Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Listen to this!
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Listen to this!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Taskete

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 2:40pm
Subject: Re: Listen to this! [Video]

CoffeeRon Said:

I can't speak for your grinder for sure but I know many ( maybe all) grinder burrs have an area that they will rub first before they will hurt the teeth. I believe the area that I'm seeing in the pictures that you believe to be worn is in fact that area- which is to say it's supposed to look like that. If someone knows better please speak up. That would still leave the question- what is the problem?

I would go back to NobbyRs' list of possibilities, excluding worn out burrs as in the pictures yours appear to be sharp. What beans are you using? When were they roasted? Did it grind other beans properly? You said you had it tuned good but now need to go finer, so it was making proper espresso with other beans? A little more background information would help.

Posted June 10, 2013 link

Are you saying that the rubbing will disappear if I continue? I donít know if I dare to try. ;-)

I have used everything from light roasted to dark oily beans, all give the same result: if the burrs donít rub the grind will be to coarse and the 6 cl will fill up in 8-10 sec.

I use 20 g of beans, do I need to use more? How much does the amount of coffee matter?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 5:24pm

NO! do not go beyond that point- I'm just saying that touching that point shouldn't hurt your grinder. I may be wrong though- I only know that some grinders are not hurt by this, not sure about all. I don't see anything wrong in the pictures of your burrs- so I'm guessing that it isn't a problem with yours.
 The amount of coffee does matter but 20 g is probably the max you're going to get in a double basket. You still haven't answered the questions- Did you at some point get an acceptable pull from this grinder? Are the beans fresh roasted? And by the way, what machine are you using? It's kind of hard to believe you're getting 20 g in a double basket if the beans are ground to coarse.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 5:34pm

One more thing just occurred to me- kind of a no-brainer I should have thought of it before. If you're getting a lot of channeling you will get a fast shot even if the beans are ground fine enough- in fact too fine a grind may contribute to the channeling if you haven't properly prepared the puck. have you tried the WDT? Have you tried different tamping techniques? sometimes no technique is best- meaning don't do a bunch of turning or tapping the side of the PF- just a firm press straight down with a slight twist at the bottom. This is why a bottomless portafilter is so helpful when you're learning, you know right away if you're getting channeling.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 12:37am

Taskete Said:

I have used everything from light roasted to dark oily beans, all give the same result: if the burrs donít rub the grind will be to coarse and the 6 cl will fill up in 8-10 sec.

I use 20 g of beans, do I need to use more? How much does the amount of coffee matter?

Posted June 11, 2013 link

Dose and grind do of course both influence extraction time. But it's not about the roast, it's about how fresh your beans are. Are you familiar with Babbie's Rule of Fifteens?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Dapenu

Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 10:44pm

If I am not wrong, this grinder (Casadio MD Istantaneo) is very expensive, somthing like +$1000.
If so, it should not make any sound or noise at all.

I have a $190 Breville BCG800XL Smart Grinder only for home use (click the name to see an image of it) that produced a noise sound when grinding for like 5min, I found the problem was because of the coffee beans were stale.

Also, make sure burrs are not corrupted and placed correctly, this is a manufacture fault that you should get a replace for.
I cant comments on your grinder photos since I have no experience on this grinder.

Hope someone can help you in this area.
GL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Cafedenda

Espresso: Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Wega Conical, Mazzer SJ
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 12:28am

Your burrs look good.  If you do a search on home-barista for a thread with this title:  "Comparisons between Compak K10 68mm & Mazzer Robur 71mm burrs", you will see the same flat areas on those conical burrs.

One question you didn't answer is the age of the beans you are using.  For now, you should use beans within 10 days of roasting.  The old beans such as at the market bins or from a can are mostly not usable for espresso as we know it on this site.  Could you also upload a photo or 2 of the ground after a shot, assuming you can get a shot in the 18-30 seconds range?  Leave the ground in the basket, of course.  If you burrs are noticeably misaligned, you will see a good number of large chunks on top of the puck.
Taskete

Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 3:04pm

Thank you for the help! I am very grateful for all the answers.

I've broken Babbie's Rule of Fifteens by overdue the 15 days rule between the roast and grounding. My beans are roasted five weeks ago. I'll try to buy fresh roasted beans return with an answer.

But it seems strange that the machine would be so sensitive to that variable? Is Babbie's Rule of Fifteens created for best flavor or  to get to the proper extraction technique?

/Marcus
Taskete

Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 3:28pm

Cafedenda Said:

Your burrs look good.  If you do a search on home-barista for a thread with this title:  "Comparisons between Compak K10 68mm & Mazzer Robur 71mm burrs", you will see the same flat areas on those conical burrs.

Posted June 13, 2013 link

That's a relief! That must mean that the burrs are rubbing  in the "worn out" surface and that's not bad?
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 3:52pm

Taskete Said:

Thank you for the help! I am very grateful for all the answers.

I've broken Babbie's Rule of Fifteens by overdue the 15 days rule between the roast and grounding. My beans are roasted five weeks ago. I'll try to buy fresh roasted beans return with an answer.

But it seems strange that the machine would be so sensitive to that variable? Is Babbie's Rule of Fifteens created for best flavor or  to get to the proper extraction technique?

/Marcus

Posted June 16, 2013 link

Has to do with how dry the beans become with age- affects both flavor and extraction.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Listen to this!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301424026489)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+