Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Preciso espresso settings
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Preciso espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 12:54pm
Subject: Re: Preciso espresso settings

Espresso on mine is usually Macro 7-9 depending on dose amount and type of bean/blend, think I was at 7G today for espresso blend at 16 grams . I think when some are lower either the machine isn't calibrate/set right or they have wear and tear on the burrs or plastic ring.
 View Profile Link to this post
mamabean

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 3:05pm

DaninMaryland Said:

I am in the area (annapolis, MD) - cant beat Ceremony Coffee.  they roast all their beans onsite and they have won a lot of awards.  incredible coffee, they sell two different espresso blends, both excellent.

Posted March 1, 2013 link

Thanks, I will definitely check that out. My local whole foods just happened to carry Rabenz (http://www.rabenzcoffee.com/) roasted in Mt. Airy with a roasting date on it (only 4 days old!!) and it was amazing. The one I got was pygmy owl. If you check them out let me know what you think.

CMIN Said:

Espresso on mine is usually Macro 7-9 depending on dose amount and type of bean/blend, think I was at 7G today for espresso blend at 16 grams . I think when some are lower either the machine isn't calibrate/set right or they have wear and tear on the burrs or plastic ring.

Good to know. The beans I first used must have been really old since the ones I'm using now are dialing in around 7B (was at 5 before) and they were roasted just a few days ago.

greekespresso Said:

My experience and I think the general consensus is the exact opposite. As coffee ages you grind finer.

That's what I've been reading and it seems to make more sense to me too.

Ever Said:

I'm now using it at 3A for a fresh beans. ~20g, 28 seconds (per my roast's unique suggestions).

Laslty, I definitely experienced what people mentioned regarding having to increase the grind size as the coffee ages. I began my last bag at about 7 days post-roast at 3A. Within a week it was choking the machine at 3A, when at the start it was just fine.

Maybe your dial wasn't working properly and then all of sudden it kicked in?

Madurodave Said:

Many of us started out with using air popcorn poppers. I have a WestBend Air Crazy from Target - $20.

You have to eliminate the temperature safety or it may not get hot enough. Do a search and you will see what I mean by this.

Bad thing about them - only 3 - 4 oz of beans at a time. But in 1 hour you could have a pound done. Slow, but fun and a great way to learn!

Posted February 28, 2013 link

Once I get my perfect shot, I'll be moving on to this :)
Calendar

Espresso: Gaggia Classic/PID
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:30pm

My Preciso is set at 3C.  I find I rarely need to adjust it.

I'm vacuum sealing and then freezing beans about 3 days past roast in 1/2 lb increments.  I blend three different SO roasts (some decaf) from Black Gold Coffee http://www.blackgoldcoffeecompany.com/ (free delivery - I'm local).

My shots are 17.5 gr +- .5 - and I get about 1.75 oz in 30 seconds. I have a Gaggia Classic, so I keep the shots on the smaller side. It has a auber PID set to a start temp of 225F.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JimOD
JimOD

Espresso: Saeco Aroma Non Pressurized
Grinder: Baratza Preciso with Esatto
Drip: Bunn NHBX-B
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 1:36pm

CMIN Said:

I received a refurbished Preciso in early January as a replacement from Baratza.  Macro was 9 out of the box, and it's never been below 8.  I pull 2-6 shots a day, depending whether it's weekdays or weekends.  I've used 3 or 4 different blends at these settings.

My tongue is burned
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 2:13pm

Calendar Said:

My Preciso is set at 3C.  I find I rarely need to adjust it.

I'm vacuum sealing and then freezing beans about 3 days past roast in 1/2 lb increments.  I blend three different SO roasts (some decaf) from Black Gold Coffee http://www.blackgoldcoffeecompany.com/ (free delivery - I'm local).

My shots are 17.5 gr +- .5 - and I get about 1.75 oz in 30 seconds. I have a Gaggia Classic, so I keep the shots on the smaller side. It has a auber PID set to a start temp of 225F.

Posted March 4, 2013 link

3C... that would choke my machine, actually anything really below 6 macro starts choking the machine. Have you checked your calibration?
mamabean

Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:37am

Another question... when you're gearing down slowly to accommodate older beans and you get to for example 7A do you go to 6K? I can't figure out if grind size goes down consecutively like that or if I have to place it somewhere in the middle.
dspear99ca

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 3:25pm

mamabean Said:

Another question... when you're gearing down slowly to accommodate older beans and you get to for example 7A do you go to 6K? I can't figure out if grind size goes down consecutively like that or if I have to place it somewhere in the middle.

Posted March 24, 2013 link

According to Baratza, the macro settings overlap somewhat, so 6K is likely coarser than 7A and not the other way around as in your example.
mamabean

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 6:51pm

dspear99ca Said:

According to Baratza, the macro settings overlap somewhat, so 6K is likely coarser than 7A and not the other way around as in your example.

Posted March 27, 2013 link

Bummer that's what I thought. Bit of a pain to tamper with to get the right grind settings!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Preciso espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355808019638)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+