Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza grinder warranty issue
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 2:09pm
Subject: Re: Baratza grinder warranty issue

FWIW, Gluing down the ring is easy, and there are detailed pdf's online.
I believe for the past while they have glued those suckers down.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wideawake
wideawake
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: KVDW Speedster
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30
Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013, 10:00am

I had some problems with my 13 month old Vario W.  I called Baratza and they were very accommodating.  They suggested that they send me out a new refurbished model and that I return my "broken" model with their prepaid UPS tag that came w/the refurbished model.  The swap was very easy.  One grinder out of the box, the old grinder in the box and away it goes.  Now, as to your question.  I can tell you that when the "refurbished" grinder came in, it was shipped looking like it was brand new.  I couldn't tell, based on a visual inspection of the box or the grinder, that it was refurbished.  As was mentioned on another post, you have to figure that the grinder was returned for a problem, fixed, QC'd and sent out.  Again, when it was sent out, it was boxed and packaged as if it were new.  Now here's the rub w/my experience...when my grinder arrived it worked flawlessly; however, I had a problem w/the weight based calibration after about 2 months of use on this grinder.  I tried recalibrating (per their instructions) several times but the grind amount was WAY off.  So...after several emails to an ultra responsive Baratza tech (no kidding, good customer service), they have decided to send me ANOTHER refurbished grinder.  Ultimately, I don't know if I just got two bad grinders or if all of them are bad. I doubt the latter.  I'm sure my replacement grinder was checked out and was working fine when they sent it out.  Some part inside probably went haywire during use and needs replacement.  Bottom line: I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that it is refurbished.  Hope this helps.
 View Profile Link to this post
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 7:45am

My recommendation is to work with Baratza and ask for a new one. But a word of warning, I think the design of the Preciso is flawed. I bought one about a year ago and it had a problem: it would need to be adjusted to finer and finer settings to maintain the same grind fineness, until I ran out of settings and it couldn't go any finer. So three months in, I contact Baratza and they cross-ship a replacement (major kudos for customer service). They said they changed the way they do calibrations.

Same thing happens to the second grinder. After another three months, they cross-ship another new grinder. Again, kudos for being willing to do that. Said this time that they started gluing down the base ring.

Guess what? Same thing happened to the third grinder. Three grinders, all cross shipped from Baratza three months apart each (so 9 months total) all failures of the same issue, but each one supposedly had the issues addressed (calibration, gluing down the ring, etc.).

So I work with the person from whom I bought the grinder initially, he's a reseller, so he goes to bat for me, gets me a refund for the original price, I return the now-third grinder, and I get a Mazzer Mini-E.

Three months with the Mazzer and I couldn't be happier. Yes I know it's three times the cost of the Preciso, but it's like graduating from a Corolla to a BMW/Audi/Mercedes. The build quality alone easily justifies the cost (it's a tank, and it looks and feels like their professional models in use in many high end espresso shops). But that's not the selling point. The grind fineness and consistency have improved dramatically, even in comparison to when the Preciso was working properly. The best shots I was ever able to pull from my Preciso is probably equal to the worst shot I can pull from the Mini. And I'm just using a Silvia PID.

I am a true believer now when certain sites and companies say the grinder can make as much, or more, of a difference than the espresso machine. My capps and lattes far surpass any drink from the "big chains" and fall just barely short of the best espresso houses in my area (Intelligentsia, Tomo, Luxxe, etc.).
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.19531583786)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+