Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Recommendation to buy a Mazzer Mini online
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Recommendation...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
samgiles

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola /...
Grinder: Mazzer Major / Zassenhaus...
Roaster: Hottop D
Posted Thu Jan 14, 2010, 4:44pm
Subject: Re: Recommendation to buy a Mazzer Mini online

A couple of thoughts. How long are you keeping beans in the hopper for? The hopper isn't an ideal storage canister and the beans are likely to stale far more quickly if they stay in there for days. The Pavoni really doesn't like stale beans and will pull fast, thin shots no matter how good the grinder is if the beans are stale.

I think your 3 year old would have difficulty moving the adjustment collar with or without the lever in place. It's pretty stiff. You could keep the lever separate if worried or some people will make the adjustments without using the lever at all. It takes a little strength though.
 View Profile Link to this post
Kaffeeliebhaber
Kaffeeliebhaber

Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: Technivorm KBT 741
Roaster: skillet
Posted Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:10am

Don't let anyone question you about your decision for the mini.  IMO, its the most durable and overall, best machine specific for expresso in its price range.    In my experience, i would consider looking for one at a restaurant supply store.  Ebay will have em used but it'll be a tuff win.
Ringer
Ringer

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Breville Smart Ginder
Drip: Cuisinart Coffeemaker...
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 10:28am

What do you suggest is better and cheaper?

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Lots of people are very happy with their Mazzer Mini.  Personally I think that you can do better, and for less money.  But it's your money to spend; not ours.  

Posted January 14, 2010 link

OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 8:56am

I'm selling one in the BST forum here on CG.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 9:03am

Depends upon your usage patterns, and if you are comfortable with buying used or not.  I had a Mazzer Mini and loved the grinder/hated the noise.  You would get a better grinder if you bought a used Mazzer Super Joly, or a Baratza Vario.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
dorkroast
dorkroast

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 9:40pm

I've done the evil "adjustment without it running" act on my Mazzer Mini and no, it won't implode afterwards. As others have said, if you reduce the grind size while beans are in the hopper beans "may" get jammed between the burrs during the adjustment. When you turned the grinder on, nothing would happen as the burrs were seized by the jammed up beans. I guess if you left the grinder on while seized you could burn something up- but you'd have to try to screw up a Mazzer. Just increase the grind size, run the grinder to clean out the burrs, and adjust again and everything will be fine.

Yes you can remove the adjustment lever to keep your daughter from playing with it, however as others have said the Mazzer is fairly firm to adjust down. The lever is just a threaded rod that screws into the collar- it has a tendency to want to fall out anyway.

I purchased my Mini at 1st Line. There are plenty of other retailers out there, but 1st Line had a big sale at the time so I bought it there.

I personally love my mini. Yeah, if I had to do it all over again I'd probably buy a used Mazzer Super Jolly- there seem to be plenty of them available, they are cheap used, and they are easy to fix. Of course at the time of my original purchase I had no grinder and had no real experience with the Mazzers so I didn't realize how bulletproof and easy to fix they were.

I saw someone recommend the Barratza Vario. I personally don't care for the construction of the Barratza line. I'm sure they do a fine job grinding- they are often recommended and plenty of people love them. I handled them a bit and thought they felt cheap and plastic-y (I know it's not a word). They just didn't inspire confidence that they would last that long. I also thought the adjustment levers on the Vario seemed cheap like I could snap them off. I purchased my Mazzer for about the same price as a Vario. When I got it and lifted it out of the box I knew it was a solid grinder. It's one big chunk of aluminum. The only plastic on the grinder is the hopper.

I think the Mazzer  line would make you happy. For every person that loves a Mazzer, there is someone else on the forum that will tell you to buy something else. Read them all but know whichever way you go you'll end up with a good grinder.

You want to see a crazy discussion, search to see a comparison between Blendtec and Vitamix blenders- those blender folks are a bunch of violent crazy zealots..... I'd tell you which I purchased but I'm afraid someone would come to my house and crucify me. :)
dorkroast
dorkroast

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 9:57pm

Dodge1 Said:

If you have your heart set on a Mazzer Mini I'd suggest buying one from Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

However, before you pull the trigger on a Mini, I'd suggest that you take more than casual look at:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

"The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread"

Those posts are the reason that I now own a Vario.

Posted January 14, 2010 link

I read some of those posts after my previous post on this thread.... I think they are mostly accurate and mostly positive about the mini.

I guess what the home user has to realize about the Mini is that it was designed as a small commercial grinder to be used in a commercial manner. The way home users utilize the Mini is quite different how it is used in a cafe. We tend to single does the hopper- only putting in enough beans for each drink we want to pull....this leaves the doser almost empty....an empty doser leads to quirky behavior... In a commercial setting the hopper would be full, I'd fill the doser, then I'd pull the lever twice to fill my portafilter and everything would be wonderful. At home I put two scoops of beans in the hopper, grind them, then have to pull the handle multiple times to make sure I get all of my ground beans out of the doser because the doser is nearly empty. Usually then I open the doser and brush any leftover coffee into the vanes so I can can keep it out of the doser.... This crazy handle pulling also has the effect of throwing the ground coffee out of the doser to the left which can miss the portafilter if it's not held to the left.

The Vario was made for home users- it doesn't have some of the quirks that the Mini has with left thrown grounds, and multiple lever pulls. The Vario does have some of it's own quirks with static throwing the grounds around.

It's all a matter of preference- either grinder would be great, but each has its own quirks.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Recommendation...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27468419075)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+