Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso model 586 - Thoughts?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 12:38pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso model 586 - Thoughts?

From their (Tonx's) site: "While we thrive on word of mouth, we ask that you refrain from broadcasting the details of this deal as we hope to continue this arrangement as long as possible." Sorry! I do like the refurb idea as well.
 View Profile Link to this post
CRW

Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 12:37pm

I got a brand new Preciso, still in sealed box, from eBay. It wasn't on auction, it was $299 or best offer. Got it for $250 and shipping was free. Had it in 3 days. The micro adjust gives you 11 inbetween steps for each of the 40 Macro steps. I think there is still a similar offer.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 1:37pm

Giving you a heads up, if you can swing it, Baratza has a Vario refurb listed on their site for $360
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 1:02pm

Tonx deal on a vario is worth subscribing a couple months. All I'll say.

Where I got mine. Subscription was a gift so I really saved ha
lilprof87

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 3:04pm

brianl Said:

Tonx deal on a vario is worth subscribing a couple months. All I'll say.

Where I got mine. Subscription was a gift so I really saved ha

Posted May 27, 2013 link

Does the discount kick in after X amount of days or is it instant?
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 4:16pm

You get access right away.
MJJ

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 8:09pm

I'm one of those who would say that you would be alright with the Virtuoso compared to Preciso for espresso. They have the same burrs last time I checked...and that's the most important part. I've used both grinders and I could do espresso fine on my Virtuoso. If you aren't weighing your doses then the micro adjustments are not terribly useful because it will all be thrown out by a slight change in dose. If you are measuring then you can modify your dose to match your macro setting, not complicated. Don't get me wrong, the micro adjustment is handy but you can get yourself well set up for espresso with the Virtuoso, I managed well with it on a Rancilio Silvia (non-pressurized portafilter of course).
 That being said...on both the Virtuoso I had and the Preciso, I had to open up the machine, take it apart and install shims (metal washers provided by Baratza) under the burrs in order to get both of these grinders to get fine enough for espresso. That was really annoying and I hope Baratza has settled that issue now (some people have had this problem in the past and others not, seems factory calibration was variable).
  And now I have a Vario! I like it much better and if you can get one of these re-furbished I would be surprised if you would regret it. It will grind as fine as you need and the espresso tastes better, worth the extra money.
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Drip: chemex
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 8:59pm

I only said with a couple months because it'd be a douche move in my opinion to cancel right after ordering.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 9:11pm

MJJ Said:

I'm one of those who would say that you would be alright with the Virtuoso compared to Preciso for espresso. They have the same burrs last time I checked...and that's the most important part. I've used both grinders and I could do espresso fine on my Virtuoso. If you aren't weighing your doses then the micro adjustments are not terribly useful because it will all be thrown out by a slight change in dose. If you are measuring then you can modify your dose to match your macro setting, not complicated. Don't get me wrong, the micro adjustment is handy but you can get yourself well set up for espresso with the Virtuoso, I managed well with it on a Rancilio Silvia (non-pressurized portafilter of course).
 That being said...on both the Virtuoso I had and the Preciso, I had to open up the machine, take it apart and install shims (metal washers provided by Baratza) under the burrs in order to get both of these grinders to get fine enough for espresso. That was really annoying and I hope Baratza has settled that issue now (some people have had this problem in the past and others not, seems factory calibration was variable).
  And now I have a Vario! I like it much better and if you can get one of these re-furbished I would be surprised if you would regret it. It will grind as fine as you need and the espresso tastes better, worth the extra money.

Posted May 27, 2013 link

Don't think I've ever heard of a shimmed Preciso unless something was out of wack on an early production unit? Mines calibrated to fine and grinds for espresso on Macro 10, or about 8-10 depending on dose and bean type). But the Micro is priceless, i.e. the blend I'm using right now will pull too tight at 10 and too fast at 9 at 16 gram dose, adjust the Micro and it's perfect. Sure I could have played with measuring the dose a bunch of times, but then I would have wasted time and a lot of beans. Same for the Virtuoso, my buddy for example got the Vario after buying a Virtuoso b/c pulling consistent espresso shots was too hard with the steps, 1 day would be just ok, next day or two etc gushing faster and faster as the beans age. Micro just move it a little or few notches and your done as the beans age on the same Macro setting.
lilprof87

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Tue May 28, 2013, 5:07am

brianl Said:

I only said with a couple months because it'd be a douche move in my opinion to cancel right after ordering.

Posted May 27, 2013 link

Of course, I should have said my previous quote another way. If I do Tonx, I will keep the subscription for a little bit. I mean, why not, if they helped me out!

I just didn't know if there was a minimum subscription. Honestly, living without a grinder sucks and I didn't know if I had to wait X amount of months to finally see the discounts only to prolong being without a grinder.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283565998077)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+