Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 183 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jmdfd415

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 7:07am
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

I am having a really hard time dialing mine in.  I am hoping someone here can help me.  I just received mine yesterday and the first thing I did was check the calibration and it seemed perfect.  I spent about an hour last night trying to dial it in and ended up with something very close to what I wanted, but the setting was 3k!  From what I am reading that seems really off.  Anything in the 1 or 2 range on the macro chokes the machine.  I am single dosing and using 18g every time.  I just tried to pull my morning shot and now 3K chokes the machine.  As soon as I was finished I checked the calibration again and it still seems fine.  I am really lost.....
 View Profile Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 7:58am

Just a few questions. how much coffee have you run thru it? are burrs seasoned or broken in yet. what coffee roast are you using? darker coffees will use a coarser grind, also have you watched the video at Baratza on how to ajust calibration.on the video you will be able to hear how the motor changes sound while you ajust it. from what you describe, sounds like your calibrated too fine.another possibility but less likely is lower burr ajuster could be stuck on ledge, if you call/e-mail Baratza they will give/send you instructions on how to get it unstuck.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 8:39am

kboom1 Said:

Just a few questions. how much coffee have you run thru it? are burrs seasoned or broken in yet. what coffee roast are you using? darker coffees will use a coarser grind, also have you watched the video at Baratza on how to ajust calibration.on the video you will be able to hear how the motor changes sound while you ajust it. from what you describe, sounds like your calibrated too fine.another possibility but less likely is lower burr ajuster could be stuck on ledge, if you call/e-mail Baratza they will give/send you instructions on how to get it unstuck.

Posted March 13, 2013 link

All good questions.
Even though these are ceramic burrs, I found mine needed about 4-5 lbs thru them to get everything settled in. That, and a thorough cleaning, including removing the lower burr.
I almost wish I could post a sticky on this thread describing (as I have about 30 times separately) the procedure of a thorough cleaning after a few lbs.
I believe it would save a whole lot of angst for new owners.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jmdfd415

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 9:51am

Thanks for the replies! I have ran maybe 10-12 shots through it so far. I am using redbird that is 5 days past roast. I did use the video and instructions on baratzas website to check calibration two times already and it was perfect and needed no adjustment. I'm not really sure where to go from here.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:25am

jmdfd415 Said:

Thanks for the replies! I have ran maybe 10-12 shots through it so far. I am using redbird that is 5 days past roast. I did use the video and instructions on baratzas website to check calibration two times already and it was perfect and needed no adjustment. I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Posted March 13, 2013 link

Call Baratza. They will get it sorted out.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 1:15pm

greekespresso Said:

I have now a slightly better understanding but I am still hoping that someone will find the opportunity to support the above text with pictures (Baratza maby?).

Posted March 12, 2013 link

Yes, what I said.. More pics to follow.

Pictured below is are the Micro arm on the left, Macro arm on the right., joined together by the stainless steel (cam rod).

The associated lower burr housing chamber & its base are left out to show more clarity here.

CraigA: Pict0028.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 1:16pm

Stainless steel  cam rod connecting the Micro & Macro arms.

Note the spot where the cam lobe area is & this is where the range of grind adjustment happens through the different settings of the Macro & Micro arms.

CraigA: Pict0025.jpg
(Click for larger image)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

The small wear circle on the scalloped (brass wedge shaped slider) area is were the end of the lower burr shaft assembly rides on.

CraigA: Pict0026.jpg
(Click for larger image)

CraigA
CraigA

How the lower burr shaft assembly sits in relation to the other parts.

Arrow #1 is pointing to the primary grinds range adjustment 2.5 mm hex cap bolt.
This resides under the rectangular rubber cover just behind the grinds discharge chute/snout.

You can set your Vario biased more towards espresso fineness by unlocking the 2.5 mm hex bolt & sliding slightly away from you (facing the grinder).
My Vario has the slider all the way forward as coarse as it will go (toward the operator), & I can grind from espresso all the way to French press.

Arrow #2 is pointing to where the secondary fine tuning grinds range adjustment 2 mm hex screw touches. You could see in one of the previous pics the damage the screw can do to the frame if improperly tightened too fine!
This is acessed in front of the rectangular rubber cover, through a small access hole.

CraigA: Pict0027.1.JPG
(Click for larger image)

CraigA
CraigA

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 1:17pm

showing page 183 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.401004076004)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+