Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Ceado E92
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Ceado E92  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
scareyourpassenger
scareyourpassenger
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Classe 7 Leva 1...
Grinder: Ceado E92, Pharos, Precisio
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: Technivorm CDT, Chemex Kone,...
Roaster: Sonofresco 1lb, Ambex YM-2,...
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 10:10am
Subject: Re: Ceado E92

For those looking for a review, this is the only one I found outside of an article.

Click Here (translate.google.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 11:00am

scareyourpassenger Said:

For those looking for a review, this is the only one I found outside of an
article.

Posted January 4, 2014 link

Interesting review.  A little inconclusive, but the reviewer seems to peg it as in the same class as the Robur and Nino; but perhaps a little better.  CJC's Boss's comment about E92 vs Robur was too non-specific to be of any use.  

When it comes to grinding performance, one air-cooled, over-powered, 71mm conical is probably pretty much the same as another -- especially since neither Ceado nor Mazzer make their own burrs and these particular burr sets probably came from the same third-party's parts bin -- and it's not like you can carp about Robur or Ceado build quality, nor make much of a distinction between their nearly identical walk-up, single/double/manual schemes.  The distinctions, such as they are, probably come down to things like user-friendliness and grind retention.  

The lack of reviews and comments is one of the things which has me hesitating.  I'm wondering if I really want to go to a true conical, what with monster flats a la the EK-43 and NS Mythos Barista being the hot fashion for SO espresso.   And even with all of WLL's discounts -- which make the E92 considerably less expensive than the similarly specced Robur, and even a little more reasonable than the K10 Fresh -- it's still a LOT of money to replace a grinder with borderline excellent grinding, even if it requires two slap-shots and two tamps to dose, and is a PITA to maintain.  

Otherwise, I like everything I hear from WLL, and everything I see about the E92.  The silky operation of the enclosed screw movement in WLL's video about the E37s alone, has me 90% convinced.  To the extent that burrs alone make a difference, I'm willing to bet that Ceado and Mazzer get their 71mm conicals from the same source; and everything else about the E92 (at least) looks better than the Robur.  If it needs mentioning, Ceado's grind adjustment system looks HUGELY better than Mazzer's pin and collar.    

Mark Jackson at WLL, figured E92 grind retention at something like 5g, which is considerably less than any of the competitive doserless "walk-ups," and even a little less than the K10 PB.    

Robur shmobur.  Nino Shmino.  They're too expensive.  My real OTHER choices are the two K-10s, and the Macap MD7; all of which are "excellent."  While everything I see about the E92 says "ultimate."  

But... obviously a lot of speculation.  I'd like to know more, but am not sure that it's out there to be known yet.  My last flier as an early adopter of the Amazon 1000 roaster didn't work out well and I'm gun shy.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ECM
ECM
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 11:40am

I was seriously considering this grinder and almost pulled the trigger.  Yet I couldn't find anything on the grinder other than promotional stuff.  

I ended up going for the Robur E which I don't regret.  I love the this grinder and will have it for life.  

Rob
boar_d_laze

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 12:48pm

ECM Said:

I was seriously considering this grinder and almost pulled the trigger.  Yet I couldn't find anything on the grinder other than promotional stuff.  I ended up going for the Robur E which I don't regret.  I love this grinder and will have it for life.

Posted January 4, 2014 link

Don't think your words are falling on deaf ears.  They count a lot. Out of curiosity, why the Robur E instead of the Compak K-10 Fresh, Macap M7D, or one of the big-deal, walk-up, flat burr grinders?

On the other hand, the Robur E is considerably more expensive than the E92's currently discounted price.  And there are a few other hands as well (why are there always so many other hands?), including the Mazzer's pin and collar adjustment and amount of grind retention.  

"Have it for life," is a very important consideration.  The idea of living with the Cimbali's sundry foibles forever makes me think the upgrade to an ultimate grinder might as well be this week instead of waiting a year or two down the line. I was already on the brink, and you may have just pushed me over the edge.  

The question is:  Where to land?    

BDL
ECM
ECM

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 5:47pm

Well honestly I had a Mazzer mini for 10 years and I never had a problem with it.  In fact I gave it to a friend and it’s still running flawlessly.  My buddy only uses it for press now but the fact that it ran without any troubles for so long convinced me that if I were to consider a large conical it would have to be a Mazzer.  

As crazy as this sounds I actually bought the Robur E twice!

