Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer mini doser
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer mini...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
dspear99ca

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 10:13pm
Subject: Mazzer mini doser

I picked up a mini today, randomly there it was on Craigslist, couldn't pass it up. It's got the doser on it and I gotta say my first impression is negative. In order to get any control over the dose, you need to grind far more than you are going to use to fill the doser chambers. I have to figure out how to approach single, or at least double dosing rather than a hopper full of ground coffee going stale while i twich and sweat from trying to drink all that espresso. Grounds retention is crazy big, it's stuck in the chute, it's all over the doser, very very different than my doserless Preciso.  But I definitely feel confident I can bequeath this beast to my grand kids in 25 years and it will still work just as well as it does today. It is HEAVY.

Are there any tips or suggestions as to how to work with the doser?  I am inclined to remove it but I want to give it a chance. So many mini users can't be wrong.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 6:21am
Subject: Re: Mazzer mini doser

Unless you have a coffee shop, do not use the Doser to measure your dose. Go by weight or time. (Darkroom timer sound familiar?)
Look up to the CBSJ MOD to help with the Doser retention and most of us use something like a chopstick to clean the chute. The mini is a very good grinder but the series of grinders were designed for commercial duty so  WE need to adapt to it.

Use the Doser as a place to hold the grounds until you are ready to use them, this speeds up your work flow as you can grind whole pulling your shot.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dspear99ca

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 6:48am

calblacksmith Said:

Unless you have a coffee shop, do not use the Doser to measure your dose. Go by weight or time. (Darkroom timer sound familiar?)
Look up to the CBSJ MOD to help with the Doser retention and most of us use something like a chopstick to clean the chute. The mini is a very good grinder but the series of grinders were designed for commercial duty so  WE need to adapt to it.

Use the Doser as a place to hold the grounds until you are ready to use them, this speeds up your work flow as you can grind whole pulling your shot.

Posted April 5, 2013 link

I'll play with it this weekend.  I read the manual and would, ideally, like to adjust the doser so that it reliably dispenses 7.5-8g of coffee.  Maybe won't need to use the scale as much... maybe this is possible, maybe not.  I looked around last night at doserless mods but there's really mixed opinions.  Apparently the doser reduces static / clumping, but installation of SJ burrs seems to be recommended to fix these issues.  Also, I like the way the grinder looks, and gluing a plastic 2L bottle on the front to turn it into a doserless funnel doesn't appeal to me at all.

EDIT just had a look at your CBSJ mod, wow does that ever look slick!  I may just do it on this weekend as I plan to give the machine a good cleaning anyway.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 7:00am

I have sj both with and without and with is much better for me.
You need a lot of coffee in the Doser for it to work properly and unless you have a coffee shop you will not use that much coffee. The Doser is a great feature but do not think of it as a way to measure coffee, think of it as a built in holding space for your next shot.

Timer or by weighing your beans when grinding per shot is what most users do. You will get used to how much to grind and will often guess pretty close but weighing the dose or grinding by time are the best way to go.

Edit PLEASE CHECK UOT THE CBSJ MOD for the Doser, I t leaves the Doser very clean.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 12:16pm

Your grinder will annoy the crap out of you, unless you do a simple mod, which Wayne has alluded too.  

Also, stop thinking about using the doser as a way to measure coffee.  Think of the doser as a mid-point, between the burrs, and your basket.

Example of single dosing:

• Grinder is clean, doser is empty, no beans in the burrs...

• Add your beans to the grinder, for one shot.  Weigh it out.  16grams or whatever you like to use.

• Put your portafilter, with basket, under the doser.

• Turn on your grinder.

• Begin moving the doser lever, allowing very small amounts of coffee to drop into the basket with each pull.  As the coffee is ground, it will fall out the chute, and into the doser.  You moving the doser lever will continually rotate the pie shapes, and dose small amounts of coffee into the basket at a time.  This makes it very easy to add coffee to the basket evenly.

• When the beans stop grinding, turn off the grinder.

• Using a brush, completely brush out the chute of all grounds.  Turn the grinder on again, then right back off.  Brush the chute again.  Grinder on/off, brush the chute.   Now using your brush, go around the walls of the doser once or twice, and the doser vanes, and knock all the ground coffee into the pie shapes.

• Move the doser lever back and forth a bunch more times to clear the doser.

