Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Help on how to setup my grinder
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help on how to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Lelouch

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 7:18pm
Subject: Help on how to setup my grinder

Hi guys,

I just received a Mazzer mini with doser. I cleaned it with the instructions from Wholelattelove. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0BJgLU38zw
However, when I try to find the zero setting on my grinder, I can't reach the sound that indicate the burrs are just touching. I repeated the procedures again and again. Then I try to grind some beans to see whether it works or nor. Unfortunately, the beans get in and get out instantly. Can anyone tell me what happened? What should I do?

Thanks for your time!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 8:08pm
Subject: Re: Help on how to setup my grinder

Lelouch Said:

Hi guys,

I just received a Mazzer mini with doser. I cleaned it with the instructions from Wholelattelove. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0BJgLU38zw
However, when I try to find the zero setting on my grinder, I can't reach the sound that indicate the burrs are just touching. I repeated the procedures again and again. Then I try to grind some beans to see whether it works or nor. Unfortunately, the beans get in and get out instantly. Can anyone tell me what happened? What should I do?

Thanks for your time!!!

Posted April 27, 2013 link

It sounds like you cross threaded the burrs when putting the top burr carrier back. Take it out again, check the threads, then put it back very carefully. The technique with a fine thread, is to turn it the wrong direction initially, until you "feel" it drop/seat slightly, then turn it in the correct direction. im making the assumption here from the limited information you post.......... that you can't turn it any finer.

If this is not the case, then simply keep tightening it down, spinning the burrs with your finger using the nut, until you just start to feel resistance, this will be the 0 point., back it off around 12 notches from there and see how it grinds, tightening or loosening as necessary.
Lelouch

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 8:36pm

Thank you very much!

I follow your instructions and it works pretty well.

Thanks again!

BTW, do you know why my Gaggia took 30 seconds to brew volume of a single shot? (I used 15 grams.) Before I clean the grinder, the machine only took 26 seconds to get to shots. I don't know whether my grind is too fine or not.
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 9:33pm

Lelouch Said:

BTW, do you know why my Gaggia took 30 seconds to brew volume of a single shot? (I used 15 grams.) Before I clean the grinder, the machine only took 26 seconds to get to shots. I don't know whether my grind is too fine or not.

Posted April 27, 2013 link

How does it taste? 30 seconds is within the range for a good shot. If your grind is too fine, it'll taste bitter and you should loosen the grind just a hair. If it tastes good, no need to do anything, really.
Lelouch

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 9:12pm

It tasted really bitter. I think its too fine.  

Today, I grinded a little coarser, and it tastes really amazing!  (28 sec for 2.5 ounce)

It is a great grinder. Compared to the starbucks' finest grind, which is too coarse; mazzer did a great job.

But I want to complain the doser, cuz its so hard to clean and calculate the exact amount of coffee I want.

Overall, it's a great grinder!

BTW, I tried some Starbucks tribute coffee beans (cuz buy one get one free discount), and it's definitely not for espresso. It tastes like
Traditional Chinese medicine, which was super  amère and nausées. C'est un gaspillage d'argent.
dyno

Espresso: Salvatore The Club/Oscar
Grinder: K6 Pro/Super Mini E
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 9:49pm

Many of us use a darkroom timer (I have a Time-o-Lite that's cool-retro) to help deliver the appropriate amount of coffee. It works pretty well, just clean the chute after each grind.

Also look up the amazing Schectermatic Shnozzola.  It helps greatly with the Mazzer doser's throw-left tendency.
Lelouch

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 10:09pm

Thank you!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help on how to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.257730007172)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+