Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Thinking of a buying a new grinder..
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Thinking of a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
DuncanIdaho

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 8:33pm
Subject: Thinking of a buying a new grinder..

I have a silvia and a rocky doser  I don't like this grinder it's to messy and I'm at a point where I'm stuck between clicks and cannot quite get it right.. I was looking at the vario and the vario-w is there something else I should be looking at? I read some threads on these grinders but they where a few years old thanks for the help...
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 3:06am
Subject: Re: Thinking of a buying a new grinder..

How much are you willing/able to spend?

DuncanIdaho Said:

... and I'm at a point where I'm stuck between clicks and cannot quite get it right ...

Posted May 7, 2013 link

This is quite common with the Rocky and other stepped grinders. To avoid this you should look for a stepless or at least virtually stepless grinder. The entry level grinder that falls into that category is the Baratza Preciso. The Vario (-W) also has so many settings that it comes very close to being stepless.

Depending on your budget you might want to take a look at the Nuova Simonelli MCI, any Mazzer, or the Compak K3-touch, to name but a few.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
DuncanIdaho

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 4:39am

i was looking at this guy to....

Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)
OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 5:49am

Well, I had the Mini-E, and was disappointed.  Unless you want to jump higher in price, I'd probably give the Vario-W a try.  I also like the look and price of this, but I've never played with it.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 5:52am

Used Jolly or Major on a dark room timer

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
DuncanIdaho

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 6:14am

OttoMatic Said:

Well, I had the Mini-issue way over pricedand was disappointed.  Unless you want to jump higher in price, I'd probably give the Vario-W a try.  I also like the look and price of this, but I've never played with it.

Posted May 8, 2013 link

What didn't you like about it?

Jwoody in my area everything used is way over priced
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 7:17am

DuncanIdaho Said:

i was looking at this guy to....

Posted May 8, 2013 link

Like I said, any Mazzer grinder will be a noticable upgrade. They're consistent and durable.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 7:39am

I think you've gotten some good advice so far, but you haven't laid out any parameters on what you're looking for other than implying something stepless or nearly stepless, and perhaps less messy.

What's your budget?
Will you consider used?
Do you have height/space restrictions?
Would you consider manual?
Do you plan to single dose, or do you want to utilize a hopper?
Do you want to stay with a doser, or are you considering doserless?
Are you interested in flat or conical burrs?

If you can answer these questions it would be a lot easier to pick out a group of grinders to consider from the vast ocean of those better than the Rocky in all respects.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 7:40am

I would actually look at the Vario especially for the money, search on here or HB and you'll find plenty that have had it and the Mini line and they put the Vario easily over it for taste in cup etc. Plus the Baratzas are very low retention grinders so depending on how many shots you make or single dosing, that's something to consider. Some have dropped in Super Jolly burrs and then said the taste is pretty much equal as far as against the Vario, which makes sense since many consider the Super Jolley and Vario pretty equal in the cup.
OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 7:42am

DuncanIdaho Said:

What didn't you like about it?

Posted May 8, 2013 link

Slow -- probably 20+ seconds to grind ~23g.  I couldn't set the timers long enough for this amount of grind.  I guess a positive of this is that you can continue to dose into your PF without getting too much in there; a fast grinder can drop more in your basket than you might want sometimes.

Clumpy -- had to do WDT and bang on them to break them up.

Relatively noisy -- they all are...

Worthless timers -- You can set them, but I wasn't able to get the same amount of coffee out per grind time (I weigh it on a 0.1g resolution scale after the grind time).  I just quit using them.

Grind retention -- there's a little metal grid behind which the coffee sits (at the exit chute) and it tends to pile up.  Many people, myself included, try to sweep that out, but it's a bit of a pain.  My new grinder probably does the same thing, but at least I can't see it!

Uneven distribution -- have to do WDT to not get squirts with a bottomless PF.  

Static -- if you take the grid off, you dramatically reduce clumps and grounds retention, but there's fly-away coffee everywhere.

So, pretty much the usual complaints about the Mini-E.

Now, don't get me wrong; it's a fine grinder, and will probably last longer than I will.  But, for that price, I guess I just expected more.  I didn't care for the fact that I had to play games with it -- kind of like temp surfing with an HX machine.  It was also my first high-end grinder, so I admit that I didn't really know what to expect.  I sold it about three months after buying it new.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Thinking of a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301819086075)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+