Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Preciso grinds too slowly
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Preciso grinds...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
wardw

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville dual boiler
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 9:31am
Subject: Preciso grinds too slowly

I've used my Baratza Preciso happily for several months, with no problems getting a fine enough grind. But lately, only about a teaspoonful of grinds were produced after grinding for about one minute. I emptied the bean hopper, dumped out the grounds, and cleaned the burr area. Then it worked fine for about five grinding sessions, and it happened again.

When I inspected the grind remains in the hopper I found little pieces of thin, hard shells that didn't look like pieces of bean, although they were the same color. If they were impurities, I don't know why they weren't ground up with the beans.

If I adjust for a coarser grind (like for drip coffee), the problem doesn't seem to occur.

Anyway, could the shells be clogging the grinder and slowing the grinding process? The grinder makes almost the same sound when it's normal and when it's "clogged." It's annoying to have to clean out the burrs so often. Should I change to other coffee beans (the ones I'm using are just grocery store beans)?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 4:53pm
Subject: Re: Preciso grinds too slowly

Welcome to CG.  

It sounds like the grinder is plugged, or partially so.  The chute can partially clog and still grind.  You might note a bit of variability in the output as more retention occurs.  It you dump it over and remove the debris, I believe that it is parts of beans.

http://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploads/How-To-Unclog.pdf

I have similar and am not quite sure why it seems to recur often.  I add a dose at a time so fresh beans in for each dose and none left.  I do use thawed prior frozen beans, but it seems to occur with fresh unfrozen also.  I have looked in the chute and seen partial clog, never let it go to resemble the pdf.  I used compressed air to clean.

I would be happy to hear others weigh in on whether Preciso is prone to this, and how often to clean to avoid it.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Flori

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 10:01pm

I also have the same the problem with my grinder. Any other helpful tips to fix this?

Flori
Blogger, Coffeeloversofworld.com
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jun 1, 2013, 11:15pm

As a point of information, this grinder wasn't meant for 1 minute of continuous grinding.
If you don't get 16 grams in 10 seconds or less (espresso grind) something is going on.
I have a suspicion that some of these problems come from trying to adjust the grinder finer without running the grinder (with beans in the hopper.) This should NEVER be done. The result is often beans stuck between the burrs, causing a clogging, and possibly worse.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 9:32am

wardw Said:

I've used my Baratza Preciso happily for several months, with no problems getting a fine enough grind. But lately, only about a teaspoonful of grinds were produced after grinding for about one minute. I emptied the bean hopper, dumped out the grounds, and cleaned the burr area. Then it worked fine for about five grinding sessions, and it happened again.

When I inspected the grind remains in the hopper I found little pieces of thin, hard shells that didn't look like pieces of bean, although they were the same color. If they were impurities, I don't know why they weren't ground up with the beans.

If I adjust for a coarser grind (like for drip coffee), the problem doesn't seem to occur.

Anyway, could the shells be clogging the grinder and slowing the grinding process? The grinder makes almost the same sound when it's normal and when it's "clogged." It's annoying to have to clean out the burrs so often. Should I change to other coffee beans (the ones I'm using are just grocery store beans)?

Posted May 16, 2013 link

I have never used a Preciso, but as a general rule when grinding capacity deteriorates that badly you need to change burrs : burrs design and sharpness (and motor speed) are the sole factors that determine grinding capacity for adjusted coarseness: ergo speed and design beeing still identical sharpness is gone.
Ciao, Pietro
D4F

Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 12:55pm

Could be similar but on the Vario.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/630113

If it is similar but on a different grinder, then perhaps something in technique, humidity, beans ...

I have had some difficulty with Preciso noted above.  Not a burr problem as relatively new and no  stones through or damage, and always adjusted with grinder running.  Just more frequent cleaning and more irregular retention.

D4F also at
wardw

Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 2:41pm

The grinder's only a few months old, so I don't think it's the burr. In any case, I cleaned out the chute as well as the burr area, and I haven't had the problem since. I'm assuming that with the fine grind I usually do, oils could cause some caking, which may back up into the burr area over time. When that happens, the beans aren't free to drop between the grinder and the burr, so very few get ground; this would result in a very slow output of ground beans. And yes, oiliness of beans could contribute. In any case, all is well now; it looks as if if I buy especially oily beans I'll just have to clean out the burr and chute area more often than usual. I'm contented with that.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 3:28pm

What beans are you using? Really burnt/oily beans can even cause a film/gummy build up on commercial grade grinders, let a lone a home grinder. Preciso is one of the fastest grinders around. You should clean monthly especially with darker roast. Lighter/medium aren't really a problem, I've been using a medium roast and opened the Preciso up and hardly any build up vs darker roast (goes for any grinder though).
D4F

Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 4:31pm

I have been having some difficulty with Redbird Espresso and Stumptown Hairbender, both frozen then thawed, and then fresh, so not burned or oily.  It seems better now, but was giving me increased fines and variable retention, and variable dose out.  I never really found a cause. I would find bean fragments in the burrs after grinding, until grinding stopped and seemed empty.  I could open the setting wide and get the fragments through.  I went from about monthly cleaning to weekly, or few days.  Again, now seems better.

D4F also at
wardw

Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 7:53am

CMIN: I usually use beans designated as "dark roast" or "espresso," from a grocery store, just because I like the stronger flavor. So I'll either have to just clean out the grinder more often, or try alternating with a light roast; maybe that'll do some cleaning out in the process.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Preciso grinds...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242910146713)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+