Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Please help me choose a grinder:)
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Please help me...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AntWilliams90
AntWilliams90
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario Home
Roaster: Dieckmann Rostmeister
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 1:11am
Subject: Re: Please help me choose a grinder:)

Gaggia Classic - nothing too fancy! ;)

As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.
 View Profile Link to this post
Zipp303

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 1:13am

Same as myself for the moment, but I am looking at a NS Musica. Only thing that concerns me is the size, the mini vivaldi might be better but will cost me another $500.
kafegeek

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: delonghi
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 11:05pm

Vario would be a good choice for you! ;)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Rhinoevans

Espresso: La Spaziale S1, Starbucks...
Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 2:44am

Don't over look the Rocky Doserless.  I have had mine for over 9 years and it still grinds perfect to makes excellent espresso.  I have not  even changed the bur set.  I personally don't need a grinder that has a timer or that weights the beans.  I pre measure my beans and grind into portafiler till the beans are gone.   I am looking for a good scale to periodically measure my output just for reference.  Just like the gauge i use to check boiler pressure ever now and then.  The Baratza seems like good grinders, and was going to pick one up as a spare to my Rocky, but as of late, seem to many issues with them.  Just a dependable grinder to just grind the beans without telling time and weighing the beans and without all the extra electronic stuff is what I like.  Good luck in your hunt.  Remember the hunt is the most important part of the adventure!!!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 7:25am

If you find a used Rocky at a give away price it will work but like everything, as time goes on, the market changes and Rocky is pretty outdated for what you get and the price you pay new in todays market.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 8:28pm

First off I'll make the caveat that I'm a relative noob to the world of espresso. However, I was obsessive about the quality of my coffee long before I got into this and that certainly did not change when I moved over to smaller volumes of a better beverage ;-)  This is actually the first piece of advice I've given out on CG, but I use the same Gaggia Classic as you so you might find solace in someone's opinion with similar equipment.  

First-off, please make sure you look into the various threads regarding static pressure measurement and adjustment to the Gaggia if you have not already done so.  This 15 minute adjustment was the difference between disappointment and crema I wish I could swim in.  

My opinion on build quality:
I can't speak too much about the other grinders you mentioned as I have not used them.  I researched and got close to purchasing a used Mazzer Mini (the timer model, similar price to a vario) and as everyone says, it appears as they are built like tanks.  There is a lot of talk about the vario having a slight leg up on the Mazzer in grind quality at the espresso-finness setting range--some people will say it's true and others will say it's not so.  The fact that so many people say one produces such a slightly better grind than the other implies that we're dealing with opinions more-so than fact...so take some of it with a grain of salt.  I do believe that the Mazzer will outlast the vario.  A few tremendously experienced espresso grinding experts on this forum and others have written about how much of a difference simple maintenance can make in the life of a Baratza grinder.  This is equivalent to whether or not you get regular oil changes in your car...will you pop the Vario's hopper off once a month and brush out the burr-holder housing and exit chute?  That alone seems to make a huge difference, takes about 60 seconds, and is enjoyable if you enjoy fiddling with coffee (and I'm guessing you do if you're here at all).  I take pride in the coffee equipment I've decided to buy with my limited funds and I not only want the most bang for my buck, but for it to last for years.  I don't mind doing little things like brushing out the housing because many nice things require regular maintenance if you want them to last.

Baratza:
I ended up with a Vario and have no need to look back.  The ceramic burrs of the Vario are a tremendous piece of engineering and warrant discussion compared to stainless steel, for some reason I don't see too much conversation about that.  The ideal kitchen knife is one that is both tremendously hard and tremendously tough.  Hardness allows the knife to hold its edge, and toughness allows for microscopic bending without chipping/snapping--2 characteristics important if you consider what a knife does: cut something and then hit a cutting board that will inevitably bend it with with the the angle of your wrist and cutting motion.  Iron is tremendously tough, but not hard (I can bend it, but if I sharpen it it will dull).   Diamonds are tremendously hard but not tough (it's so hard that its brittle, so bending/big impact will cause a chip, but if you sharpened it it would almost never lose its edge).  Steel burrs are more like iron (and are in fact just a harder compound of iron) while ceramic burrs are more like diamonds.  My coffee burrs do one thing, grind two 16 gram doses per day...of coffee...not exactly the most difficult thing around to crush when we're talking about steel and ceramic.  If I was using the grinder in a commercial setting it would be a no brainer to go for the Mazzer or other steel-burr machine because of the high volume of use and need to stand up to it.  Yes, the ceramic burrs of the Vario can chip if you put something like a rock through them because ceramic is so hard, but it's going to take a long, long time to dull them with household use compared to a steel burr set.  In this sense, the Vario's burrs will outlast the Mazzer's steel.  Sorry about being so wordy, but ceramics are a wonder.  

