Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Just bought a Super Jolly. What did I get myself into?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Just bought a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 6:43pm
Subject: Just bought a Super Jolly. What did I get myself into?

So a guy on CL just sold me an old timer-less SJ for $120. It's old, smells a little gross, and is painted battleship grey. But this thing looks indestructible. We plugged it in to test it outside a thrift store because the guy wanted to meet in public. It wouldn't start up and he admited it hadn't been turned on in six months or more. He literally banged the poor thing on the pavement to try and get it to start but to no avail. While he went to his truck to get a wrench, I kept nudging the burr and flicking the switch until it finally came to life! I threw in some stale coffee I brought along, adjusted it, and a wonderfully fluffy grind came out. So I guess my main questions are 1) How do I clean it and do I need special tools or chemicals? 2) How do I tell if I need to order new burrs? 3) Did I get a good deal? Thanks!

Also, the adjustment ring seems to be missing the holes for the set screws. Is mine super old?
 View Profile Link to this post
johnny4lsu
johnny4lsu
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Clever, Chemex, v60, kalita...
Roaster: Huky 500
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 9:08pm
Subject: Re: Just bought a Super Jolly. What did I get myself into?

Can you post a pic so I can compare it to mine?

1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.
erik82

Espresso: Olympia Cremina 2013
Grinder: HG One 83mm #0083
Drip: Kalita Wave, Aeropress,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 12:29am

The Super Jolly is really easy to disassemble. Just take it apart and clean it out but take care with using water. Just unscrew the adjustment collar and unscrew the burrs and you'll be ready to clean. You can also take the plastic sightglass out of the hopper and remove the vanes by unscrewing the top screw and turning the knob until it comes loose. You can use Urnex Wipz and a copper brush to remove the old coffee which works nicely.

Getting new burrs on an old grinder is always a good idea because they only cost like 40 dollar and last the rest of your life. Just run a pound or 3-4 of beans through it to season them a bit. Those Mazzers are build like tanks and once you cleaned it out it will probably outlive you.

Just watch out with screwing the adjustment collar back on that you don't cross thread it.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 3:41am

The adjustment collar is kind of hard to screw in some positions, but still works. I took the bottom burr carrier out and cleaned tons of caked on gunk and descaled the carrier and both of the burrs (which are visibly worn). I'm only 30 mins away from SCG and they have the burrs in stock, but money's getting a little tight right now and I'm wondering if I should throw the new burrs in there and keep it, or just flip it as is. I guess my other issue is that the thing is LOUD, compared to my Vario, and already my roommates are complaining that it may be TOO loud. This is definitely something I have to take into consideration. Also, I'm trying to make it practical as a doserless grinder, using a soda bottle. I'm just trying to figure out if it's a worthwhile investment when I have the Vario-W already.
erik82

Espresso: Olympia Cremina 2013
Grinder: HG One 83mm #0083
Drip: Kalita Wave, Aeropress,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 4:04am

Making a dosered Super Jolly doserless is going to be a pain in the ass. It will spray and be static. Better to keep the doser on and put a tamper on top to singledose. That worked best for me. The Vario will stop working in a couple of years where the SJ will be there for you the rest of your life and the grind quality is really nice. Yes it's loud but every good grinder will be loud unless you're willing to spend a lot on a MK K30 Vario or a HG One.

Being another grinder when the Vario stops working is going to cost you more. You could try to put a rubber mat under the Super Jolly to see if it helps to dampen the noise. On the other hand the noise is only for around 20 seconds.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 5:37am

I did a little looking last night and there are tons of post on how to certain parts of a tear down but no one "how to that" covers everything from removing the lower carrier to a complete tear down of the doser. You can also get some good tips by reading Randy's Mazzer mod page. Sounds to me like new burrs and maybe a new start cap would be in order. I to agree the doserless is a PTA. Tame the doser and learn to love it or at least live with it.

P.S. The start cap can hurt you. If your not comfortable using a resister and needle nose pliers to discharge the old one before removing it get a friends who is. Obviously unplug the thing before you do anything besides grind with it.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 7:05am

Hey Jwoody,

Thanks for the advice. I do know enough that caps are pretty scary stuff, since I used to work with computers a lot. Taking apart CRTs carries the same caveat.

My friend is currently modding a 2L soda bottle to be my doserless funnel. We'll see how it goes, but I don't have time to disassemble and de-gunk the doser. What I find weird is that NO ONE I have seen online has attached a cheap little gram scale to the PF fork on an SJ to make it so you can weigh out your doses. Is there something I'm missing here? The grinder has a slight rattly sound to it when it starts, though the bearing and shaft seem completely solid. I'm thinking of heading down to SCG and picking up some new burrs today, as the old ones definitely look worn down. The main reason I was interested in the grinder is because I'm tired of having to chase grind settings all around the Vario's notches and want something that isn't going to heavily drift. Also, the SJ seems to be the thing to have and $120 doesn't seem like a bad deal for one that runs.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 7:34am

Markarian Said:

Taking apart CRTs carries the same caveat.

Posted March 6, 2013 link

Years ago one of my guys hired a kid one time that had just taken his A+ plus exam. On my way through their work area I see this kid adjusting a CRT with ground strap on his wrist. He dismissed my input that "you really don't want to be doing that with a grounding strap on". Needless to say a monitor or two later he got is tallywacker knocked in the dirt, lesson learned. :)

Anywho If you put a digital timer that will do .1 of sec on your Jolly you will find it is so consistent you only need to weigh your shots while your dialing in a new batch or trying to work out some flaw or the other. My Major is setup with a bypass on the machine switch, digital dark room timer and a foot switch. I stomp on the foot switch the grinder runs for 5.1 seconds viola an 18g does of fluffy lovelyness. It is worth mentioning that I package and thaw enough beans for only one day so i don't chase my grinder once it is dialed in for a batch. I had a Vario added the Major wound up selling the Vario.

I have tried the soda bottle, a pyrex lab funnel and home made spout or two. In the end the doser with a clean sweep mod and Andy's schnozolla is were i landed but your preference might be different. Check out the link at the bottom of Randy's page to the modded doser on that blue Major. It is about an awesome piece of work.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 2:56pm

Best way to use a SJ is with the doser. If you are happy with your "mod" sell me your old doser, I have a SJ that was converted to doserless and I want the doser to put back on it.

As said, a digital timer to .1sec will be great. Grind into the doser the just give the lever a few flicks until it all is in the PF.

Adding a scale to a SJ, well it IS a commercial grinder designed for a compleetly different kind of service than you do in the home. I have tried several different ways to run them and for me, a digital timer into the doser is best. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 4:06pm

crap forgot the link to Randy's page on modifying a the Mazzer.

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Just bought a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270056009293)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+