Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
HG One and OE Pharos
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > HG One and OE...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
espressonewb1

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli Mdx
Drip: Technivorm Mocca Master
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 10:56am
Subject: HG One and OE Pharos

I am considering the purchase of an HG One or OE Pharos. My current grinder is an NS MDX which I like but also wanted to try conical burrs.

I know that the HG One is listed higher than the OE Pharos to the tune of $650 (rounded) and wanted to ask for feedback from the community to see if the incremental $'s are worth the investment in terms of taste. Just want to be clear: I'm not making a value judgement on the price points.

For me the HG One is a thing of beauty but I have to be practical as well.  There is also a difference in burr size 68mm for the OE Pharos and the HG One has two options  71mm and 83mm.

I know there is a thread on HB that goes into detail on the grinder but was looking for anyone on this board who has experience with both. Both Doug & Barb at OE and the folks at HG One are excellent to deal with.

Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 2:51pm
Subject: Re: HG One and OE Pharos

Hi. Sounds like you found this thread over on HB, but maybe you haven't checked out the other that explicitly compares both grinders?
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 7:42pm

That HB thread got locked after emotions got out of control.  One poster made his opinion LOUDLY known and created more backlash than any thread needs.

I have used both.  Both make great grinds.  The Pharos is a little harder to turn, but not by much.  Both are great looking designs.  All of this is my opinion, of course.

For what it's worth:  The Pharos is made in Idaho.  The HG-1 is primarily made in China.

I would love to have both, but chose the Pharos.

LMWDP # 010
espressonewb1

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 7:54am

Prof and JB thanks for the input...

I really like the Pharos but I wish it were simpler to get the grinds out.....I'll have to investigate the voodoo daddy mod. Has anyone here done it and is it difficult to do?

I think with the voodoo daddy mod and a template to mark your setting would make me go for the pharos since the savings are still significant.

I guess it's time to create an account at HB to get in contact with voodoo daddy

I read the HB thread yesterday and yes it got out of hand. Hopefully it will be restarted without all of the bantering.
seanconnery

Espresso: La Pavoni
Grinder: HG-One
Vac Pot: What kind of pot?
Roaster: Westbend
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:01am

See my review and another one:
Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)

seanconnery
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
uscfroadie
uscfroadie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3 Strada MP, BDB; owned...
Grinder: Forte, Zass and PeDe hand...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: owned Behmor
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:14am

I've owned both.  You may want to read my detailed review here on CG - my opinion, nothing more.

As for build origin, the Pharos is *assembled* in Idaho, just as the HG One is *assembled* in California.  Both have parts sourced/manufactured abroad.

Depending on where you live you may be able to find someone nearby with a Pharos to try.  Mine was #375, and they are much higher in numbers now.  Finding a HG One to play with will be more of a challenge.  Used Pharos grinders, modded and stock, come up on the BST Forum, so keep a watchful eye there.
espressonewb1

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 11:36am

Thanks USC and Sean Connery. Excellent reviews. I like the aesthetics and the design of the HG One and for me I'd consider the OE Pharos only with the voodoo daddy mod. Would be too much of a hassle in my opinion without the voodoo daddy mod.
juker

Espresso: Londinium
Grinder: HG-One
Roaster: Hot-Top P
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 8:06am

The biggest challenge for Pharos AND HG-One is steadiness of the grinder during operation.
Pharos came up with bench brackets (‘pharos dogs’ (?)), HG-One owners are using anti-skid pads of sort.
I applied 3M mounting tape on the bottom plate of my HG-One and it keeps it on my granite counter top rock solid for a single hand operation. It is a semi-permanent positioning though…
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 7:19am

I am also interested in regards to comparisons regarding tast between these two different hand grinders. The HB threads have beaten the ergonomics question beyond death. I am curious about differences in the cup if there are any. Seeing as they are both conicals they may not.

Another question I have is a comparison of adjustablilty in order to dial in the shot.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Personally I am not anywhere near anywhere that I can try either of these out.
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 4:30pm

Voodoodady's email is chan dot will at gmail dot com

I use an unmodified Pharos for brew more often than espresso. I have little trouble turning the handle or removing the grounds. It is harder to turn for espresso, but still not too difficult. Also, it is portable whereas the HG One is not. I may get an HG One at some point...quite nice.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > HG One and OE...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272282123566)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+