Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza grinder warranty issue
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
kayes
kayes
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 7:27am
Subject: Baratza grinder warranty issue

Hi all, just requesting some insite. I am having a issue with my Preciso. I contacted Baratza costomer service and they first asked if I would fix it myself. Some base ring needs to be glued down. This particular issue I am not comfortable with fixing myself. I asked for a replacement grinder as per my warranty.

What I am needing insite on is their offer of a 'rebuilt' replacement. To me this is unacceptable. Most companies, in my experience, supply a new replacement machine.

What do you guys think? Is this generally an acceptable practice in the grinder industry? Am I being too picky or demanding?

Thanks for your help.

My name is Kayes, and I'm obsessed with coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 7:45am
Subject: Re: Baratza grinder warranty issue

with some of the quality issues with Baratza in the past I think you would prefer a rebuilt one. being rebuilt you know evrything is inspected and up to par. I had my vario replaced last year and the rebuilt replacement works way better than the new one ever did. the one thing they do I dont agree with is with the replacement it voids original warrenty and is replaced with I think a 90 day warrenty on the refurbished.
 View Profile Link to this post
kayes
kayes

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 8:02am

I guess I've never thought of it that way. Thanks for that.

CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 8:08am

How old is your grinder? I could swear the Preciso now has locked down base starting like a year ago or last summer? I know the one I got replaced in Oct had that, as well as the new gear box (way quieter and smoother then the previous one). I busted my previous one, had taken it apart before but one time I forgot the knob and busted it, so got a replacement one as didn't have time to fix myself (had the new gearbox to install as well but never got around to it so shipped it back with the busted one).
tdifraia

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 9:02am

The reason I purchased my Vario was because of the reputation Baratza has for excellent customer service. I had my Vario since January 2013 and it was performing as advertised. Yesterday I began having problems and called Quinn at Baratza customer service. He walked me thru some troubleshooting and after 10 minutes figured out what was wrong. He asked me to email him my receipt and he is sending me a new one. After I get the new one, I will send my damaged one to him and he is providing me with the prepaid postage label. Now that is why I purchased my Baratza Vario. How can you beat that. If you buy a Baratza it really is guaranteed.
CMIN

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 9:54am

tdifraia Said:

The reason I purchased my Vario was because of the reputation Baratza has for excellent customer service. I had my Vario since January 2013 and it was performing as advertised. Yesterday I began having problems and called Quinn at Baratza customer service. He walked me thru some troubleshooting and after 10 minutes figured out what was wrong. He asked me to email him my receipt and he is sending me a new one. After I get the new one, I will send my damaged one to him and he is providing me with the prepaid postage label. Now that is why I purchased my Baratza Vario. How can you beat that. If you buy a Baratza it really is guaranteed.

Posted March 6, 2013 link

just curious but what was wrong?
kayes
kayes

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 11:54am

They said the base ring had come unattached from the base inside bellow the burr unit. I was experiencing very inconsistent grind consistency with loads of fines.

kayes
kayes

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 11:56am

We baught ours online from The Green Beanery in Toronto in August of 2012

tdifraia

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM67
Drip: Bunn
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 3:09pm

I began chasing my grind. He said that the model I owned was a batch that had a set of guides that held the top burr in place was too small and was causing the burrs to heat up after pulling multiple shots. They have since replaced this batch with larger guides.

CMIN Said:

just curious but what was wrong?

Gig103

Drip: French press!
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 12:31pm

kayes Said:

Hi all, just requesting some insite. I am having a issue with my Preciso. I contacted Baratza costomer service and they first asked if I would fix it myself. Some base ring needs to be glued down. This particular issue I am not comfortable with fixing myself. I asked for a replacement grinder as per my warranty.

What I am needing insite on is their offer of a 'rebuilt' replacement. To me this is unacceptable. Most companies, in my experience, supply a new replacement machine.

What do you guys think? Is this generally an acceptable practice in the grinder industry? Am I being too picky or demanding?

Thanks for your help.

The warranty covers new units within 30 days, and refurbished units from days 31-365. It isn't uncommon from a lot of other manufacturers. I agree I wouldn't want to take it apart and glue it myself, and when I had issues Baratza paid shipping for the replacement(s) and the return of the old.

Ultimately I upgraded to a Vario and it's better built.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285186052322)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+