Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Vario Grinder, going from micro O to C and blonding issues
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario Grinder,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Chanty

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 4:14pm
Subject: Vario Grinder, going from micro O to C and blonding issues

I'm sooooo frustrated. The tabs on the micro/macro seem to be staying put so I don't need to add shims, so I don't know why the grinder is acting so temperamental.    I went through the whole fall/winter/spring & worked beautifully.  No matter what blend of beans I used; it was pretty consistent.  The last month blonding is happening way too soon (10-15 sec.) & have to keep making it finer.  Wasting so much coffee.   Now today, I blew through a 1/2 lb. of beans just about in one session.  They were only Day 5 (post roast), so not old.  I started on O on the micro---blonded in about 10-15 seconds.  Then ended up at C (12 steps finer).  That seemed to work okay.  I've never ever had to go that fine in one day of opening a new roast or the same day of opening the new roast.   Is the Vario that temperamental with humidity?  I had my old Gaggia MDF for years & that never was finicky with the different blends.  I got rid of it because it didn't have enough steps to work optimum for me.    Is this just me????? Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 4:29pm
Subject: Re: Vario Grinder, going from micro O to C and blonding issues

I thought of this thread by brianl, though you may have seen it

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/631352

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Chanty

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 5:08pm

I did see it.  I'm not mechanical, and maybe I just need to find a good solid grinder that I don't have to play around with.  I love the customer service at Vario, but no one should have to be recalibrating a newer Vario nor playing around with adding shims because the arms loosen.  These are things (for $400) that should not be an issue.
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 2:18pm

Like discussed in my posts. It's not the grinder. It's the beans when they get humid. They age faster and ask that jazz.
Chanty

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 2:37pm

I have to respectively disagree with you.  I received my 2nd Vario in September when our humidity in Wisconsin was still really, really (did I say REALLY?) high.  Last summer was unbearable with humidity & went into September with high humidity.   I did not have this issue in our worst humidity, so I have a hard time believing it is going to make my Vario gusherville unfunctionable now.  The Vario before that had no issues that I remember with gushers in humidity.  What happened with that one was a screw came loose inside the machine, so had to send it back.    I'm thinking either it has lost calibration (it was finely calbitrated--more so than what the machine initially comes at) or there are bigger problems.  Very upset, as I cannot use it & don't even know what the heck we did with the calibration tool if that is even the problem......arghhhhh
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 3:26pm

you should be re calibrating every couple weeks with the Vario. it's $400, sure, but that's relatively cheap in the grinder world.
Chanty

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 3:31pm

I was never under the impression I had to recalibrate every few weeks. NEVER
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 10:41pm

I've owned both a Vario and now (the past nearly a year) a Vario-W.
I recalibrate about every 6-8 weeks. Also, different seasons mean different beans.
One thing I'd recommend is a thorough cleaning, including removing the lower burr. Make sure you run the Macro and Micro arms up and down several times, and maybe at a distance, spray a bit of compressed air in each levers "groove."

After reassembly, perform your calibration.
Let us know if that helps!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chanty

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 10:55pm

We removed the upper burr & cleaned & blew out coffee debris/grinds.  Colin said we only had to remove the upper.  Also moved the micro/macro levers up & down several times.
We found the calibration tool & followed the exact directions to recalibrate to finer.  When moving the lever completely down on Macro & Micro, then turned on & moved Macro slowly up to 1.  It made no straining or different tone until it got to 1 on the Macro.  Then it sounded more chirpy than a tone.  Moved micro up to 1/2 mark (M).   Calibrated, but did not hear any tone change.  Moved Micro down to bottom.   Turned machine on & slowly moved up to middle- (M).  When it got to M,  the tone changed, again to a "chirpy" noise.  Don't know if that is a normal tone for the "laboring" sound one is supposed to hear.   I will try making my espresso in the afternoon to see if cleaning the burrs & recalibrating (even though it sounded chirpy) worked or not.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario Grinder,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.221784114838)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+