Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Ceado E92
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Ceado E92  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
CJC

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 2:56pm
Subject: Re: Ceado E92

As sweeping a general statements go by "..grinder in this class." I had meant high volume commercial and the priorities that go with that. Either is wildly excessive for home use (all credit to you if you can afford it)

boar_d_laze Said:

I suppose it's too late to ask what "outperforms it in every way" means specifically.  It's such a sweeping and general statement, it's hard to comprehend what it means practically.    
Is it noisier than the Robur?  How could it be?
Is it more of a PITA to adjust than the Robur (or any other Mazzer for that matter)?  Again, how could it be?  
More grind retention than a Robur E?  Robur E is over 20g, right?
One of the Robur's greatest strengths as a high-volume commercial grinder -- speed -- is something of a weakness in a residential or low-volume setting because running the grinder to tighten the grind uses soooooooo damn much coffee. The Ceado's path sure looks shorter and simpler.  
Combining retention with waste from dialing in, for home use the Robur E would probably mean something like 25% to 33% waste.  That's a lot even for someone who roasts more coffee than he knows what do with (no anatomical suggestions, please).  And,
WLL is currently flogging the E92 for a few bucks less than $2K, $600 less than a Robur E and about the same price as a K10 Fresh.  "Cost efficiency" analysis doesn't really work for my situation, but I don't want to throw away money either.  Does the price reduction make the E92 more competitive?  

I'm not sure when I'm going to dump my La Cimbali Junior Max Hybrid in favor of something that's less of a PITA to maintain, does better distribution into the pf, and which grinds as well or better, but am resigned to the fact that "as well or better" means spending a lot of dough, and that "eventually" comes sooner rather than later.  

Something with accurate, on demand dosing would be nice -- if one exists such that getting rid of stale grounds every time it sat idle for more than a few minutes didn't add up to as big a PITA as the Cimbali's maintenance regimen.  With its apparently short path the Ceado looks like it might fill the bill.  

Thoughts?

BDL

Posted December 30, 2013 link

So in your kitchen the E92:
is quieter,
retains less grinds,
the grind setting is marginally easier to adjust the timer settings are far worse (really ridiculous)

but then the robur E is totally unsuited to home use, even low volume commercial use.

But in a high volume commercial setting the robur E:

is faster

has far simpler and easier to use electronic controls.

performs more predictably in changing conditions (temp, humididy etc)

doesn't have a safety cut off that disables the grinder and leaves you wiggling the rubber sleeve mounted hopper about for 5 minutes every time you refill the beans ..or touch it.

hasn't over heated and become unusable.

doesn't have the power switch on the back

robur E isn't that noisy ..you ever used an amfin?

The E92 is not a bad grinder by any means, we use it for guest roasts and it is generally nice enough to use. I was 50:50 on it vs the robur for a month which is praise in itself.
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:43pm

CJC Said:

All credit to you if you can afford it

Posted January 29, 2014 link

More luck than deserts; more cash than credit.

So in your kitchen the E92 is quieter

Yes, but not by much.  I overstated.  The Robur's really pretty quiet.

Also -- just to clarify -- my experience with Roburs has not been in kitchen or residential settings.

retains less grinds

True, but ditto.  Robur grind retention is widely overstated; and I wrote the "conventional wisdom," without checking for myself.  I checked, I was wrong, I apologize.  10g for the Ceado, 15g for the Mazzer.  As someone who roasts and usually has more beans than he knows what to do with, a clear-out isn't a deal breaker.  

the grind setting is marginally easier to adjust the timer settings are far worse (really ridiculous

Disagree!  The Ceado's grind settings are much easier to adjust; the Ceado's timer protocols are very similar to the Robur's, and are equally easy to adjust.  It's fair to say that each is "simple, adequate, last-generation, and mildly annoying."  Baratza Fortes and Breville Smarts have really good timer protocols.  But... well... y'know...

The Robur is faster

Not by much.  We're talking 3.8sec for the last Robur I used to grind 19g, and 5.0sec for our not-quite-broken-in E92 to do the same; and I suspect it will lose another couple of ticks.

has far simpler and easier to use electronic controls.

Disagree again.  Similar item by item BS menus.

performs more predictably in changing conditions (temp, humididy etc)

Can't say.  We live in Southern California where the weather varies from mild Spring to Summer and back again.  Morning temperatures in our (cough) heated/air-conditioned coffee room range from low sixties to mid seventies.  On the other hand, we have earthquakes, droughts, and no IrnBru.

doesn't have a safety cut off that disables the grinder and leaves you wiggling the rubber sleeve mounted hopper about for 5 minutes every time you refill the beans ..or touch it.

Haven't had the problem with the E92.  Sounds like something happened to the hopper detection circuit on yours.  You might consider fixing it or shorting it out.  

hasn't over heated and become unusable.

