Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Advise needed for used Mazzer mini
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Advise needed...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Powers

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 2:05pm
Subject: Advise needed for used Mazzer mini

Hi all

I've just joined, been browsing around for a while now and have decided on a Rancilio Silvia as Rancilio has a  branch in South Africa. Have the option of pairing with a new rocky or a used Mazzer mini for sale @ Click Here (www.gumtree.co.za) . I live in South Africa so don't have too many options and would like to know if the Mazzer @ $200 is a better buy than a new rocky @ $300. Also, the owner says its 3 years old, can anyone tell me when this unit, serial number: 0409454 was manufactured? Would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks
Nadeem

Powers: $T2eC16R,!)!E9s2fCHI4BRU-QCYzj!~~48_20.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 3:17pm
Subject: Re: Advise needed for used Mazzer mini

Buy the Mazzer Mini if it works.  I wouldn't waste $300 on a rocky and I would never get a rocky for espresso.  That is great price for the Mini.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 4:12pm

+1.  I don't see anything in that number that looks like a date - unless the 04 is April and the 09 is 2009 (making it 4 years old - so maybe the seller just has a bad memory)?  Maybe someone who knows Mazzers well can help?  I know with Macap grinders the serial numbers include the month and year of manufacture, and it just takes a few second thought to figure it out.  Anyhow, if it's really 3 years old or if it's 10 years old, it doesn't matter as long as it works.  A little cleaning...ok, maybe a lot of cleaning should get you up and running good to go if it's only 3 years old, but if it's 10 and works, then a lot of cleaning and a new burr set will get you there...either way, a much better deal than the Rocky

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
dspear99ca

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 10:24pm

If the Mini works, i.e. the motor turns with no bad noises, buy it.  New burrs can be had for less than $50 (shipping might cost a tad more to SA but they are small).  The Mini is a quantum leap better than the Rocky.  And $200 is a really good price... I just picked one up for $300.  The cheapest I've seen them new is just under $600.
gvegastiger

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 6:32pm

I wish I could find a Mazzer for $200.

Espresso: None
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 2:33am

I bought a Mazzer mini-e in September 2005 (New).  It has a serial number of 0501096.  I don't know if there is any logic in the serial number, but I suppose the first 2 digits could just be the year - honestly don't know. However, it does have a higher serial number than the one advertised, whatever that means in terms of manufacturing dates.  

Even if the seller is being a bit more than optimistic about its age, Mazzers are pretty well bullet proof. So provided it's in working order, unless it has had an extremely hard life or been abused it still looks a good buy for the price.
Powers

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 12:30pm

Thanks to everyone for advice given. The sellers not replying to my emails so not going to bother with that unit. Will definitely keep an eye out for others. Any thoughts on the Baratza Vario? I need a grinder for both French press and espresso and it seems that the Vario makes it fairly easy. Is it a pain to switch the Mazzer mini from espresso to French press and vice versa daily?

Espresso: None
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 1:20pm

Powers Said:

Is it a pain to switch the Mazzer mini from espresso to French press and vice versa daily?

Posted May 1, 2013 link

Yes ;o(  and you also have to purge out any remaining "wrong size" grounds each time you change.   It's doable though, and provided you mark EXACTLY where the Mazzer was set, you can return it very precisely.  Given the space though, life is so much simpler with 2 grinders. Although you need a competent grinder for non-espresso, it doesn't have to be state of the art or uber-expensive.  

There's a widely held view that grinders designed for espresso aren't at their best grinding for other brewing processes. Haven't ever tried it for the above reasons.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Advise needed...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.235018968582)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+