Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Vario in the Summer/Humidity
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 9:25am
Subject: Re: Baratza Vario in the Summer/Humidity

That does sound promisingly. I've since got the blackcat to work fairly well. I just stopped opening the windows when it's hot (AC on more too) and it seems to be better.

I do think that the Vario has nothing to do with it (just that it's a popular grinder so it comes up more often).

I came accross this topic and it doesn't sound like it's a health risk if this guy is straight up drinking it, ha. http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/general/40048. It also looks like it's used as a health supplement. probably safe there.

However, Buckley, is it Calcium chloride or calcium carbonate? You mention both.
 View Profile Link to this post
Chanty

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 9:39am

I'm just so perplexed about the humidity thing.  I don't want to blame the grinder either 100% because I know weather has a big play in it.  Yet, I don't always remember this kind of issue happening as severely as it has been lately.  Sure, I had humidity issues like we've discussed, but not constantly.   So far, I've cleaned the burrs, recalibrated--so will see if any of that helped.  My thoughts are humidity is evident if you are moving your micro from say--Q to say L.  In other words, humidity along with age of the beans is going to cause you to go somewhat finer.  Yet when you have fresh beans & no matter where you put the grind---whether it is Q, L or all the way up to C & it still gushes--something else must be going on.    It also doesn't work so well if you go through a "cheap" bag of beans to find the sweet spot on your grinder (during humidity times) because just because you found "B" works well on the cheapo bag in high humidity doesn't mean you won't have to go through an entire bag of expensive beans to find out nothing works or "A" works.  You know what I mean?  
We have an old house with radiant heat & one small a/c unit, so no central air to suck the humidity out.  Will have to see if all my work on this machine yesterday helped at all.  If not, hopefully Baratza will help me or I'll have to limit my home cappuccinos.  :(
Buckley

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 9:49am

Chanty Said:

This calcium carbonate sounds promising, but my questions would be twofold.  One is, would this product rob the beans of too much moisture where they have another problem because they dry out too much?   Also, could this calcium carbonate somehow "leach" into the beans & be a health hazard?

Posted June 24, 2013 link

Dear Chanty,
Good questions.
Second one first: no, calcium chloride is a salt with very strong bonds between the calcium ion and the carbonate ions.  It will not 'evaporate' either one of those substances into the environment of the canister.  It is as stable as table salt in this regard.  Its characteristic is to strongly hold onto water at its surface, creating a higher concentration that the water concentration in the ambient air, effectively lowering the water concentration of the air.  As the moisture begins to dissolve the CaCl2, more surface is exposed to the air, attracting more moisture.  It is very effective, which brings us to your first question.
I have tried this method in the near-tropics and I have never noticed any change in the character of the beans but, at the time, I was not using top quality, fresh beans and not infusing espresso, so I cannot answer the question directly.  I expect any 'crunch' sounds of the beans being ground might become higher pitched, like a 'crinch' if the beans become more brittle.  The oil within the beans will not evaporate from the beans and be adsorbed by the CaCl2, so the beans should not completely change to a 'dried-up' appearance.
Anecdote: a large goat-skin and wooden damaru (Tibetan drum) was difficult to tune and hold its tune while I was living in Louisiana, so I placed it in a 5 gallon bucket with a Damp-Rid container and sealed it with a lid.  I opened it one week later only to find that the wood had dried out and split, ruining the drum.  The wood had no oils in it and was pretty fragile.
I do not expect beans to splinter and split from this treatment and, if I were going to do it again, I would continue with the salt shaker half full of CaCl2.  Overnight should do it.  If you think that the beans are too dry for whatever reason (I can't think of how this would manifest as a problem except to alter the grind setting result slightly), you could always try a scant amount (1/2 tsp.) of CaCl2 in the bottom of the shaker.
P.S. It is necessary to isolate the CaCl2 from the beans; the holes at the top of the shaker are smaller than the CaCl2 granules but will let the moisture drift in.  A tea-infuser would not work, since the CaCl2 becomes wet as it is doing its job and the solution would leak out, ruining the beans.

Buckley
Buckley

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 9:53am

brianl Said:

However, Buckley, is it Calcium chloride or calcium carbonate? You mention both.

Posted June 24, 2013 link

Sorry.  Brain reboot.  It is calcium chloride.  It is not calcium carbonate.  I will edit the previous posts.  Thank you.
B
Chanty

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 10:04am

Thanks Buckley, very thorough, thought provoking info.  I may try that.  Makes a lot of sense especially since it should just take the moisture out & not the oils.  I wonder how much moisture normal roasted beans have in them in dry/low humidity weather? Hmmmm
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 10:40am

Earlier in the thread I mentioned problems with the Preciso probably due to humidity.  While the title includes Vario, it seems more about humidity now.  What about other brand grinders?  If it is humidity should there not be similar from other brand espresso grinders.  Again, they may not be inclined to post in a Vario thread, but it would be interesting to know now that it is more about humidity.  Also a bit more reassuring that it is humidity and not the grinder.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Chanty

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 10:45am

d4F,
I agree.  Again, I'm not convinced it is ALL about the humidity as I never remember the severity of the issues I'm having now.  YES, I notice different things when the humidity is higher in our house--heck--even the milk doesn't want to froth properly with changes in humidity in the house.   I understand and don't mind some changes of the grinds with weather.  What I am talking about is massive changes in the grind to NO AVAIL.  This, IMHO, is not normal.
Chanty

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:06pm

Okay update since yesterday's re-calibration & cleaning the burrs (9 month old reconditioned machine)  Reconditioned, but newer reconditioned.
Always fresh beans...
Micro= D,  Macro=2,    20-23 sec. shot, started blonding at 20sec.  ME NO LIKE...
Micro= B, Macro= 2     30-35 sec. shot before started blonding, better but B?  Really?  Is humidity affecting from a normal Q to B?

One thing I noticed was that a few times the micro slipped about 1-2 notches as it was grinding.  I put them back where I wanted & it seems to be holding now.  Don't know if they slipped because of futzing around with it yesterday between the calibration& trying to get the upper burrs out.  My husband had a hard time getting the upper burrs out.  How would I do it???????????????????????
Chanty

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:18pm

Oh, and another thing.  Today might be "B" on the micro, but tomorrow may be.....what comes before A; oh yeah that's right--nothing.   Here's the thing.  I've gone through about 1 1/2 lbs. of beans in the last 3 days.   How do ya'll have the money to keep buying beans at $12-17 a pound (not including shipping) if you are fortunate to find a local roaster that is good.  
How does one really know if it is a problem with the grinder not doing its job OR humidity wreaking havoc.  I don't think anyone has addressed that question.  When do you say humidity wouldn't be causing such extreme problems and maybe it's a machine problem?   For example, my flow could start coming out slow and within seconds start blonding and fast flow.   NO, don't say it is my espresso machine.
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:50pm

Like I said, calibrating fixed my problem (so far, knock on wood).

How do you get Q to B? Didn't you recalibrate? Therefore, Q is a moot point. If you don't want to hang around 2B, calibrate finer. I was getting about 2B and wanted more room so I calibrated it finer and now its at 2I.

So based on your results, you went from D to B and it got quicker?

And about the micro slider, they do slip in the A-D range and Baratza will send you shims to fix it, or you can just hold it or calibrate lower as those lower ones don't slip.

The world of espresso is wonderful, isn't it?

BTW D4F, I have another humidity topic in the questions and answers forum that has other input beyond the Vario.
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261218070984)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+