Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Should I return my new Mazzer Mini E?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Should I return...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 4:43pm
Subject: Re: Should I return my new Mazzer Mini E?

Depends on you.  And depends on the grinder.  Some grinders will just be pains in the a&& during break-in(its a relative term..there is some debate about what is actually happening here), and some will just need a little more attention.

IT might be something as simple as adjusting the grinder slightly finer, EACH shot, until everything is sound..  Or it might be a case of the grind setting changing all over the map, more and less amounts of coffee being held back in the chamber, CLUMPED grounds, static-charged...

It all depends.

Dont use good coffee to run through though.. order some crap-ola bag of 5lbs stale coffee online somewhere.  I just bought a new K10 recently, and right after I got off the phone with Mary at Chris coffee, I went over to Amazon and placed an order for two, 5lbs bags of coffee, I think they were 27 bucks each.  Definitley stale(so I didn't order a dark roast), and definitely cheap.  PERFECT for grinder break in.

As it turns out, out of the box, MY k10 has been pretty solid.  The grind setting is drifting finer and finer since day 1, but otherwise its easy-espresso-city.  So I might not even need to use the coffee I bought to waste.  But, if I did need it, and didn't have it, I wouldn't have wanted to wait to order it, then arrive, blah blah..

See how YOUR grinder behaves, act accordingly.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
jamierayo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 4:51pm

When I wanted to upgrade my Rocky, I bought a used Mini E type A & was rather disappointed with it. The clumping was terrible, and it was quite  slow. Although I now single dose, one of the selling points for me at the time was the adjustable (timed) 1 & 2 shot one-push buttons. The Mini E was so slow that I couldn't adjust the timer enough to grind 20 grams. At the highest setting, the double button would grind approximately 12 grams before it stopped. Even with single dosing into the neck, this was still a problem for me. I wanted to set the PF in the holder & just push one button.

I then bought a set of Super Jolly burrs.
Immediately, both issues were resolved (even before the break-in).  Now my Mini grinds a double in no time, with no clumping at all. The grinds are fluffier, & I may just be imagining it, but I swear the fresh grounds even smell better.  

- Just my 2 cents, but it was a huge upgrade for quite cheap.
 View Profile Link to this post
CarloM

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 9:04am

Jamierayo - where did you buy your Super Jolly burrs from? Have you had no motor issues with your Mini-E using the Jolly burrs? No stalling/choking? People were speculating that since the SJ runs at lower RPMs that the SJ burrs would choke or stall the Mini-E, or that the Mini-E would struggle with it. Is this not your experience?

I really like my Mini-E Type A except for the clumping. I don't want to remove the anti-static screen because I don't want to deal with the grind spray, but if switching to SJ burrs really does eliminate clumping while maintaining grind quality and not it doesn't overtax or choke the Mini-E motor I'm willing to buy a set and swap out my burrs.
DavecUK

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 9:35am

The best mod you can do to the mini e is removing that grid in the exit chute!

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/mazzer-mini-e-modifications

I've not even bothered to remember where mine is and it's NEVER going back.
schwaggy

Espresso: Alex Duetto III
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E Type A w/ SJ...
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:03am

CarloM Said:

Jamierayo - where did you buy your Super Jolly burrs from? Have you had no motor issues with your Mini-E using the Jolly burrs? No stalling/choking? People were speculating that since the SJ runs at lower RPMs that the SJ burrs would choke or stall the Mini-E, or that the Mini-E would struggle with it. Is this not your experience?

I really like my Mini-E Type A except for the clumping. I don't want to remove the anti-static screen because I don't want to deal with the grind spray, but if switching to SJ burrs really does eliminate clumping while maintaining grind quality and not it doesn't overtax or choke the Mini-E motor I'm willing to buy a set and swap out my burrs.

Posted April 19, 2013 link

You can get SJ burrs from http://www.espressoparts.com/MC_18?&search_id=2057073

Be aware that there are "older" sets designated 33D and newer sets as 33M - an easy way to tell you're getting the newer set is that they come in a plastic bag as opposed to packed on a small piece of cardboard, and the flats (reverse side) of the burrs are marked "MAZZER". I'm not sure of any performance issues with the 33D, but I was able to to a side-by-side inspection and the 33M looked more refined. I think Mazzer simply changed suppliers or factories.

I installed a set in my Mini E Type A and my grind time for 20g decreased from 18-20 seconds to 9-11 seconds. This alone was worth the $45 price.

