Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Thinking of a buying a new grinder..
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Thinking of a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DuncanIdaho

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 8:01am
Subject: Re: Thinking of a buying a new grinder..

emradguy Said:

I think you've gotten sood advice so far, but you haven't laid out any parameters on what you're looking for other than implying something stepless or nearly stepless, and perhaps less messy.

What's your budget?
Will you consider used?
Do you have height/space restrictions?
Would you consider manual?
Do you plan to single dose, or do you want to utilize a hopper?
Do you want to stay with a doser, or are you considering doserless?
Are you interested in flat or conical burrs?

If you can answer these questions it would be a lot easier to pick out a group of grinders to consider from the vast ocean of those better than the Rocky in all respects.

Posted May 8, 2013 link

Maybe
No
Yes
Hopper
Don t care to much for a doser much don't understand it for home use
 View Profile Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 8:27am

IMO - I feel like i should start every post this way :)

Mazzer with a screen is waste which in turn means the any of the E models are a waste because I am going to sweep the chute every time. I am going to quick sweep the either the funnel or doser every time. IF you really think you can't get past sweeping and a doser then:

1.) Baratza Vario
2.) Drop the other shoe and by the K-30 Vario or a K8/K10 Fresh
3.) Hold out for the Baratza Forte in a couple of months

I really don't want to die on the doser/doserless hill but I use to think I could never live with a doser, I was wrong.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
OttoMatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 8:45am

jwoodyu Said:

2.) Drop the other shoe and by the K-30 Vario.

Posted May 8, 2013 link

That's what I did, and couldn't be happier.
DuncanIdaho

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 10:27am

K 30 would be nice but puts me 1600 over budget..
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 10:30am

I use a Baratza Vario-W and absolutely love it. First, I'm spoiled by the weighed dosing. Everything remains very consistent because of this feature. I also use it for espresso through french press and have been very happy with it's ability to grind for multiple methods. It's superb for my needs. With that said, and with your budget, I would wait a couple of months for the Forte (I really want one!) or stretch the budget for a K-30 Vario. But I can say you won't be sorry with the Vario-W. It is lightyears better than the Rocky. Also, if you're sticking with the Silvia, it seems to me that $1,000+ for a grinder would be overkill. But that's just my own financial opinion. I do recognize that the grinder is the most important component.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 10:40am

K-30 = 1600
Budget = 900
Deficit = 700

Forte = 900
Budget = 900
Deficit = 0

Vario = 450
Budget = 900
Surplus = 450

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
DuncanIdaho

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 10:42am

I see what your saying I want to be at the point where my grinder is not holding me back it came with the machine I got used its beat up.. I did some mods to my Silvia and am very happy with how it runs. I just wanted a better grinder that will survive a upgradded espresso machine way down the road.. Its just between 8 and 9 on my rocky I get almost 3 oz of espresso with a triple basket in 19 seconds goto 8 and I get almost a stall.. I was looking at this machine also..

What about a mcap m4?
OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 12:34pm

Keep an eye out for used stuff if you're amenable to that.  I got my K30 Vario for $1K.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 6:08pm

I have 2 Macap M4s...bought my first one while I had my Silvia, and my second one with my Duetto. It's a great grinder, it's actually quite a bit quieter than the Rocky, the stepless adjustment is a dream to operate, the sweep mechanism in the doser is excellent (dosers allow you to do something else while grinding, and they also help break up clumps, they probably drop grounds in the pf cleaner than a chute too (but maybe not). Have you looked at the HG one? Other than lack of a hopper, it fulfills all of your needs, and you have the option of Major or Robur burrs...to me that's hard to beat.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
DuncanIdaho

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 6:58pm

jwoodyu Said:

IMO - I feel like i should start every post this way :)

Mazzer with a screen is waste which in turn means the any of the E models are a waste because I am going to sweep the chute every time. I am going to quick sweep the either the funnel or doser every time. IF you really think you can't get past sweeping and a doser then:

1.) Baratza Vario
2.) Drop the other shoe and by the K-30 Vario or a K8/K10 Fresh
3.) Hold out for the Baratza Forte in a couple of months

I really don't want to die on the doser/doserless hill but I use to think I could never live with a doser, I was wrong.

Posted May 8, 2013 link

I can get past those if the grinder options are better... I don't mind it to much...
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Thinking of a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291110038757)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+