Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
New Baratza Commercial Grinder
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 5:11am
Subject: Re: New Baratza Commercial Grinder

Obrother Said:

A vario for a $1000? For that much more I would expect that they redesigned/fixed their issues with the grind adjustment mechanism. I can't wait to hear it all from the hypesters saying again how another baratza grinder can do it all!

Posted June 11, 2013 link

Have you considered that a lot of "hypesters" equates to a lot of happy Vario owners? Sorry you didn't like your Vario but there's a huge crowd of people who are very happy they came along.
 View Profile Link to this post
MatP

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Macap MXP
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 8:00am

I got the opportunity to help a friend setup his baratza vario when he first got it. The grind quality was good, but I really was not convinced by the build quality and the feel of it (compared to my grinder). For example, the micro setting level was sometimes moving by itself while grinding. Also, making large adjustments back and forth were not giving consistent grinds. Another issue was the burs getting quite hot after a few shots + some adjustment.

Those flaws are easily forgotten at a $500 price point, given the good grind quality. This is why the vario is so popular. But at $1000, there are much more options, and this new baratza will be compared to a whole different set of grinders. Future will tell us how it stands!

Cheers

MatP
Obrother

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Italia pid'd,...
Grinder: vario, macap mc4 stepless,...
Drip: hario v60 glass, bonavita...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 8:52am

CoffeeRon Said:

Have you considered that a lot of "hypesters" equates to a lot of happy Vario owners? Sorry you didn't like your Vario but there's a huge crowd of people who are very happy they came along.

Posted June 12, 2013 link

This is the espresso grinder forum...so I don't think that "huge crowd" resides over here. The micro slider is almost useless and really only works marginally at the finest macros. That's if the lower burr moves at all and isn't stuck in the cheap brass bushing. Then there's the accuracy and repeatability issues....bending and flexing of the whole system.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.21795296669)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+