Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Some help for my new coffee shop would be amazing
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Some help for my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
anaqvi138

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 11:24am
Subject: Some help for my new coffee shop would be amazing

Hi everyone,

So my girlfriend and I decided to jump into the coffee shop business.  We have been carefully planning every aspect. Right now, we are trying to come up with a very good estimate of the startup cost so that we can get the funds from our investors. My girlfriend was a barista at another coffee shop so she has some experience and we will be hiring another barista with a few years under the belt. My question is, what would you guys recommend me getting for a regular grinder and a espresso grinder that would be for commercial use and serve 100-200 people daily. I have been searching everywhere online and i usually end up with answers like get Mazzer and get burr doserless grinder. I saw the Mazzer Mini was great but i'm not sure that can cut it for commercial use. I'm hoping the cost is under 2k because I would need 2 espressor grinders, one for regular and one for decaf. And then what would you recommend as a regular coffee bean grinder. Thank you!
 View Profile Link to this post
OttoMatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 1:27pm
Subject: Re: Some help for my new coffee shop would be amazing

I don't necessarily have a suggestion for something that will work, but I'll say that the Mazzer Mini probably won't.  It's too slow, and it's only supposed to run for something like 20-30 seconds and then be off for 20-30 seconds (seems like that's not quite right on the numbers, but you get the idea).  It's not gonna be able to kick out the coffee at the pace needed during your peak times.

Good luck!
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 3:30pm

For under $400 you could get a pre-owned Mazzer Super Jolly (SJ). Figure $350 fir the grinder, $50 for new burrs.
For lighter duty for your drip, try the Baratza Preciso, or the more expensive Baratza Vario with the metal burr option.
Or you can look around and get one of the big square Bunn (and other manufacturers) commercial bulk grinder if you're doing the big airpots. I hope not. The newest (and best) trend in coffee now is to do custom 12oz Hand pour coffee, using either a Hario, Beehouse, or Chemex brewer.
In that case, either baratza would be a better (IMO) choice.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 5:23pm

Baratza just announced their commercial grade grinder which seems to be targeted for non espresso use. it's coming out over the summer.

Living the caffeinated life.
CHenry

Espresso: Olympia Express Maximatic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic Type...
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: none
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 5:55pm

Besides serving espresso, do you have any other lines of business? Will you be serving drip for take-out service? Catering? Will you be selling beans and grinding to order for your customers (in which case, you will want two bulk grinders, the Bunn box grinders or if you want bling, the Mahlkonig's. The latter needs 220v. IIRC.) Custom brews like with Clover might be the trend, but it won't pay the bills.

I second the idea of a refurb/used Jolly or Mazzer Major, with new burrs.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 6:50pm

anaqvi138 Said:

Hi everyone,

So my girlfriend and I decided to jump into the coffee shop business.  We have been carefully planning every aspect. Right now, we are trying to come up with a very good estimate of the startup cost so that we can get the funds from our investors. My girlfriend was a barista at another coffee shop so she has some experience and we will be hiring another barista with a few years under the belt. My question is, what would you guys recommend me getting for a regular grinder and a espresso grinder that would be for commercial use and serve 100-200 people daily. I have been searching everywhere online and i usually end up with answers like get Mazzer and get burr doserless grinder. I saw the Mazzer Mini was great but i'm not sure that can cut it for commercial use. I'm hoping the cost is under 2k because I would need 2 espressor grinders, one for regular and one for decaf. And then what would you recommend as a regular coffee bean grinder. Thank you!

Posted April 5, 2013 link

Here is a good read for you in 20 sections - and good luck!

Click Here (www.buzzkillerespresso.com)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Some help for my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230726957321)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+