Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
I'm relatively new, and I need a replacement grinder. Please help!
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > I'm relatively...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
JScottTuck

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 6:56pm
Subject: I'm relatively new, and I need a replacement grinder. Please help!

Hi. I've lurked here for a little while, but never really posted. So...I love to make my own espresso drinks at home. Right now, I have cheap equipment. This is the machine that I have: Click Here (www.amazon.com)

I also have a standard Bunn drip coffee maker......So anyway... I HAD this grinder until about 10 minutes ago :) - Click Here (www.amazon.com)

I decided to try a mod that a saw on several forums to make it grind finer for espresso....I broke it....Thankfully, my wife knows my track record, and said..."Why don't you just buy want you want, rather than breaking that one".....I assured her I wouldn't break it....I haven't admitted defeat yet.

So...Here I am...I need a nice grinder with a range of settings, as I need it to do standard drip filtered coffee, sometimes a french press, and then of course...Espresso. As bad as I hate to spend the money, I will buy a decent one with plans to upgrade the espresso machine later. I would like to stay at the $200 mark, but I know I probably won't get a good grinder for that, so let's say my budget will be $200-400. What would you guys recommend?

I have been looking at the Baratza Precisio, Baratza Vario, and a Rancilio Rocky. Any additional input/recommendations are very much appreciated. Also, just to toss it out there, I'm not necessarily opposed to buying a separate grinder for drip/french press, but it would have to be a cheap one if I buy an espresso grinder at the top of my budget.
 View Profile Link to this post
javanj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia New Coffee, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Rocky & Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta pour over & Gevalia...
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 7:30pm
Subject: Re: I'm relatively new, and I need a replacement grinder. Please help!

Rocky
JScottTuck

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 7:36pm

Is there anything other than the reliability of the brand that would make you choose the Rocky over either of the 2 Baratza grinders?
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 8:11pm

I full-heartedly disagree with that recommendation. And before one goes any further, yeah I owned one for several years. I would never recommend the Rocky for espresso. Both the Vario and Preciso can do both coarse and fine, are easily adjusted and give you nearly stepless control over grind settings in the espresso range - which to me makes them hands-down far superior to the Rocky (my opinion).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JMFishtown
JMFishtown
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Drip: Aeropress, Espro Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 8:20pm

I have a compak k3 that I am incredibly happy with that would stretch your budget a bit; but it would last 20+ years.

That said I think a refurbished Vario would fit you perfectly; I hear nothing but rave reviews about it and it allows you to switch from drip to espresso quickly.  

I also second the advice to NOT get the rocky; it's steps are far too large to do espresso properly. Each step in a rocky is .03 mm which equates to about FIVE seconds in extraction time.  Nowhere near precise enough to get consistently great shots.
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 12:26pm

JScottTuck Said:

I would like to stay at the $200 mark, but I know I probably won't get a good grinder for that, so let's say my budget will be $200-400. What would you guys recommend?

I have been looking at the Baratza Precisio, Baratza Vario, and a Rancilio Rocky. Any additional input/recommendations are very much appreciated

Posted June 30, 2013 link

Definitely not the Rocky.  Take a look at recent threads on it.  It has not been recommended for quite some time for the reasons already stated above.  Preciso or better is typically recommended these days.  If you can swing the Vario then get it.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 12:47pm

Surpised someone just recommended the Rocky lol. Preciso or Vario easily over a Rocky. Rocky has wide steps, and even with a modded one to act stepless I would still take the Preciso or Vario, plus the Rocky sucks for single dosing in comparison to the Baratzas. The Preciso is also one of the best coarse grinders b/c of it's very little fines production, I'm not sure on the Vario for coarse but they do have a separate burr set for coarse use however that takes away from it's espresso capabilities (which blow away the Rocky in taste). You can easily use a Preciso for both, but if your using it a ton daily switching back and forth you'll pry go through adjustments rings frequently from wear.

You could do a refurb preciso or vario in your budget (check baratzas site on thrusdays as they update their refurb listings then), or a Preciso and something like the Encore which is only 120 or so for coarse needs. Someone will have to chime in on the Varios coarse grinding as I'm not sure there, and if you get the Vario another grinder for coarse will pry be out of your budget.
JScottTuck

Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 1:55pm

Thanks for all of the advice! I ended up picking up a Vario for $350 (New in the box) off of eBay. I contacted Vario before purchasing, and they seemed good with honoring the warranty for 1 year from the purchase date of the original seller, so I'm still waiting to get that information. Hopefully I won't need the warranty, but I have noticed that a few on here have. Anyway, thanks again for all of the advice. Hopefully it serves me well.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 2:04pm

JScottTuck Said:

Thanks for all of the advice! I ended up picking up a Vario for $350 (New in the box) off of eBay. I contacted Vario before purchasing, and they seemed good with honoring the warranty for 1 year from the purchase date of the original seller, so I'm still waiting to get that information. Hopefully I won't need the warranty, but I have noticed that a few on here have. Anyway, thanks again for all of the advice. Hopefully it serves me well.

Posted July 1, 2013 link

Nice price! I'd get a seperate one for your coarse needs, espresso is really good to have a dialed in standalone grinder so your not chasing grinds like crazy going from fine to coarse constantly. Check out the Baratza Encore, cheap and awesome for coarse. Not sure what shipping would be to Lebanon though, but check Baratza site on thursday for a refurb if you decide you want a separate grinder. There are other cheaper grinders but they have bad retention and other issues, the Infinity for example grinds similar to the Encore however it has horrible retention that'll be pushing stale grinds out constantly.
JScottTuck

Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 2:09pm

CMIN Said:

Nice price! I'd get a seperate one for your coarse needs, espresso is really good to have a dialed in standalone grinder so your not chasing grinds like crazy going from fine to coarse constantly. Check out the Baratza Encore, cheap and awesome for coarse. Not sure what shipping would be to Lebanon though, but check Baratza site on thursday for a refurb if you decide you want a separate grinder. There are other cheaper grinders but they have bad retention and other issues, the Infinity for example grinds similar to the Encore however it has horrible retention that'll be pushing stale grinds out constantly.

Posted July 1, 2013 link

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I'll look into the Encore. As for shipping, I'm actually in US, so it would be standard. (TN to be exact) Lebanon is the city I live in, just forgot to update the profile after I set it up last night....But...Yeah, I know switching the grinds will be a pain, so I'll end up picking up something later. I may be "stuck" drinking only espresso for a while, as I had to show my wife convincing videos on why I needed to buy an "expensive" grinder, so she might make me sleep on the couch if I were to buy another one right away!
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > I'm relatively...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292747974396)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+