Baratza's customer service is the absolute best I've ever dealt with, anywhere, ever.  Ironically enough, when I first got the grinder I thought there may have been a slight chip on the top burr.  I sent their customer service a pic and told them I wasn't sure what it was, and that if they think it wouldn't affect the grinder I would be happy enough.  They responded that it was so small it would not affect anything, but that they wanted to 2 day air me a new set regardless, no questions asked...these are good people.  I once called the company's customer service when I was researching the grinders and then realized that one of the company's owners had picked up the phone and had a conversation with me...you wont find that elsewhere.  If something is out of warranty but malfunctions, they would probably still help you out because they want happy customers.  At the end of day, the vario is a heavy machine that sits on my countertop except when I brush it out.  It's not getting abused like a comercial machine, so it doesn't need to be a commercial machine...

The portaholder is great if you want to grind directly into the basket, the footprint is small, it looks nice, its quite and purrs like a kitten, and I've never imaged my espresso could taste so good.  I'm sure you will not be disappointed in any of the grinders you are looking at, they are all quality, but I've enjoyed my Vario so much and been so well taken care of by the company that I had to recommend it.  

Sorry about writing a book, my girlfriend went to bed instead of watching the Hobbit so I got left here with a bottle of vino...woops.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 2:57am

There are specialized names such as Solis Crema Maestro, Rancillio, Gaggia or Baratza. The above grinders will grind most evenly and consistently than any other machine which can give a perfect espresso. You can even choose from the usual kitchen appliances brand including Black & Decker, Breville KitchenAid, or Capresso.

If you want to have an affordable grinder, you may choose the one with a fairly high quality flat burr grinder.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 5:21am

CoffeeLoversMag Said:

There are specialized names such as Solis Crema Maestro, Rancillio, Gaggia or Baratza. The above grinders will grind most evenly and consistently than any other machine which can give a perfect espresso. You can even choose from the usual kitchen appliances brand including Black & Decker, Breville KitchenAid, or Capresso.

If you want to have an affordable grinder, you may choose the one with a fairly high quality flat burr grinder.

Posted July 24, 2013 link

dude the guy is looking at Mahlkonigs, Mazzers, and Compak.....and your gonna recommend a Rocky, or Gaggia MDF....and then also recommend Black and Decker, Capresso, Breville, or Kitchen Aid?!?!?

Need to stop posting this bs in all your posts. I hope your mag your promoting doesn't have this.

I like my Preciso, but put down the crack pipe lol, it nor any of the others you mention compare to an HG One or K10 etc..let alone plenty of other espresso only grinders. Abd you mention others that don't even make grinders like these.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 9:42am

It's OK, the mag is only through Itunes.

I refuse to have anything to do with "I" anything, that company is way too closed minded and iron fist controlling for my tastes.

Anyway, the part you can see without the lame I app, seems to be consumer orientated, not that there is anything wrong with that, there are a lot more consumers than geeks in the world, a lot more.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
LowThudd

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso, Mukka,...
Grinder: Grindmaster 625(RR45)
Roaster: Salton Popcorn popper
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 10:27am

I am really happy with my eBay bought commercial Rossi RR45 that I got for $120 shipped. If you don't mind doing some cleaning and maintenance(mine was recently serviced), there are great deals out there on commercial equipment that will likely outlive the user. lol
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Please help me...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270716905594)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+