Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinders, cleaning, type of beans
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinders,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pjt

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 3:35pm
Subject: Grinders, cleaning, type of beans

I use my grinder for drip, French press, and espresso. I have recently broken (last 2 years) a Capresso and a Breville grinder. Each one has stopped eve though I have cleaned, vacuumed and scraped each one as clean as possible. I am using Starbucks beans and have been told that is the problem. They are "too oily." I am ready to upgrade in purchasing my next grinder, but do NOT want to burn out yet another-more expensive grinder!! This has gotten to be an expensive "hobby!!"
So, any thoughts about the beans ruining the grinders?
Any recommendations for the brand of my LAST grinder?
Any foolproof recommendations for keeping the new one clean?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 5:57pm
Subject: Re: Grinders, cleaning, type of beans

If you don't want to ever have to buy another grinder ever again, then you probably need to invest in a Mazzer. New or used, it'll probably outlive you. Buy beans from any of the roasters on the Home Barista list of favorites. It comes up at the top of the hits via google when you word it that way.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
OttoMatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 7:04pm

What's your budget?  

It's typically kinda hard to find a single grinder that works well for such a range of grinds (coarse to fine).  The Mazzer recommendation is solid, but such a machine would probably only be used for espresso.  I like the Mahlkoenig K30 Vario for espresso only, but it's kind of expensive.  You'll need something else for drip & FP.  I don't have any direct experience with it, but I understand that the Baratza Vario is fairly well-suited to moving between the different coarsenesses of grind, and is reasonably priced (something like $350 or $400).

I'm not sure about the beans killing the grinder.  I have a Capresso Infinity that's about 7 years old.  I have used it for something close to an espresso grind, as well as drip & FP.  I've used Starbucks & many other oily beans in it (until I saw the light, anyway...).  Never had a real problem with it.  The burrs definitely show some wear, but it still generally works fine.
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 10:20am

emradguy Said:

If you don't want to ever have to buy another grinder ever again, then you probably need to invest in a Mazzer.

Posted April 23, 2013 link

A Mazzer would definitely fit that requirement.  My SJ was a Starbucks grinder and it's still going strong.

pjt Said:

Any foolproof recommendations for keeping the new one clean?

Posted April 23, 2013 link

Switching beans will help.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinders,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225745201111)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+