Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The New Baratza Forte
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The New Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
gvegastiger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 1:56pm
Subject: Re: The New Baratza Forte

What has kept me away from considering Baratza's has been the plastic enclosure.  It looks like they may be starting to understand that people want metal enclosures.
 View Profile Link to this post
Mort108
Mort108
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vetrano 2B, ROK
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Roaster: Local
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 9:11am

Anybody have an idea of the Forte vs the Mazzer Mini Doserless??  Same price point, and no doubt the Mazzer has a very good reputation for workmanship and performance...the Forte has a smaller overall footprint and fits better in a kitchen with standard 18" cabinets...I would have to get the smaller hopper and lid etc. for the Mazzer.  The Forte is a bit easier to program and I understand that Baratza updated (fixed) the software so the  settings do not disappear when you unplug or lose power.  I want to get one or the other to go with the new QM Vetrano DB...could be either one is just fine..thanks for help in advance.
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 1:45pm

Here's a comparison review of the Forte and Mini: Click Here (prima-coffee.com)
Mort108
Mort108

Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013, 8:39am

tglodjo Said:

Here's a comparison review of the Forte and Mini: Click Here (prima-coffee.com)

Posted August 30, 2013 link

Thanks for info...I had seen that and also the video from Prima-Coffee...but no one really plays hardball...sort of like car reviews where ad revenue seems to soften the reviews a bit...but as I said, I doubt if you could go wrong with either on.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Sep 2, 2013, 10:46am

I now have a Forte, ceramic burr version. I loved my Vario-W, but fell in love with certain features of the Forte, and got it in anticipation of purchasing a commercial style spring lever in the future, and wanted the option to either grind by time or weight.
I'm going to take a few more days to get familiar with everything. I downloaded the pdf manual. Baratza supplies a "quick start" card, which gets you going, for sure.

It is even more impressive on the counter than in the photos and demos. (speaking of which, someone needs to tell Chris at Prima not to be messing with the Macro lever with a hopper full of beans, and the grinder off LOL) He did a nice job of explaining the Forte's features.

I am contributing to a similar thread on HB, started by a fine CG'er, Evan Melancon. However, I'll be glad to post my impressions here in a couple of days, being careful not to "cross post" per se. I may go into some things here that might apply more to CG'ers, comparisons to other grinders i've owned, etc.

Please allow me a couple more days to live with the Forte before direct questions to me. I'll not be able to answer them fully, nor exactly.

OK, 1 comment: it's FAST, with zero static and zero clumping. To be fair, the humidity here in the Nashville area has been over 60% for quite a while.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ee61
ee61

Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 8:56am

IMAWriter how is the FORTE treating you and your beans?

Question, does the touch screen keep fingerprints, or does it keep pretty clean for you in real life?  

I ask because Chris Coffee has a video of the Vetrano 2B by Quick Mill Overview, and in the review they use the FORTE for grinding. I noticed in the background the touch screen looks pretty dirty. I took a screen shot showing my concern. What do you think now that you have had it for a spell.

ee61: test1 2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
primacoffee
primacoffee

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 8:59am

Chris here, from that Prima film. Good point about the macro lever, IMAWriter – ha!

Fingerprints haven't really been an issue for me, ee61. The display isn't too glossy, like an iPhone or something, so it doesn't really show off fingerprints. It's nice and bright, too, so if you smudge it up then you won't be able to tell once it's illuminated.

After working with the Forté for a few more weeks, I have a few more criticisms (which I included in a blog I wrote for Prima.)
  • This version of the "portaholder" slides off when grinding. I spoke with Quinn at Baratza about this and he's assured me that their next (maybe now current?) run won't have this issue.
  • If you're grinding for espresso and putting the Forté through heavy use, the grounds can get a bit warm – more so than they do through the Mini.
  • I think this is what jbviau was getting at earlier, and this part really annoys me: the hopper holds back beans. You won't notice if you're keeping the hopper full, but if you're single-dosing then you'll have to knock a few beans down into the throat almost every time. This hasn't been an issue with any Baratza grinder – it's just the hopper on the new Forté.

Still, the Fortes we got from Baratza are holding up well. They're solid and much, much more user-friendly than anything else around $900. I still recommend them.

Prima Coffee Equipment
http://prima-coffee.com
Mort108
Mort108

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 8:22am

What would you say is a good starting point for settings....single origin..full city roast Costa Rican...my Forte will be here tomorrow...
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 8:31am

All Vario's and Forte's will be a little different since the user has the ability to calibrate. I have a Vario W and I try to keep my espresso range 1-2 macro clicks down and micro at about mid range. I do this so that I can have as much coarseness as possible at the 10 range for when I switch between brew methods.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:27pm

As Chris @ Prima commented, no problem with the touch screen. I have no problem with the PF staying on. It's tight, in fact a good deal of effort is needed to remove it when grinding into the grinds bin.

As I don't often grind more than 2 doubles per session, usually spaced out by about maybe 2 minutes, I've not noticed any problem with the grind feeling overly warm.
I agree regarding a few beans that seem to ride on the rim of the hopper just above where they would normally fall down. A quick flick before grinding with my WDT needle (which I've not used in a long while) gets those strays down.
As this grinder was designed (IMO) for heavy duty use in a cafe setting (as well as those of us wanting a grinder with this feature set and build quality) I believe MOST would keep the hopper at least 2/3 full. Remember, as this has the "hopper-stopper" (no trademark yet...LOL) changing beans is now easy peezy. No need to weigh, measure or single dose grind. At least not in MY world. Build-wise, if you called a Mazzer Major a tank, I['d describe the Forte as sort of a rock solid BMW/Volvo combo.

I've finally purchased some Toscano, and yesterday was planning on doing taste comparisons to the Vario. I got sidetracked with work, imagine that!
I'll be doing my coffee thang tomorrow.
over on HB, I did comment that I to be picking up just a wee bit more citrus element from a varietal when ground in the Forte, that I don't remember experiencing when grinding with the Vario. Same batch, same roast (was frozen).
However, the same "SJ-like) lower toned essences are as they were with the Vario. This is not written in stone, due to no head to head comparison. That's hopefully for tomorrow. The machine will be an Alex Duetto 2. I'll start with the old CC specs for the Toscano as regards dose, temperature, and length of pull/volume.
Nothing scientific, just 2 old farts, maybe 3 slurping some spro.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The New Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.280786991119)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+