Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Steppless Preciso vs 40 steps analogues...
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Steppless...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pukipuki

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 6:02pm
Subject: Steppless Preciso vs 40 steps analogues...

I'm looking for an beginner-level grinder for my Gaggia Classic. I'd like to spend about 250, thus my choice is likely between MDF and Virtuoso. I can buy even Preciso if it will make a noticeable difference.

By reading Virtuoso and Preciso comparisons -  main advantage of Preciso now is that it is stepless so that 40 steps of Virtuoso - to wide to dial grinder for espresso. But at the same time, MDF or even Rocky are pretty popular ones and also have 40 steps. They have their weak sides (dozer in case of MDF) but I don't see complaints about the number of steps. 40 steps is kind of standard ... So, 40 steps of Virtuozo isn't the same 40 steps for Rocky/MDF?
 View Profile Link to this post
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 6:42pm
Subject: Re: Steppless Preciso vs 40 steps analogues...

Stepless is an advantage. If only planning on espresso use consider Lelit pl53. Guessing, from my experience, perhaps less chance of possible breakage. But my experience was with lower end models. If planning on using the grinder for other than espresso, the lelit is espresso only.

Skylar
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 8:19pm

Wouldn't say the Rocky or MDF are popular, years ago yeh, but their out of date now. Pretty much anybody turns people away from them. And yeh the steps of the Preciso, it basically acts stepless b/c of the micro adjustment, night and day difference there vs the Virtuoso. Seems a lot of people google/search and see people talkong about the Rocky etc being recommended but if they saw the dates of those post they were years ago lol.

Going to stepless or one that acts stepless (Preciso) is just a huge difference, dial it in, beans age dial it a smidgen tighter each day or two. Vs stepped grinders where your caught between steps and have to play with dose wasting coffee, then what about when the beans age and now your dialed in setting doesn't work.
pukipuki

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 11:00pm

I saw old dates etc. I thought it's a specific of the industry and there is not much to say here... in this price range at least ) I don't mind to reset my market research ) So far the summary looks like 40 steps grinders are outdated in this price range ?)

Thanks for pointing on Lelit, dedicated espresso grinder is what I'm looking for.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 8:19am

Refurbished Precisos run for $239 on the Baratza website, availability updated every Thursday am. They come with a one year warranty and full factory support (same as a new one).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
langcjl
langcjl

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Cory DCU
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 4:13pm

Buy the MDF and make it stepless. Nice burrs, infinite adjustment, massive brass burr carrier and made of metal. Lots of people like the Preciso but lots of problems too. MDF gets a bad rap because of the steps. Fix that and it's a fine grinder.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Steppless...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.422527074814)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+