Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Preciso grinds too slowly
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Preciso grinds...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 10:36am
Subject: Re: Preciso grinds too slowly

IMAWriter Said:

As a point of information, this grinder wasn't meant for 1 minute of continuous grinding.
If you don't get 16 grams in 10 seconds or less (espresso grind) something is going on.
I have a suspicion that some of these problems come from trying to adjust the grinder finer without running the grinder (with beans in the hopper.) This should NEVER be done. The result is often beans stuck between the burrs, causing a clogging, and possibly worse.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Posted June 1, 2013 link

+1

Since you are using oily beans you probably need to reduce the speed of your grinder so the burrs can properly grab the beans.

Click Here (www.baratza.com)

Less water, more grounds.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 11:31am

wardw Said:

CMIN: I usually use beans designated as "dark roast" or "espresso," from a grocery store, just because I like the stronger flavor. So I'll either have to just clean out the grinder more often, or try alternating with a light roast; maybe that'll do some cleaning out in the process.

Posted June 3, 2013 link

Thats pry your problem right there, 1) anything bought at a grocery store is generally charred/oily, and 2) stale... just gunk your grinders up. You have to get fresh roasted beans especially for espresso. That flavor your liking reminds me of folks who like Starbucks, they interpret that burnt log charcoal taste as "coffee" when all their tasting is the burnt roast. Can't pull shots with beans like that.

Get some fresh roasted beans and you'll see a night and day difference, a true roasters dark roast is completely different then "dark roast" carried in grocery stores etc. You get that deeper taste with way better flavor since the roast isn't burnt.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 8:40pm

Intrepid510 Said:

+1

Since you are using oily beans you probably need to reduce the speed of your grinder so the burrs can properly grab the beans.

Click Here (www.baratza.com)

Posted June 3, 2013 link

Interesting line when I click that link  "Does NOT APPLY to PRECISO."  Caps are in the quote, I am not shouting  :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
donner

Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 9:50pm

For espresso, I try to stay away from oily and very dark beans- those often are over-roasted.  Some of the nicest roasted beans we have tried have been medium brown in color and not oily at all.  We use a Vario-W grinder and have had no problems with it gumming up or grinding too slowly.
Calendar

Espresso: Gaggia Classic/PID
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 5:07am

I had no idea how fast/slow my Preciso is.  So I timed it this morning - 18 grams in 25 seconds.

I blend fresh roasted beans from a local roaster - I mix regular and decaf. The regular beans (70%) are a mahogany color - the decaf are darker with some occasional spots of oil.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Intrepid510

Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 12:57pm

D4F Said:

Interesting line when I click that link  "Does NOT APPLY to PRECISO."  Caps are in the quote, I am not shouting  :)

Posted June 3, 2013 link

It is interesting because it's under trouble shooting for the Preciso and since he is having trouble grinding a dark roast it makes a lot sense to try.

http://www.baratza.com/troubleshooting/

Less water, more grounds.
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 1:26pm

Flori Said:

I also have the same the problem with my grinder. Any other helpful tips to fix this?

Flori
Blogger, Coffeeloversofworld.com

Posted May 18, 2013 link

if you grind a couple handfull of rice you are sure that burrs are clean and that should solve  the problem, if still does not grind then it is time to change burrs.
in fact the rice trick should be in all grinders instruction booklets.
<<<<<<<<<<<ciao, Pietro
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Preciso grinds...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285706043243)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+