Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
K30 Vario - espresso and drip?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > K30 Vario -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jgaepi

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 10:48pm
Subject: K30 Vario - espresso and drip?

I am upgrading my entire set up. Mini Vivaldi and grinder. I keep saying that I will get what I pay for. But I need good espresso sat and sun and weekday evenings, and good technovorm drip mon-fri mornings. Home use. Can I realistically use the k30 for both excellent espresso and drip? Clearly people love it for espresso but no one mentions it for other coffee types? Still on the fence. Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Jun 9, 2013, 1:41am
Subject: Re: K30 Vario - espresso and drip?

The Mahlkönig K30 Vario's designated use is single espresso grinder. Apart from being inconvenient for that use, I doubt that it will grind coarse enough for drip coffee.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
steven_meyer

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sun Jun 9, 2013, 1:51am

Why would you say the K-30 is inconvenient for its designated use? An accurately  very fast grind of beans for espresso? Works great for me.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sun Jun 9, 2013, 2:24am

steven_meyer Said:

Why would you say the K-30 is inconvenient for its designated use?

Posted June 9, 2013 link

It isn't, of course. It grinds perfectly on demand into the portafilter with making only a minimum of a mess. Inconvenient was supposed to refer to its use for drip coffee. Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. Sorry!

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Sun Jun 9, 2013, 6:34am

I can swing it to its maximum coarse grind, and it's too fine for drip -- so, like the other guys said, espresso grinds only.

I'd still suggest you consider it for your espresso grinds only, as it's an excellent grinder -- precise, fast, minimal mess, good looks.

What's your old grinder?  Perhaps you could use that for drip, of find another suitable grinder for coarse grinds only.

Good luck.
jgaepi

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jun 9, 2013, 10:40am

I kind of have been going round and round trying to find a good solution for my new mini vivaldi and my older technovorm. While I have started coming to terms with the larger size of the K30, I really don't want two grinders. I currently have the Breville smart grinder. A buddy has the Macap M4 doserless and can swing the worm drive from espresso to drip pretty quickly. I figured I could do the same with this K30. So now my brain has me going back to the Mazzer Mini E Type A for espresso only, thus two grinders, or maybe compromising on the Mahlkonig Pro M all around - although I have read poor reviews about the Pro M. So I really don't know what the right solution is.

I just don't have the counter space for both the huge K30 and Breville.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sun Jun 9, 2013, 10:48pm

jgaepi Said:

So now my brain has me going back to the Mazzer Mini E Type A for espresso only, thus two grinders, or maybe compromising on the Mahlkonig Pro M all around - although I have read poor reviews about the Pro M. So I really don't know what the right solution is.

Posted June 9, 2013 link

A grinder that would make it easy to quickly switch between different settings is the Baratza (Mahlkönig) Vario. It's of course a whole different class than the K30, but I would still consider it a significant upgrade from the Breville.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > K30 Vario -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.257704973221)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+