Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso model 586 - Thoughts?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
lilprof87

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 7:19am
Subject: Baratza Virtuoso model 586 - Thoughts?

All,

In need of some information since I am looking for a new grinder.

If anyone could point me to recent information/reviews or tell me about the Baratza Virtuoso V2 model 586, I would be extremely greatful.

Yes, a simple Google search gave me a ton of information, but most of the information I found were old reviews and topics about the Baratza Virtuoso model 585 or older. Basically, I am stepping up from a Bodum Bistro Burr and now have the need for espresso grind, but also the ability to grind for press, pour over, etc.  From what I have researched, the Virtuoso is able to do all of that at a high caliber.  

Could anyone through in their 2 cents, experiences, etc.  Also, any reading material, videos (besides the SCG which I have seen), etc would also be helpful.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Handpresso, Bialetti
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 7:31am
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso model 586 - Thoughts?

I have had a Baratza Virtuoso (don't recall the model number) for about 2 years and it has performed flawlessly.  It was a refurbished model which I bought directly from Baratza at a cost of $150 (about half the cost of a new one).  It's easy to clean and I have had no problems.   It does a great job in particular in grinding for my My Pressi espresso machine.  I don't know how well it would grind for other espresso machines (e.g., Pavoni, etc., etc.), but it does the job for the My Pressi.  It also does a great job grinding for manual drip coffee.  I say go for it!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 8:09am

For espresso, it depends. If your machine is a PPF unit, then you can use it. If you have a normal, non pressurized portafilter, then it will be marginal at best. It is a great grinder for OTHER THAN ESPRESSO, but look a little further "up the food chain" for an espresso able grinder.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 8:24am

If you want an espresso grinder, gonna have to jump to the Preciso or Vario. If you need a grinder for all other needs or an espresso machine with a pressurized portafilter like mentioned above, then the Virtuoso 586 is more then enough. It can grind for espresso however it's stepped (Preciso has a micro adjustment that makes it basically stepless), so with the reg Virtuoso you may burn through beans trying to find a setting and maybe get one that works ok for a day or two, then the beans age and your setting is now a gusher, and the next click down is too tight, now your playing with dose trying to adjust to compensate and repeat the process over and over lol.
lilprof87

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 10:15am

calblacksmith Said:

For espresso, it depends. If your machine is a PPF unit, then you can use it. If you have a normal, non pressurized portafilter, then it will be marginal at best. It is a great grinder for OTHER THAN ESPRESSO, but look a little further "up the food chain" for an espresso able grinder.

Posted May 22, 2013 link

Thanks for the feedback! I will be using the grinder on a Non-pressurized portafilter.

What doesn't make sense to me is that the Virtuoso and the Preciso are the same grinder with exception to the micro adjustments and add-on (Portafilter holder, etc.). Why why would a grinder with the same amount of macro settings, burrs, and motor all the sudden create a better grinder? It should be the same grind at all the macro settings.  You lose the stepless control and fine tuning, but the grind would be consistent to both if the Preciso didn't have the micro function.

I'm not trying to argue, im just confused why every site, review, blog states that the Preciso is great for espresso and the Virtuoso is not. In my mind, the overall range is the same (From 1-40). So, at 1 they both grind the same for espresso without the use of the micro adjustment. Leaving the question, if they are the same grinder without the step-less, micro control than why would I need to use a PPF? Yes, it may not be perfect, but it still should be capable and with ease for the Virtuoso to grind fine enough for espresso. Maybe, since I haven't used these grinders and, in that situation, I am forced between too course or too fine for my morning espresso that I am being to hard on my choice, but I can't imagine that happening alot. Fact or crap?

I understand why the Hario is better and more functional for espresso (better burrs, guts, etc), but right now, that's far outside my price range.
CMIN

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 10:31am

Micro adjustment is priceless, lets you dial in the maco seting. On the virtuoso you could have for example setting 8 = gusher and 7 = choking, you could play around with dose but what about the next day and the day after that etc, as beans age they need to be ground finer. The micro adjustment takes care of all that on the Preciso.

Not sure what you mean by the Hario being out of your price range, its like $30, I have a Mini Slim I use for travel. Preciso is far better though.
lilprof87

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 10:40am

Oops, I meant the Vario, not Hario. Coffee on the mind! Thanks for your input. Looks like I will have to rethink the micro adjustment feature.

Any good place, right now, that is offering percentage off grinders, free shipping, etc???
CMIN

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 10:53am

Main places are all similarly priced, you could check Baratzas sites for refurbs though, they list new stuff every Thursday. If you can swing the Vario, do it, you'll get a grinder that outclasses many more expensive grinders as far as grind quality is concerned, its basically tied with a Super Jolley for grind quality
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 11:13am

If you subscribe to Tonx, they offer good (though private) deals on Baratza grinders. Just a heads up.
lilprof87

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 11:16am

I stopped subscribing to them... Can you tell me what the deals are?
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.268887042999)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+