Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Vario in the Summer/Humidity
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Chanty

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 11:57am
Subject: Re: Baratza Vario in the Summer/Humidity

No, the wonderful world of Espresso is making me nuts.  This is the only group of people I know that maybe "get me" that way.   My family & friends think I'm crazy & look at me like I'm from another planet.  Trust me, they would not go through what I go through to get a decent cup of cappuccino.     No, it did not flow faster when micro was on B, but I have had it happen where I have it on a finer grind & it is flowing slow & all the sudden turns into a blonding gusher.  
When we were calibrating finer, you are supposed to hear a tone change as it gets finer.  We heard NO tone change, thus I don't know if that means it is as fine as it is going to get or what.   The tool has "finer" engraved with arrows showing the direction to go finer on the tool.  You stick it in the hole & turn it (I believe it is clockwise in the direction of the arrows).  It's not rocket science, so I have no idea why we didn't hear a tone change.
 View Profile Link to this post
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:15pm

Make sure that the calibrating tool is completely in. I had the problem of not getting it completely in and it should be a slight challenge to get it back out after you calibrate

Put the two sliders all the way to the bottom and remember the sound you hear. Go to the point you want to calibrate off of (default is 1 Macro and halfway on Micro), I used 2A. As you calibrate finer the machine should sound like its struggling (I didn't know what they meant by tone either). After this, pull back a few micros (mine is about 2G) and try a shot. After you tamp, you should not be able to see any granuales (should be smooth).

Maybe the humidity or whatnot knocked the heck out of the calibration?
Chanty

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:24pm

The tool was in because my hubby did have a problem getting it out.  If you heard "struggling" or "laboring" of the grinder as you were calibrating it--that would be the tone you were looking for.  We heard nothing.  Yet, when I moved the micro all the way down to the bottom & turned grinder on & moved them slowly up--I heard a tone (more like a chirpy noise) at H.
brianl

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:35pm

I can't tell by your last response if you had the grinder running while you were calibrating or not (since you said '& turned the grinder on').

You can try making a video and i'm sure people might be able to identify the 'chirping noise' because the first thing i think of is burrs touching. But I cant tell by the descriptions. I'd consider touching buurs to be more a 'screetching sound' so you're probably fine. My Vario just sounds like it ran a marathon when i go to 2A. I don't want to have you keep calibrating finer until the burrs touch.
Chanty

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:54pm

Whenever I am going UP or finer on Micro or Macro, the motor is on & running.  When I move down, one does not need to have the motor running.  When I was calibrating, the motor was on so we would be able to hear the "tone" (which we did not).   The more I talk about this, the stupider I feel....
Chanty

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 2:43pm

I recalibrated.  Why?  Because to me, it wasn't fine enough if I had to have the grinder on Micro B to get a slower shot.  Now I hear the chirpy noise at Q instead of H.  I'm getting so confused.  I'm assuming my "chirpy" noise is the tone or the laboring we are to hear when it is recalibrated to finer, right?   So does this mean I can try grinding my beans at Q tomorrow or does that mean it will be really, really fine at Q because of the recalibration chirping noise at Q.  Please say I'm making some sense....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Chanty

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 3:57pm

Colin (Baratza) told me if he was calibrating he would have it at Macro 1, Micro Q.  I don't use 1, only 2 on macro.  Macro 1 seems to choke.   Does anyone who soley drinks espresso drinks use Macro 1 instead of 2?
MJJ

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 8:42pm

You can use pliers to grip the upper burr for removal, it's easy this way. If you don't want to scratch it just put some masking tape over your pliers' teeth. Baratza sells a burr removal tool on their website for $10, but pliers will save you the bother of buying this.
  My Vario is starting to make a nasty squealy noise. Time to open it up (again), last time a screw had loosened somewhere around the belt.
brianl

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 9:30am

Chanty Said:

I recalibrated.  Why?  Because to me, it wasn't fine enough if I had to have the grinder on Micro B to get a slower shot.  Now I hear the chirpy noise at Q instead of H.  I'm getting so confused.  I'm assuming my "chirpy" noise is the tone or the laboring we are to hear when it is recalibrated to finer, right?   So does this mean I can try grinding my beans at Q tomorrow or does that mean it will be really, really fine at Q because of the recalibration chirping noise at Q.  Please say I'm making some sense....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted June 24, 2013 link

I did exactly what you did. I got a choke at 2J instead of like 2A. it makes perfect sense and was what i was telling you I did earlier. Your description of chirpy gives me the shivers though. I never like to hear that. But like I said it could sound different to me. why i mentioned a video or something.

The only reason someone would calibrate on macro 1 is if they needed the coarsest grinds for press or something.

It's good practice to have the machine running when you are going coarser too. I find a lot of excess ground still come out. Whether it's necessary is up to date but whenever i touch the sliders the grinder is on.
Chanty

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 9:56am

brianl, you said, " Your description of chirpy gives me the shivers though. I never like to hear that".    I brought this up with Colin, one of the main techs at Baratza who works on Varios all the time.  This is what he said, "The sounds can be heard as either a chirp or a laboring noise, the finer you go, the more it begins to sound like a laboring motor. This is totally normal and should not be of concern".
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249195814133)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+