Once you get comfortable using this method, you have ZERO retention.  You put in 16grams(or whatever), you get out 16grams.  Every time.

You can use this method with a hopper full of beans as well.  Do everything the same, EXCEPT, only brush the chute of grounds once.  Dont turn the grinder on/off, because you'll just fill the chute up again.  

THIS is the only way to use a doser, at home.  NO ONE fills a doser up with coffee.  We use the grinder to grind ONE BASKETS WORTH(a maximum of like, 25grams, for a triple basket on some machines), AT A TIME, and use the doser to help evenly dose that amount of coffee into the filter basket, in an even manner.  You will get slightly different amounts of coffee each time, with each throw of the lever, but it doesn't matter.  Your only grinding enough for one shot at a time.

Video Examples of DOS and DONTS of using a Doser Grinder

This Video shows the Rocky's, both doser and doserless.  GO to 3:30, and watch from there.  This is how you DO NOT use a doser.  This is how dosers get a bad rap.  This is incorrect, and NO ONE in the USA who cares even slightly about the quality of their coffee, amatuer or pro, uses a doser like this.  This is the old school Italian way.  This WILL NOT work for you.

THIS Video shows a Compak K10 with a doser.  Also, he's single dosing.. adding only the amount of coffee needed, per shot.  You can follow this same technique using a hopper, you just dont fully clear the chute each time, AND, you need to purge that old coffee each morning.  A lot of us like single dosing, because its accurate and there is minimal waste, but not everyone likes it.  The point here, is how to use a doser.  This video shows the ideal way to use a doser.   THIS is how a doser is used.

*One note.. you'll notice he lets all the coffee grind into the doser, THEN doses.  Thats fine.  You CAN also start moving the dosing lever as soon as you start grinding.  Thats how I generally do it.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
dyno

Espresso: Salvatore The Club
Grinder: HG One/K6 Pro/Super Mini E
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 3:02pm

I made the same transition from Preciso to Mazzer Mini.  Ease of use for the Preciso is very good so it was an adjustment for sure.  

I use a Time-O-Lite darkroom timer with the Mini.  Precision is actually pretty good and like Wayne, I definitely prefer using the doser version.  Distribution into the portafilter basket is far superior using doser vs doserless - at least for the Mini.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 9:39pm

Jeff, nice vid of single dosing, I do a few things differently but basically the technique is the same.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 12:58pm

Hey Wayne just so you know, that video of single dosing the K10 isn't me.  Its Jackson(Jammin is his online handle), I haven't seen him on the boards lately.  Hes got a Speedster now.

Anyway, Me too.  Its close to what I do.  I usually start moving the doser lever, thwacking as it were, as soon as I start the grinder, instead of letting it all grind into the doser, but thats the nice thing about single dosing, its very flexible.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
Augsburg57
Augsburg57

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E Type A
Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 4:43pm

This problem, dosing at home with intermittent use, is one of the reasons why they came out with the Mini E, Type A.  The electronic Type A "doserless" works great for intermittent use.  If you've not used the grinder for a few hours or day or so, and have stale ground coffee in the burrs and the chute, just run a little coffee through the machine with the un-timed "finger" button to clear the chute, The single and double timer buttons dose very accurately to within a gram.  If I found a bargain Mini on Craigslist for home use, I'd be looking to see if it could be converted to a Type A as soon as possible.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 6:18pm

Not to try and be the bad guy, but I was seriously unimpressed with the Mini-Electronic.  It is NOTHING at all like the big mazzer-E grinders.

Clumping, massive static issues, piss poor distribution and dosing, and incredibly slow.  The grounds needed serious post grind grooming to pull even acceptable shots, and even with my best efforts, I had a hard time pulling anything great.

If the Mini-E works well for you or for someone else, im happy for you.  But my experience with that grinder, is far from acceptable, and based on my experience on a Major-E and a Robur-E, Id have to hypotyhesize, that what makes those grinders awesome in "E" mode, is missing from the Mini.

Also, While the mini isn;t as bad as the bigger grinders, using the mini with a full hopper, there is a lot of ground coffee left in the chute and in the burr chamber that needs to be purged out before a fresh session.  It leads to a lot of waste.  To be fair, most doserless grinders have retention issues, some worse then others.

Follow Your Bliss

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer mini...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275202989578)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+