Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Is the Baratza Maestro upgrade from a Kitchenaid Proline Burr Grinder?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Is the Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Paulzinho
Paulzinho
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Ranchilio Nacy
Grinder: KitchenAid Proline
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 1:12pm
Subject: Is the Baratza Maestro upgrade from a Kitchenaid Proline Burr Grinder?

I saw a used Baratza Maestro that looks to be in good condition for sale at a local pawn shop for $40.  I am wondering if anyone know is it is better at grinding for espresso than my current Kitchenaid Proline Burr Grinder.  My Coffee Machine is a Ranchilio Nancy.

Thanks guys,
You Rock the coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 4:49pm
Subject: Re: Is the Baratza Maestro upgrade from a Kitchenaid Proline Burr Grinder?

I would say yes but neither is an espresso quality grinder, not unless you have a pressurized ports filter.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 5:00pm
Subject: Re: Is the Baratza Maestro upgrade from a Kitchenaid Proline Burr Grinder?

+1

Having said that, I started with a Maestro. Then I got a Rocky. It was a huge improvement. However, I wouldn't even recommend it because it's pretty limited and difficult to use properly. I think you'd be better off spending $40 on a Hario slim manual grinder.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Paulzinho
Paulzinho

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 12:22pm

Sorry I never got any email alerts about any replies, though I thought I had it configured.
Thanks for your opinions.
I going to see if there is a return policy or not and if I can somehow calibrate Maestro for espresso.
If not I'll pass on the Maestro.
Nope I don't have a pressurized portafilter.

thanks,
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 1:29pm

Paulzinho Said:

Sorry I never got any email alerts about any replies, though I thought I had it configured.
Thanks for your opinions.
I going to see if there is a return policy or not and if I can somehow calibrate Maestro for espresso.
If not I'll pass on the Maestro.
Nope I don't have a pressurized portafilter.

thanks,

Posted April 10, 2013 link

Can't really "calibrate" the Maestro for espresso, just not capable, it's a coarse needs only grinder. You'd be way better off with cheap hand grinder that can actually grind for espresso like the Hario Slim (which I have too) or Skerton like mentioned above which will far outperform the Maestro fir fine grinding. You may be able to get away with the Maestro if you had low end machine with a pressurized portafilter (which isn't real espresso or crema) but since you have a normal basket you need an espresso capable grinder.

Baratza's Preciso is the entry espresso grinder, and really the cheapest "espresso" capable grinder in general since it has so many steps for macro/micro that it works almost like a stepless grinder. The regular Virtuoso beneath the Preciso is stepped and can be capable, but relatively speaking. You may find a setting that works for 1 day then as the beans age your SOL and will go nutz trying to play with dose to get it right.
pfn

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 2:16pm

Why upgrade to an equally crappy grinder when you can put mazzer mini burrs into the KA grinder?

I just ordered the KA pro-line, mini burrs and mod kit. All-told, for a new brand new grinder, I've spent $165+53.99+34.95 (253.94 total) for a new grinder that will supposedly produce grinds approximately equivalent to a mazzer mini. Given you've already got the grinder, you could spend $34.95 on new burrs (from ccs) and 53.99 on the mod kit (from ben choong, before he stops selling them).

I tried hard to find a grinder I would want to purchase for $250, new, there's really only a Lelit PL53, Ascaso i-mini or i-2 that seemed to look even remotely reasonable. Their ergonomics don't seem so attractive, though...

For under $100, it seems like a mazzer burr upgrade produces far greater bang for the buck? For myself, I hope so... my only real concern is long-term reliability and speed of grinding, how long will it take to grind anywhere from 14g to 20g?

(of course, I have a whole 'nother slew of mods I'd want to do to it: stepless, finger-guard removal, etc.)
Paulzinho
Paulzinho

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 5:07am

Excellent idea.  I'll look into upgrading the burrs. the KA proline is know for reliability and for me has been perfect for 4 years.  for speed, it fills my double portafilter in 3 seconds, if that is any help.

pfn Said:

Why upgrade to an equally crappy grinder when you can put mazzer mini burrs into the KA grinder?

I just ordered the KA pro-line, mini burrs and mod kit. All-told, for a new brand new grinder, I've spent $165+53.99+34.95 (253.94 total) for a new grinder that will supposedly produce grinds approximately equivalent to a mazzer mini. Given you've already got the grinder, you could spend $34.95 on new burrs (from ccs) and 53.99 on the mod kit (from ben choong, before he stops selling them).

I tried hard to find a grinder I would want to purchase for $250, new, there's really only a Lelit PL53, Ascaso i-mini or i-2 that seemed to look even remotely reasonable. Their ergonomics don't seem so attractive, though...

For under $100, it seems like a mazzer burr upgrade produces far greater bang for the buck? For myself, I hope so... my only real concern is long-term reliability and speed of grinding, how long will it take to grind anywhere from 14g to 20g?

(of course, I have a whole 'nother slew of mods I'd want to do to it: stepless, finger-guard removal, etc.)

Posted April 10, 2013 link

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 5:15am

If you already have the KA, you have little to loose in mucking around with it to improve it but as an alternate route to an espresso able grinder, not so much. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

pfn

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 6:12am

Paulzinho Said:

Excellent idea.  I'll look into upgrading the burrs. the KA proline is know for reliability and for me has been perfect for 4 years.  for speed, it fills my double portafilter in 3 seconds, if that is any help.

Posted April 11, 2013 link

As I understand it, i.e. heard from others who have performed the mazzer burr transplant, the grind time slows dramatically (but the grinds are much-improved). 3 seconds in its original state sounds so very fast, though.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 9:03am

I am not going to say that they are wrong, but I find that commercial grinders chew through coffee at a much faster rate than home grinders do. My SJ grinders, with SJ burrs, take 6 to 7 seconds to grind 18 g of coffee.

That KA grinder must be running at an amazing speed. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Is the Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293056964874)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+