I grind 4-8 shots over a 10 minute period and there are zero issues with bogging the Mini's motor using Super Jolly burrs.
CarloM

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 1:07pm

Thanks for the Espressoparts link! I also saw that Seattle Coffee Gear sells then for $35 and I've ordered from them before so I wouldn't have to establish a new account, but I am wondering if they'd be the 33M or 33D.
Seattle Coffee Gear Mazzer Burrs Link
I emailed SCG asking if they were official Mazzer and they said yes. I then asked if they were distinctly different from the Mini-E and they said

The teeth and diameter on the Super Jolly and Mini-E are the same, but the way they fit into the machine will be different so you will need to order the burrs for your specific grinder.

Is this true? They make it sound like the teeth on the burrs are identical but the fit is different, implying that they won't fit in my Mini-E. Should I just order from Espresso Parts and eat the $12? You didn't have any fit issues with yours (i.e. the holes are in the right place)?
schwaggy

Espresso: Alex Duetto III
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E Type A w/ SJ...
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 1:54pm

CarloM Said:

Thanks for the Espressoparts link! I also saw that Seattle Coffee Gear sells then for $35 and I've ordered from them before so I wouldn't have to establish a new account, but I am wondering if they'd be the 33M or 33D.
Seattle Coffee Gear Mazzer Burrs Link
I emailed SCG asking if they were official Mazzer and they said yes. I then asked if they were distinctly different from the Mini-E and they said
Is this true? They make it sound like the teeth on the burrs are identical but the fit is different, implying that they won't fit in my Mini-E. Should I just order from Espresso Parts and eat the $12? You didn't have any fit issues with yours (i.e. the holes are in the right place)?

Posted April 19, 2013 link

The 33M or 33D burrs for the SJ fit with no modification in the Mini E.
SJ burrs installed in the "regular", older Mini require the burr carriers from the SJ, or for the carriers to be modified on the Mini.

They also have the 33M burrs here: http://www.visionsespresso.com/
But you'll have to call and be specific that you want the 33M as they have hundreds of 33M and 33D all mixed in the same box.
I picked mine up from them last week. This is why I had the opportunity to directly compare both 33M against 33D. The casting on the 33M is cleaner and more refined, though I'm sure after several pounds of grinding, they'd look the same.

Cheers
CarloM

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 3:12pm

I'll probably pick em up from Espressoparts since I think they're pretty reputable and well known.

Question: you upgraded the burrs but you did not remove your screen, right? (like DavecUK did?) I really want to avoid removing the antistatic screen if I can help it, and you say that clumping (my #1 irritant right now) is greatly reduced or eliminated with just a change of the burrs?

Thanks!
jamierayo

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:10pm

I bought my SJ burrs on eBay. They were around $20 with free shipping, so I couldn't pass them up. They were NIB 33D's, but I didn't mind. The price was right & they work great. I couldn't find any evidence to say the 33M's really produce a better cup.

If I were to buy new, I'd likely buy from Chris's or SCG. Apparently, both places sell them for $35, and both (my experience) have quite reasonable shipping charges, good customer service, & quick turnaround. I've ordered parts from espressoparts too, and am happy with their service, but I won't pay $48 for something I can get elsewhere for $35. They don't offer USPS shipping either, so that makes the shipping cost 3x's what I'd pay from Chris's or SCG. (SCG has better online ordering for me, so they often get my business.)

SCG should not have told you that about the burrs. That is absolutely wrong. The SJ & Mini E burrs are exactly the same size & bolt pattern. The teeth are very different.

The Mini E motor does not slow a bit with the SJ burrs. My thought is that the Mini E is still sold as a light commercial grinder, so it needs a duty cycle to reflect that. The less aggressive burrs probably allow for a more marketable cycle (longer "on" duration & shorter "off") Duty cycle for a home grinder isn't much of a concern. My motor doesn't get hot & doesn't bog down.

AFAIK, the SJ & Mini E turn at the same speed. The Mini E is shorter. It uses the same hoppers. With the same burrs, I really can't see any advantage the SJ has over the Mini E (for home use). I may be overlooking something. If anyone has a reason I've missed, I'd be happy to know.
jamierayo

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:41pm

I got carried away with that post & forgot to answer the last question. (It's Friday night & my new Kalita waves arrived in the mail today, so I'm on a bit of a coffee buzz ;-)

I installed the SJ burrs, but kept the screen in place. Clumping was greatly reduced. Clumps are few to minimal with an espresso grind. If I crank it all the way down to produce a fine Turkish powder, it will still make plenty of  clumps. I don't need to grind that fine, so it's not a problem.

Perhaps removing the screen would further reduce clumping. I'm satisfied with the grinding now, so I haven't tried it.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Should I return...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26747918129)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+