

- Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you.
     - I'm a grad student at SU and had some deadlines to meet.

- I don't get beans locally.  I either home roast or mail order beans.
     - Homeroast - usually sweet maria's espresso monkey.
     - Mail Order - usually a place that advertises on this site.  Most recently (CG member): http://www.lensespressoblends.com/

- If local beans are a must, then I dunno.
    - haven't tried Kubal's in a long time.
    - Sugar-Pearl (where burnett ave. meets S. Crouse) might carry Gimme! beans.
             - I say "might" because they haven't the past two times I've been in and I vaguely recall hearing that they had switched  to Kubal's beans.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
-p
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Kenntak

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Kyocera Hand Grinder
Posted Sun Jul 19, 2009, 6:36pm

FredK Said:

I just received the Kyocera yesterday and tried it out a few times. I started with 4 clicks from tight, got a gusher. 3 clicks slight improvement. At two clicks out I'm getting 45 second shots. Compared to my Capresso, the crema seems darker, didn't blonde as early, and had more body.  Still have to play around with it. I'm guessing 2.5 clicks will be close. I have a saeco aroma with a non-press PF.

This is my first hand grinder, and I have to say that it's fun to use. Only takes a couple minutes, and I can walk around the house with it. And the best part is there is very little cleaning involved, and zero mess!

Posted July 18, 2009 link

Mine is set at 3-4 clicks and I get around 25 second shots depending upon how many beans I use and the tamping pressure.  I am pleased with the consistency of the grinder.
f16cla1
f16cla1

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2009, 4:36am

When you guys talk about your grind setting with the kyocera, you keep mentioning clicks.  Mine came and when I tighten the burr it doesn't click at all.  I would say it almost vibrates, just for lack of a better term.  there is definitley something thats not smooth so you can feel it when you turn the dial, but it is way to minuscule of a sensation to use it as a measurement of how much you're turning it.  Could I have it put together wrong ?
f16cla1
f16cla1

Posted Mon Jul 20, 2009, 4:38am

And 1 more thing.  How do I know when it's fully tightened.  I don't want to over tighten it and break it.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Hand Grinder  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.332578897476)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+