Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Before I open this Preciso
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Before I open...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 5:10am
Subject: Before I open this Preciso

For the price, the Preciso seemed to be the most cost-effect rout into espresso-land on my budget.  I know I could go the rout of modifying a less expensive stepped grinder to steppless with nice burrs but I just don't have the time at this point.  I know the Preciso has had problems, and that Baratza continuously fixes them.  Perhaps its the Law of Unintended Consequences, but something else seems to historically go wrong a little bit later.  That being said, I'm confident Baratza will stand behind the product.  

Here is the actual question:

Do you have any advice on things to make sure I do, and/or things to make sure I don't do, from the moment that grinder shows up at my doorstep today?

Thanks a lot!!
 View Profile Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 8:59am
Subject: Re: Before I open this Preciso

Do not adjust the grind with beans in the hopper without running the motor.  It has been possible to misalign or damage the grinding burr adjustment assemblies.  Enjoy making good coffee :)
(Consider an Esatto at some point if you don't have a precision digital scale - it's a C note - but it works very nicely on my Preciso.)
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 10:48am

Thanks so much for the advice, I'll definitely make sure I stick to that rule.  The first thing out of the box I probably would have done was move the grind adjustment around...probably not a good habit to get into by the sound of it.  I'm using a digital scale but it's only accurate down to the gram, it would be nice to get something that can go down to 0.5.  I was planning on keeping the hopper empty day to day and measuring beans just before grinding them directly into the portafilter.  That a good idea?  It didn't look like the Estatto functioned without the grind-bin but now that I think about it, the porta-holder has a flat bottom too so maybe it does work, is that true?  Also, since you use the grinder, where do you think I should start around for espresso grind?  I know each machine is going to be slightly different but I gotta start somewhere :-)  

Come on UPS...hurry up with that package!!
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 2:30pm

I too clean up daily, but others have noted the grinder tends to make better consistency bean fragments with some bean mass in the hopper preventing 'popcorn-ing'.
The Esatto allows setting your dose to 1/10 of a gram; it also allows you to set three different preferred doses so you can use it for singles, doubles, and say weighed for your french press, other pour over, or vacuum pot.
I've been running mine somewhere above 8 and less than 10 on the coarse adjust with fine adjustment of the setting due to differences in my home roasts and how the beans react to a day's humidity. As you note, calibration can be widely different grinder to grinder. Your first shots will help guide you in; and there is loads of helpful input here in the forum posts to assist if you are not sure what is happening at the bottom of the porta-filter.
Congrats and I hope you have the shipment by now. A new toy is always a good thing!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 2:39pm

Whitcoatsyndrom Said:

Thanks so much for the advice, I'll definitely make sure I stick to that rule.  The first thing out of the box I probably would have done was move the grind adjustment around...probably not a good habit to get into by the sound of it.  I'm using a digital scale but it's only accurate down to the gram, it would be nice to get something that can go down to 0.5.  I was planning on keeping the hopper empty day to day and measuring beans just before grinding them directly into the portafilter.  That a good idea?  It didn't look like the Estatto functioned without the grind-bin but now that I think about it, the porta-holder has a flat bottom too so maybe it does work, is that true?  Also, since you use the grinder, where do you think I should start around for espresso grind?  I know each machine is going to be slightly different but I gotta start somewhere :-)  

Come on UPS...hurry up with that package!!

Posted May 6, 2013 link

I single dose and the Preciso is one of the best for that b/c of it's small retention and short grind path, quick tip and purge/knock get's the gram or two retained out. I have a small digi scale that measures to .1g, was like 10 bucks on Amazon Prime. You could start at 7 and go from there, or 4 etc, if you start low and shots are choking you'll know you need to go coarser and vice versa. Depends on how it's calibrated too, if it's set to fine inside you could be around 9-10, mine was set to neutral and was around 7.
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Drip: chemex
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 7:56am

just to echo the first person. Even if the hopper is empty, don't adjust the settings unless the machine is on.
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 12:11pm

Thanks a lot, driving that point home will ensure that I remember to do that.  

The grinder is fantastic upon preliminary use.  I explored the settings from around the finest to coarser settings.  The finest settings seemed to have very low output (which I expected) and quite a bit more clumping.  As that setting is beyond use for espresso (but perhaps not quite Turkish), I won't be using it day to day and is not a concern.  

I didn't have a ton of time to play with it last night or this morning but I'm I've been moving between a maco 7 and 8, with some various micro settings.  My shots this morning were at 8F, beans roasted within 7 days ago, and a shot time of 26s.  I later realized that I am so not-used to seeing that much crema that I ended up with under-filling my glass (there is a rubber grip around the width of it), so shot time might have been more towards 27s or so.  This might be a little bit too long so I'm worried about over-extraction.  As an experiment I pulled at a macro of 10 and jumped down to 12+ seconds.  I also noticed that the left spout had more flow than the right, I'm guessing this is some channeling going on.  I'm new to all of this so advice is really helpful.  My tamping needs work, I've read a few different methods of going about it, whether to knock or not knock (the "staub" method).  One of my main concerns is that the screen on my brewgroup is definitely making contact with the grinds when I measure 18g.  At 19g the portafilter doesn't want to fit, and at 17 I'm getting an indentation from the center brewgroup screen screw (a good thing from what I understand), but along with an indentation from the outer circle of the brewgroup that fits into the inner perimeter of the portafilter basket.  I measured beans out before, ground, and then checked how much I was getting out...it varied but was usually within a gram.  I ground as necessary to get up to my desired dose.  

So I think I need improvements with tamping and dosing (Such easy questions, right?, ha).  As a side-note, I'm using a Gaggia Classic that I just received in the mail, there have been no pressure adjustments (so I think it might be brewing at 11 bar?)

I'm going to go ahead and clean these questions up and post them to the general questions section as these are general issues.  I'de like leave them here as well to hopefully get some input from people that are using equipment similar to my own (preciso and quality but entry-level home espresso machine).

Thank you all very much and happy brewing!
brianl

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 1:05pm

I have a gaggia classic and they are set up more like 13 BARS because it's designed to use PODS as well. I would change the opv valve ASAP if you don't use pods.

I use a Gaggia Classic (silvia steam arm, 9 opv pressure and a PID controller) and an Vario. Similar to yours but not exact. I can see room for improving with the machine but then i go to a local third wave shop and my shots are just as good. Can't complain i guess. PID adds a little more time before you get upgraditis. ha

I don't think channeling will really affect which spout gets more as its all tappered to the middle. I'd first check to make sure your table or surface is level.
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 1:27pm

Thanks for the suggestions.  I checked out how level my counter is and its a little off.  I ended up making slices of a wine-cork, which fit very well under the machine's feet and absorb vibrations well.  I then realized that my level is super crappy and not very accurate or precise, I'll remedy that and do the level again.

Can you direct me to where there are good instructions for pressure adjustment, I didn't see them in the product manual (maybe i'm looking in the incorrect place).  

I'm a grad-student so the budget line has been drawn (and already slightly crossed, surprise surprise).  It'll definitely be a while before the PID happens but it's definitely something that will eventually occur...until then, I'm taking your free advice so I can get my newbie shots up to snuff.
brianl

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 3:40pm

okay.

Click Here (www.roaste.com)

that's the best one that I've seen.

I just built the PID without the kits and it's probably around 90 bucks using Auber parts. Less if you have a good tool chest. In the mean time, there is a good remedy that involves attaching a thermocouple to the front of the boiler (by slightly modifying a 10 dollar thermometer. the mod forum has a ton of posts.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Before I open...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255920886993)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+