Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Burr Jammed/Stuck - Cannot Remove
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
GlennM

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 11:05am
Subject: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Burr Jammed/Stuck - Cannot Remove

Hi Everyone,

I'm having trouble with a stuck/jammed burr on my grinder.  I'm certain I created the problem while cleaning and re-assembling things.  

I was trying to get in touch with CraigA (as he is a service tech for Baratza) however I'm having trouble with his e-mail.

Below is the e-mail I sent to him.  If anyone is familiar with the problem or knows how to get in touch with Craig and/or another Canadian service tech, it's very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn

Hi Craig,

I hope you don't mind me contacting you via this e-mail address.  

To make a long story shorter, I came across your name in CoffeeGeek while searching for some answers regarding my Baratza problem.  While searching I came across one of your post's where you mention that you were/are the Canadian service rep for Baratza.  I'm really hoping you can help me out.

I've managed to jam the upper burr in my grinder.  I'm pretty sure I did it while cleaning it last and removing/replacing this burr.  What I did is the following:
Took the hopper off, removed the rubber ring and removed the upper burr.  
Cleaned everything,  
Put everything back in place, however I'm thinking I may have not lined up this burr with the correct positioning in the housing.

Come the next morning when I went to run the machine, the machine did grind but the grind was extremely coarse (almost like little pellets).  I took the hopper off and tried to remove the upper burr but it was jammed in position and I cannot seem to be able to remove it.  I'm thinking there is a trick to removing the burr (which has been installed incorrectly), however I cannot seem to figure it out.  I'm really hoping you've come across a similar situation in your experience servicing the grinders.

If you don't mind, I'd really appreciate any assistance you can offer.

I live in Oakville and can be reached by phone if it's easier to describe the solution by phone.  If e-mail works, that's fine too!  

Hoping you can help and looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Glenn
 View Profile Link to this post
MJJ

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 7:19pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Burr Jammed/Stuck - Cannot Remove

Hi,
  I think everyone else will suggest this... try giving Baratza a call directly, just look up their website and find the phone number. They'll get back to you within a day typically. Their customer service is great and may be able to sort out your problem over the phone. Maybe they will need to send an upper burr holder your way or something like that.
Matt
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 12:05pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Burr Jammed/Stuck - Cannot Remove

I've managed to jam the top burr in by trying to insert 180 degrees out of position.  I had to force it some to get it back out, and almost broke the burr carrier when I did so.  To check, compare the position of the red tab on the burr holder with pictures in the service guides on the Baratza website.  I think if you remove the case and dismantle the adjustment mechanism from the grinder, you can get some more movement to make removing the burr carrier easier.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.186860084534)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+