Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Seeking grinder recommendations
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Seeking grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
RNAV

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 6:18am
Subject: Seeking grinder recommendations

I'm looking to upgrade my grinder and feel a bit overwhelmed by what's out there.  My current setup (get ready to laugh): a Hario Skerton w/handle removed and operated with a DeWalt power screwdriver.

Machine: Expobar Office Lever (HX E61 machine).
Usage: ~6 shots per day
Budget: up to $700 (would prefer to be around $500)

My top priority is quality in the cup.  That said, here are other items that are important to me.
- I value dosing consistency -- I don't want shots to vary to 2 grams shot to shot
- I want dosing consistency to be easy.  I currently pre-weigh the beans, and don't mind continuing that.
- Whether doser/doserless, I don't want to grind into a tray and then pour into my portafilter, aka vario-w.
- I don't like wasting espresso (i.e. excessive grounds retention, having to maintain grounds in doser, etc.)
- I want a quality machine that will last me countless years to come.

Any suggestions?
 View Profile Link to this post
Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 9:54am
Subject: Re: Seeking grinder recommendations

Well there are continued hand grinder options in the OE Pharos and HG-One hand grinders, the later being a couple hundred over your budget.

Then there is just the normal Vario, which is small, very little retention, good grind quality, but will probably break after a few years. However, should be very simple fix and is under your budget.

Then there are grinders like the the Quamar M80, but they will have grind retention issues. However, they probably won't break unless you drop them or abuse them in some way.

Unless you go the hand grinder route again, I don't think you are going to get what you want.

Less water, more grounds.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 12:48pm

There are a lot of good choices within your budget. Your current grind setup is nothing to laugh at, but considering you want electric, your at a good starting point. I have doser Macap M4s. Grind retention is minimal. The doser sweep mechanism is efficient and smooth, leaving very little behind. I don't ever leave grounds in it. If you setup a timer, you can achieve automated dose consistency, and start something else while it's grinding. You could also buy a doser less model. I think dose consistency is relatively easy to achieve with a little practice. Home Barista has a nice comparison article on the Mazzer Mini class, which I think is worth reading, given your budget (unless you are open to used commercial grinders). Also, a recent thread on Rocky, Macap M4, Mazzer Mini has an excellent post by Jmanespresso comparing Macap and Mazzer grinders.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 1:53pm

RNAV Said:

I'm looking to upgrade my grinder and feel a bit overwhelmed by what's out there.  My current setup (get ready to laugh): a Hario Skerton w/handle removed and operated with a DeWalt power screwdriver.

Machine: Expobar Office Lever (HX E61 machine).
Usage: ~6 shots per day
Budget: up to $700 (would prefer to be around $500)

My top priority is quality in the cup.  That said, here are other items that are important to me.
- I value dosing consistency -- I don't want shots to vary to 2 grams shot to shot
- I want dosing consistency to be easy.  I currently pre-weigh the beans, and don't mind continuing that.
- Whether doser/doserless, I don't want to grind into a tray and then pour into my portafilter, aka vario-w.
- I don't like wasting espresso (i.e. excessive grounds retention, having to maintain grounds in doser, etc.)
- I want a quality machine that will last me countless years to come.

Any suggestions?

Posted March 23, 2013 link

No laughing here.
You are truly a Geek doing the DeWalt thing! Congratulations. :>D
Good luck choosing your grinder. There are many to choose from, in the $250-$500 area.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Seeking grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.213783979416)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+