Haven't had the problem with our E92, but as you say, I'm not using it in a high volume commercial situation.  A dozen shots is a big day for me.

doesn't have the power switch on the back

Not an issue for me, and I don't believe it would be a problem in all but the most unusual situation.  Ours is switched by the same timer as our espresso machine.  In most situations, the Ceado's power switch wouldn't be used to control dosing anyway, but only turned on and off once a day.  

robur E isn't that noisy ..you ever used an amfin?

You're right, and yes.  The Cimbali is noisier than the Robur, too -- without being as noisy as an Anfim, Quamar, or... When it gets down to it, the Mazzer's fairly quiet and the Ceado's very quiet.    

The E92 is not a bad grinder by any means, we use it for guest roasts and it is generally nice enough to use. I was 50:50 on it vs the robur for a month which is praise in itself.

I've only been using it for ten days.

Our Ceado's grind performance is significantly better than the grinder it replaced, a Cimbali Jr. Max-Hybrid -- which was no slouch.  Any fears I had the Ceado would only be "just as good" were quickly dispelled.  

My initial impressions are that the E92 is (1) Better than a Compak K-10 by nearly as much as its better than the Cimbali; and (2) As good as the Robur.  FWIW though, the Compak grinds with fewer clumps and dispenses more neatly (Fresh or PB) than the other three.

The Ceado, after a little negotiation, was about $800 less than a Robur E, $300 less than a Compak K-10 Fresh, and only a couple of bills more than the K-10PB.  Price wasn't dispositive -- but it didn't hurt either.

Most of our coffee stuff, including the espresso machine, E92, etc., etc., yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah are on a sideboard without any cabinets or shelves above them, in a (more or less) dedicated coffee room/cookbook respository (that's "REpository," quit grinning dammit!).  Things like height, size and access are not the problems they might be if the equipment was installed in a typical kitchen.  Perhaps we're unusual as well as lucky, but we haven't experienced problems using commercial grinders in our home -- just better grinds.    

No regrets.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bamaster

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rocket R58 v2
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM
Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 7:28pm

Man, oh man, oh man.  I've been really looking at the K10 Fresh.  Now I'm reading this and the Ceado E92 is looking like an even better deal.  

My Mahlkonig Pro-M is nice but I've been dying to give conical a try.  I might have to call WLL and hear their opinions on the matter.

Tony | Houston, TX
Newbie. Don't you judge me!
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue Feb 4, 2014, 10:41pm

bamaster Said:

Man, oh man, oh man.  I've been really looking at the K10 Fresh.  Now I'm reading this and the Ceado E92 is looking like an even better deal.  My Mahlkonig Pro-M is nice but I've been dying to give conical a try.  I might have to call WLL and hear their opinions on the matter.

Posted February 4, 2014 link

Why not?  The person you want to talk to at WLL is Mark Jackson.  His extension is 5196.  

It's a shame there aren't retailers which carry top Compaks, Mazzers and Ceados so you could get an unbiased opinion with the sort of honest, collective experience which only service departments collect.

I'm not sure what to say regarding the E92 compared to the Pro-M.  I've had enough, recent time with the K-30 and Robur E to compare them to one another and to the E92.  From a purely in the cup perspective, the E92 and Robur E are damn near identical, and -- in my opinion -- preferable to the K30 for mouthfeel, nuance, separation, and top-end "sparkle;" while low end notes were too similar for meaningful distinctions.

In a low volume situation, the K30 and E92 are very easy to use, while the Robur is something of a pain to adjust because it's (a) stiff, (b) so awkward and so fast that you waste a LOT of beans doing adjustments.  

I've also had some time on the K-10 Fresh and PB -- not as much, nor under the same critical conditions as the Robur and Mahlkonig, so... FWIW:  Both are a pleasure to operate; neat, easy and quick to adjust, and they both dose beautifully.  I think both are slightly better ergonomically than either the Robur or Ceado.  The PB has a great doser and isn't hampered (much) by the lack of electronic controls; while I really like the Fresh's adjustment display.  The Ceado has better "touch," than the Compaks or Robur, with very silky adjustment control.  The Ceado is by far the easiest to deep clean in that the top burr can be removed without disturbing the grind settings.  

The K-10 lacks a little mouthfeel compared to the E92 and Robur, but otherwise all are very similar in the cup.

Through most ranges, Ceado is the luxe brand compared Compak, Macap and Mazzer; but that breaks down at the flagship level where everyone's making their "price is no object," best pitch.  Build quality for all of the machines in issue is overbuilt quality.  Everything works, everything fits, everything's big, everything's heavy, everything's bullet-proof.  

Say "Hi" to Mark, and tell him Rich sent you.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Ceado E92  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.25296497345)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+