Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Compak K-8 Fresh or K-10 Fresh for "chocolate notes"
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Compak K-8 Fresh...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
GlowingGhoul

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 10:19am
Subject: Compak K-8 Fresh or K-10 Fresh for "chocolate notes"

I do not like "brightness". I prefer deep, heavy, rounded sweet flavors.

So, I was about to pull the trigger on a K-10 Fresh but I'm really wondering if the 83mm flat burrs of the K-8 will do a better job for me than the K-10.

What's confusing me is that I've read flat burrs will give me more pronounced chocolate notes than a conical,  however I've also read that the K-8 Fresh produces the same results in the cup as the K-10, but requires more careful dialing in.

If the flavor profile is the same, the more expensive K10 would probably be a better option since it's quieter, lower RPM, and much longer lasting burrs.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 7:30pm
Subject: Re: Compak K-8 Fresh or K-10 Fresh for "chocolate notes"

I don't know whether you're going to get a more definitive answer than what you've already read. I for one would love to have the ability to purchase a titan class conical burr grinder. I enjoy the good chocolates myself but I don't think I would find them lacking. I have ran into an opinion or two where a person liked there flat burrs better, possibly the same threads you have seen.
Have you searched HB for more info? there are a number of grinder and burr comparisons there that might help. In the end it's all what tastes good to you, and unfortunately you won't really know until you try.
Possibly you could visit a few shops and taste some espressos from different grinders to help your decision. There are more expensive flat burr grinders you could look at if it makes you feel better ;-)
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013, 8:06pm

i've never had more 'chocolate notes' from using a flat burr over a conical grinder, although i hear the flat helps (like you read).

I would think it'd be more important using the 'right beans' and the 'right dose' before jumping to the grinder (unless you don't have a good grinder now). my local shop has multiple mazzer majors set up with different beans. I've had their chocolate bomb espresso blend and the super fruity single origin from africa and its a flat burr grinder.

sorry if i was telling you stuff that you already knew.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013, 9:23pm

I would not think twice about getting the titan conical over flat burr. Get your chocolate in the bean selection; that's easy.
GlowingGhoul

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 8:48am

Frost Said:

I would not think twice about getting the titan conical over flat burr. Get your chocolate in the bean selection; that's easy.

Posted June 26, 2013 link

I appreciate all the responses from my more experienced coffee brethren.

OK, if the flavor profile imparted by flat vs conical is minimal (if it's there at all), why get the more expensive K10 conical? What difference will it make in the cup?
GlowingGhoul

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 8:50am

brianl Said:

i've never had more 'chocolate notes' from using a flat burr over a conical grinder, although i hear the flat helps (like you read).

I would think it'd be more important using the 'right beans' and the 'right dose' before jumping to the grinder (unless you don't have a good grinder now). my local shop has multiple mazzer majors set up with different beans. I've had their chocolate bomb espresso blend and the super fruity single origin from africa and its a flat burr grinder.

sorry if i was telling you stuff that you already knew.

Posted June 26, 2013 link

I don't have a grinder at all, at the moment. I'm looking at a major upgrade from a Jura superauto.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 9:23am

The conical will save you coffee and early morning frustration in getting and keeping dialed in. This alone would be pay off in the first months of use; less fiddling with the grind dial and more perfect pours.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 2:10pm

Interesting. I find that I am not fudging around with the adjustment all that much. Flat burrs too. Then the AZ is a more expensive grinder. I have Majors too, they don't take a lot of fudging with either. Perhaps I am just lucky.

Or is it that with better grinders, regardless of flat or conical burrs, they are a little less  touchy anyway. ? YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
itsleighton

Espresso: La Marzocco GB5, PID Silvia,
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E, Mazzer Major...
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 12:20pm

My Two cents.....Ive had Super Jolly's (E model and doser models), Majors (E and Doser), and a Robur E.  I will NEVER have a flat burr grinder ever again.  I have my Robur dialed in and home roast a number of different beans and try different beans / blends every week.  I very, very rarely adjust the grind.  

When I had both of my Major's, I would have to adjust it almost daily and typically waste at least a shot or two worth of coffee every morning.  The same went for my Super Jolly's.  I haven't wasted a shot of coffee with my Robur in as long as I can remember.  The sweet spot on that grinder is a mile wide.

In regards to determining brightness or chocolate taste notes in the same coffee.. I've never felt a grinder determined that outside of causing the shot to be bitter or not.  The bean or the blend? Absolutely. The Robur with the conicals bring out the notes in coffees that I was never able to produce even with a La Marzocco GB5 machine and a Mazzer Major flat burr grinder.  But, with my Robur-- even my wife (not a coffee nut) can taste subtle notes of different coffees with a PID'd Silvia machine.  I can mostly taste the difference on the La Marzocco and the Silvia, but just barely.  

I know you've heard it many times before, but having the best grinder almost really does make the choice of machine less and less important.  I fully attribute it to the slower moving conical burrs, but what do I know.

If you were to ask me. I'd say find a bean or number of beans you feel has the chocolate notes you are looking for and spend as much as you can possibly afford on a titan conical grinder- Kony, K10, Robur and I'd bet you'' look back and never regret your decision.  The coffee is where the flavors start, the better the grinder means it screws up the flavor of the bean less than other grinders IMO
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Compak K-8 Fresh...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.260146141052)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+