Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The search for the holy grinder...
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The search for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
EndTwo

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 9:00am
Subject: The search for the holy grinder...

Ahoy there,
At the moment im in search for a complete first setup... Im seeking to not need to upgrade for a while so I wanna do this as good as I can the first time.

I did start a thread in the generel forum, called Taking the plunge However, it seemed not to be in general that good an idea, when I first revisited it. It has getting me some advise on both machine and grinde, but isnt as interesting as I thought (thank you guys for just mentioning that in a kind way).

It gave me some grinder advise, however it seems there never is a simple answer to a complicated question.
Ive got a budget of about a 1000$, can stretch to 1100-1200 but would prefer not to. This has to cover grinder, espressomachine and accesories like knockbox and alike... Im thinking accesories can be done for about 100$.

So Ive narrowed it down to
- Vario (safebet or)
- Macap m2d

or go a little cheaper:
- ascaso i2
- the rocky...

My needs will be making espresso with it...
What to do and why?

Thanks for the help
-Sune
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 9:51am
Subject: Re: The search for the holy grinder...

Baratza Vario easily, can't beat it for the $ period.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 8:34pm

Sune, good job getting your grinder start here.
Truthfully, all the grinders mentioned will do fine, especially for the first year. That said, the grind quality and adjustability of some grinders are better than others.
The Vario features nearly zero stale ground retention, so less waste and mess. It's espresso grind is equally as good as an $700 Mazzer SJ.
Not sure what a Vario will cost where you are. Make sure it features the ceramic burr set, not the metal. (the latter is a new Baratza/Mahlkoenig version meant for the coarser grinding ranges.)
Your grinder will take a big bite out of your budget, but it is THE essential tool in your espresso arsenal.
A Vario and a Gaggia will get you closer to espresso nirvana than a $200 grinder and a $1000 machine.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
erik82

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina 2013
Grinder: HG One 83mm #0083
Drip: Kalita Wave, Aeropress,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 12:38am

A second hand Mazzer Major if you can find one. You won't have to upgrade ever again.
EndTwo

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 9:45am

Thanks for the replies... As I cant get hold of a used mazzer and isnt that keen on used equipment (Ive got absolutely no idea of what to look for, to see if its been taken care of be previous owner(s)), it seems Vario is the answer.
-Sune
MJJ

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 6:49pm

+1 for the Vario
 You will get an excellent espresso grind from the Vario. I've owned lesser grinders and the difference has been easily noticeable. It's worth it to spend the extra money for this grinder rather than go cheaper. It won't last as long as a Mazzer but it's easy to get replacement parts for the Vario.
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 1:52am

EndTwo Said:

- the rocky...

Posted March 16, 2013 link

Definitely not the Rancilio Rocky, because even though it's capable of grinding fine enough for espresso, it's a stepped grinder with its steps being relatively wide, so you can get stuck in between two settings for proper extraction, which can be highly frustrating.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The search for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236724853516)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+