Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Refurb Baratza Vario or Used Mazzer Mini?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Refurb Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 8:24am
Subject: Refurb Baratza Vario or Used Mazzer Mini?

I'm using the grinder for my morning espresso habit.  I have a not-so-great older burr if I should want to make the rare drip pot so coarser grinds aren't much of a concern.  I have the option to get a used Mazzer Mini or a refurb Baratza Vario.  The cost difference between the grinders is only $50.  The Mazzer is used but in great condition, I'm not sure what the condition of the burrs are so I'll make the assumption that I'll need to replace them in a year or so.  Baratza refurb machines are basically new (if not better),  and of course comes with the awesome customer service of Baratza.  I've dont lots of reading on the high grind qualities, I'm familiar with the differences between the steel burs and the ceramic.  It seems that for espresso use only, the Baratza might actually be a better choice.  The Mazzer is clearly a tank, but is used and does not have the tremendous customer support for problems that come along.  I don't really plan on upgrading grinders after this for a long long time, so re-sale isn't a huge concern of mine, although it appears that both hold their value decently well (the mazzer coming out on top there).  I'm also concerned about the size of the titan grinder....its big.  Between a relatively compact home espresso machine (Gaggia GC), grinder, kockbox, tampers, and all the other stuff we accumulate...I'm running out of room for my toaster!

I'm leaning towards the refurb Baratza if you could't tell, but I really want to hear the opinions of you all before I do it.  If you all say I'm crazy and that I need to go with the Mazzer, I'll take the advice.  Thanks a lot!
 View Profile Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 10:12am
Subject: Re: Refurb Baratza Vario or Used Mazzer Mini?

Both are great capable grinders. My vote goes to the Vario for superior grind quality, near-zero retention, and small footprint. Bought mine as a refurb and have not regretted it once.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 1:05pm

Whitcoatsyndrom Said:

The Mazzer is clearly a tank, but is used and does not have the tremendous customer support for problems that come along.

Posted June 18, 2013 link

It really doesn't need it.  They're durable and when problems do arise they're simple machines, parts are readily available and there are plenty of people that are very familiar with them.

Pros and cons on each side.  Do you value better grind quality over tank like like build quality or vice versa?  Normally I'd prefer the Mazzer build quality but the Vario does have the edge on performance.

Whitcoatsyndrom Said:

I'm also concerned about the size of the titan grinder....its big.

The Mini isn't a Titan.  Now the Robur & Kony, on the other hand...
Freddo58

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 2:42pm

takeshi Said:

Normally I'd prefer the Mazzer build quality but the Vario does have the edge on performance.

FWIW, not on grind quality (IMO - but this is subjective).  Speed and features yes.
Buying the Mazzer used has some disadvantages.  One is that (at least where I am) many of the Mazzer minis for sale are ex cafes where they are used for decaf or second/third grinders.  You should probably factor in the price of a set of burrs (which should last 5 years in domestic use). Cosmetic condition is often poor - despite being near indestructible, they do get banged around a fair bit.  The other is that when new, the factory calibration is very handy for a newbie, so long as you're using fresh beans, then you can almost guarantee that you'll pull an acceptable shot first-off with it set right on the calibration sticker arrow.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 2:59pm

Having just had a session with both grinders (note I owned 2 SJ's and now own a Vario-W) I'd vote for the Vario.
However, when the mini is dialed in, other than the clumping I found the TASTE of the shots, while slightly different, of equal quality.
The Vario, overall is more home user friendly, wastes practically nothing,  is quiet, and has excellent CS.

Edit...shots pulled on on a DB machine.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 3:25pm

Vario, better grind quality and Baratza grinders have very little retention, and usually a quick tap or purge get's the half gram or so out, that's how it is on my Preciso and the Vario is similar. It's just going to be more friendly for the home user, Mazzer is chunky but it's not a Titan.
Freddo58

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 4:05pm

IMAWriter Said:

However, when the mini is dialed in, other than the clumping.

Posted June 19, 2013 link

You're presumably talking Mini-E, not mini, different machines and burr sets.  Clumping shouldn't ever be an issue with the mini.
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 7:48pm

Thanks for the great advice everyone, much appreciated.  Sorry about the "titan" misnomer, won't happen again!  I think I'm going to end up going for the Vario, I think the Mazzer is just too big for me right now, even in its "mini" form.  I also like the smaller amount of retained ginds .
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Refurb Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292392015457)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+