Originally I upgraded from a ECM Giotto Premium and Mazzer mini back in January of last year which I had for ten years.  I upgraded to a GS3 and Robur E.  Shortly thereafter life events necessitated that I sell the GS3 and Robur to afford a move across country.  Once I moved I thought: “I can live without espresso?  It turns out I couldn’t.  Fast forward to November and I found myself trolling CCS for another set up.  I loved the Robur E so much I knew that any set up I purchased had to include a Robur E.  I just couldn’t imagine using any other grinder because it was so joyfully consistent!   It goes without saying that another GS3 purchase was out of the question . . . it was just too much money.  I ended up buying a Vetrano 2B and another Robur E.  Naturally the Vetrano is not quite as forgiving as the GS3 was but It just requires the user to pay attention to the prep side of things more closely.  

Simply put:  The Robur offers me the most consistently beautiful grind.  Yes there is some retention as people have stated and proven.  Does it bother me?  Yes marginally but not enough to give up its noticeable grind quality.  The first shot of the day is never the best due to grind retention but that doesn’t bother me in the least.  What does matter in my opinion is its bullet proof construction, fluffy grind and life long expectancy.  I almost never have to mess about with fooling with the grind setting. . . it just does what it was intended to do….. mill coffee in the most non-destructive manner possible.  

In the end your decision in what to buy is your own to make.  I personally know that I made the wright choice for me; all be it twice!  

Good luck to you,

Rob
ECM
ECM

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 5:58pm

Well honestly I had a Mazzer mini for 10 years and I never had a problem with it.  In fact I gave it to a friend and it’s still running flawlessly.  My buddy only uses it for press now but the fact that it ran without any troubles for so long convinced me that if I were to consider a large conical it would have to be a Mazzer.  

As crazy as this sounds I actually bought the Robur E twice!

Originally I upgraded from a ECM Giotto Premium and Mazzer mini back in January of last year which I had for ten years.  I upgraded to a GS3 and Robur E.  Shortly thereafter life events necessitated that I sell the GS3 and Robur to afford a move across country.  Once I moved I thought: “I can live without espresso?  It turns out I couldn’t.  Fast forward to November and I found myself trolling CCS for another set up.  I loved the Robur E so much I knew that any set up I purchased had to include a Robur E.  I just couldn’t imagine using any other grinder because it was so joyfully consistent!   It goes without saying that another GS3 purchase was out of the question . . . it was just too much money.  I ended up buying a Vetrano 2B and another Robur E.  Naturally the Vetrano is not quite as forgiving as the GS3 was but It just requires the user to pay attention to the prep side of things more closely.  

Simply put:  The Robur offers me the most consistently beautiful grind.  Yes there is some retention as people have stated and proven.  Does it bother me?  Yes marginally but not enough to give up its noticeable grind quality.  The first shot of the day is never the best due to grind retention but that doesn’t bother me in the least.  What did matter is its bullet proof construction and fluffy grind.  I almost never have to mess about with fooling with the grind setting. . . it just does what it was intended to do….. mill coffee in the most non-destructive manner possible.  

In the end your decision in what to buy is your own to make.  I personally know that I made the wright choice for me; all be it twice!  

Good luck to you,

Rob
scareyourpassenger
scareyourpassenger

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 8:43pm

And another article..
Good info about how the static and clumping issues were tackled.
http://www.coffee-house.org.uk/CH2CoffeeHouse68Feb2013.pdf
boar_d_laze

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 1:02pm

Jeremy's (scareyourpassenger's) relentless hounding crumbled me like stale cornbread.  Just ordered my E92 today from Mark Jackson, head of sales at WLL.  

I'll post after initial break in.  Mark recommended two pounds, but that seems light to me and I'll run about 10 before trying real coffee.  

The p-stat on my espresso machine went out Friday, so there's no espresso until the replacement arrives from espressoparts -- probably within a day or two of the grinder. Sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference between silver linings and cosmic irony.

Know what I mean?  
BDL
scareyourpassenger
scareyourpassenger

Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014, 10:24am

I am in the same boat, I just sent off all my espresso handles and knobs out to Dave to get upgraded to hand turned wood.

I acquired some cheap green beans that I plan on roasting up to run through the grinder. This will also allow me to dial in my new PID setup for my Ambex roaster.
ECM
ECM

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 3:59pm

Man I'm really looking forward to your report on this grinder.  

Rob
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Ceado E92  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.32374215126)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+