Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 188 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 6:47pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

Winnisk Said:

I agree that dosing by the timer is as accurate taste wise as single dosing by weight. However, I love the versatility in terms of changing beans that single dosing allows for. I like bolder, chocolate leaning espresso in milk drinks and lighter, fruitier espresso straight. I also freeze my beans in small batches for this reason. Today was fun with my sister in law over trying a range of different espressos back to back. So far I have found the Vario to be remarkably consistent when changing settings back and forth for different blends when single dosing.

Posted April 7, 2013 link

This makes perfect sense. I missed that point.

I would also like to express my gratitude to Colin who helped me fix a set screw problem over the phone on Friday. It was amazing how fast he diagnosed the issue, guided me through the repair and was genuinely concerned that we get it right. A great grinder with first rate service!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
andersschroder

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 1:47am
Subject: My new Vario behaving weirdly!

I got a Vario last week (the one with the 2mm adjustment screw) and its behaving weirdly.

I used to have a Rocky but traded it in for the Vario because i didn't like the clumping. I was able to get a consistent pour almost every time. But since i got the Vario they are all over the place.

The first day i could choke my Silvia on the finest setting. Then 4 pours later it was pouring crazy gushers. I adjusted the little screw and it was fine. I ran 8 pours and it started gushing again, needed adjusting again and so i did.

4 pounds later, i had it all dialed in with the sliders. Last night and i consistently made 6 pours that were perfect at the D setting! This morning it made crazy gushers without touching anything. I moved the slider down to T and ran a couple of nice pours. Then it started gushing again.

I'm always moving the slider with the grinder running, and used the same type of beans, i use the same tamping technique every time with a calibrated ESPRO tamper..

This can't be right?
 View Profile Link to this post
greekespresso
greekespresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 2:44am
Subject: Re: My new Vario behaving weirdly!

More an educated guess of mine than an explanation.

I believe that you are trying to grind finer than the zero point so sometimes you get the right coarseness because the bottom burr is stuck and sometimes you get gushers because is forcibly pushed down.  
Clean thoroughly the grinder, calibrate the grinder at macro 1 step down from top and micro at the middle and never go finer from this point. If you cannot get the required extraction times (too fast times) change the coffee to something fresher ( 1 week passed the roast date).

PS1 I assume that you precisely dose by using scale and there is no problem with your distribution/tamping techniques.
PS2  The fine calibration voids the warranty for the Mahlkönig Vario Home grinders if still your grinder is under it.
http://www.mahlkoenig.de/file/download/default/id/4342

www.greekespresso.gr
andersschroder

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 3:52am

Thanks for your answer!

I had to adjust the screw since i could not get the grind fin enough. So i had to break the sticker. Crazy that such an expensive needs calibration out of the box which voids the warranty. Anyway im stuck with it now.

So, how do i make sure that i start from base position since i already fiddled with the 2mm key?

How should i begin calibrating it?
greekespresso
greekespresso

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 4:55am

If your coffee has a print on the package "use before" and not "roast date" change the coffee.

Back to subject:

1) Check the following for a basic understanding of the adjustment mechanism.
"Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread"

2) Move both sliders down, remove the upper burr holder assembly (no need to remove the burr from the carrier) and vacuum clean the grinder. A few members suggest in addition the removal of the bottom burr from its carrier but I have not seen any official support for that from the barazza people.

3) Perform the fine calibration as per link below
Click Here (www.baratza.com)

3a) There is a video as well at baratza's site:
http://www.baratza.com/troubleshooting/#

3b) The base position is hard to tell because you do not hear the burrs touching but the labor of the motor. In my video when my grinder was out of the box I believe that had happened at around the 33rd second. Read the description text of the video and the link to coffeegeek therein.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkBrDpbCAEs

3c) If you drink only espresso, it does not matter if you listen the motor laboring at macro #2. Just move the slider back at #3 and check for the sound change with the micro slider.

Good luck.

www.greekespresso.gr
andersschroder

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 6:41am

Thanx you. I will give it a shot!

The randomnesd could that be due to a loose primary screw?
andersschroder

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 9:54am

Does this sound right now?
http://youtu.be/__sv34ZuEaE
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 9:59am

Hi Anders,

Yes.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
RonRon

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 9:04pm

Hi, all. New member here. I was hoping to get some advise on a problem I encountered. I loosened the 2.5mm screw while attempting to calibrate my Vario. After sliding the screw to where I wanted, I tightened it. However, even though I cannot tighten the screw anymore, it can slide front to back as well as side to side. Did I possibly loosen it too much initially? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you

Ron
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 6:31am

RonRon Said:

Hi, all. New member here. I was hoping to get some advise on a problem I encountered. I loosened the 2.5mm screw while attempting to calibrate my Vario. After sliding the screw to where I wanted, I tightened it. However, even though I cannot tighten the screw anymore, it can slide front to back as well as side to side. Did I possibly loosen it too much initially? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you

Ron

Posted April 16, 2013 link

Ron, I have to ask, WHY did you loosen the 2.5mm screw. The manual is pretty specific that only the 2mm screw need be adjusted.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 188 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327060937881)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+