Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Vario in the Summer/Humidity
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES920xl
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: Pour over: Melita Ceramic
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 7:19pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Vario in the Summer/Humidity

interesting recent thread on the HB board: Look up "Thin, boring espresso with little crema. Did I get a bad batch of coffee?"
you may find another just like it here in the history, I found it interesting to see the dialog come along about the same time there as I touched base in my browse tonight.
 View Profile Link to this post
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 7:19pm

that's the thing. I'm not sure how the vario is responding to the grind adjustments. It seemed to be fine last week or even a few days ago but the past few days, not so much. I always run the grinder whether i'm going finer or coarser.

The only change with the grinder was that I added the shims so the micro lever doesn't jump. Machine was off and the micro lever might have jumped a bit while the machine was off (finer). I remember it being iffy before doing this so I doubt thats what is causing this.

I had crema two days ago before the gushers started.

I guess i'll have to get new beans and see if that fixes this. I just find it strange as it's the second time in the past month. two bad batches so soon (two different roasters)? hmm.
brianl

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 5:48am

I also had a question that isn't completely related but might as well use this thread.

What is the overlap on the Vario's Macro Settings? I fell like I have gone from 2A and tried 1Q and have gotten more flow. Do most people just calibrate to one macro?
MJJ

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 8:47pm

It could well be your beans. However my Vario recently went wonky and the grind just became coarser. I couldn't get it fine enough oddly. So after a few days I took off the top burr and cleaned it, then cleaned what I could around the bottom burr. Then I stuck a bent paper clip up the grind chute to clear out any build up there. When all was said and done the grind went back to normal. I don't understand what happened but something was preventing proper grind set up.
  By the way, I calibrate my Vario at 2 macro instead of 1, that gives me more fine options. I adjust the fine tuning almost every day, things are always changing.
Chanty

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 11:03pm

I have the same identical thing going on, and it is more frustrating and money wasting with beans than I can even say.  I also have the same setup--a Gaggia Classic & a Vario.  When I purchased the Vario, something broke (not my fault) & the customer svc. people were/are great.  They replaced it.  At the time I asked if they could calibrate it even finer because I didn't know if it was my Gaggia or the beans, but I kept getting gushers no matter how fine I set it.  They calibrated it finer.  I have to say in the Fall, Winter & Spring--very consistent with whatever blend of beans I used.  All the sudden June comes along, and in Wisconsin we have had a really cool June except for the last few days, and no matter what blend of beans I use--gushers.  I have kept the Macro on 2 cuz 1 will choke, but the Micro has been moved from---get this---Q all the way up to C within one day.   Not real normal to me.  This happened about the middle of December (last year) also, but it was short lived--so I figured it was the beans.   Now I'm not so sure.  I don't know if the calibrations have slipped, and I have to play around with that--which, not being mechanical; I hate to do.  I just have a feeling I will make things worse.  I would hope calibrations would not slip after only receiving this last September.  Geez...   I'm also frustrated because my thoughts are why should we have to go through adding shims so the Micro/Macro tabs don't slip.  The adjustment arm shouldn't be loosening up after less than a year of having it using once a day at the most.   So...... I feel your pain.   Let me know if you figured out how to stop the gushers.   I'm to the point, 1.  Get another grinder,  2.  Start getting my fix at coffee shops :(
brianl

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 1:15pm

I just calibrated it a lot finer than I would before. Also. Make sure to do a full clean

My 2a is when the machine is really struggling
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 1:27pm

I am using a Preciso, so the comment is more about what I am seeing with humidity than the Vario, but may be similar.  I get variability that I did not have before.  I started getting a bit more fines in the cup and some dose out variability.  I occasionally see a few bean bit left between the burrs after nothing more comes out.  Interesting that if I let the grinder sit for several hours or overnight and hit the button without adding beans, it will usually kick out the residual.  I single dose, so I just turn on the grinder for a few seconds and clear out the old before using.  I think that humidity is causing grinds to stick in the machine and to partially clog it.  Even if I run a few seconds after the grind seems over the residual/retention does not come out without several hours sitting, drying?  I discussed with Baratza and they did not seem to think anything wrong with the grinder.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Chanty

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 2:03pm

I sent a lengthly email.  Hopefully, they will address my issue.  I probably should be looking for another grinder.  I just thought that by spending $400 on this & doing a lot of research, I wouldn't have these issues.  This is my 3rd Vario in 1 1/2 years.  NO, I am not hard on my machines.  I am very gentle & only use it 1x per day & am very careful with it.
Chanty

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 2:05pm

My husband has been trying very hard (TO NO AVAIL) with removing the upper burr to check for any residue to clean out.  The upper burr will not budge & he is not a weakling.  Geez........................
Chanty

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 2:19pm

Well he got the upper burr out & I cleaned it as best I could.  I will try tomorrow & see what happens.
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.233361959457)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+