Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Kicking around buying a new espresso grinder...let's discuss this proposition
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Kicking around...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 7:24am
Subject: Re: I'm Kicking my new espresso grinder around

shakin_jake Said:

~~~if you go back through my replies to this thread I mentioned 'wanting to see what was over the hill'

Posted March 13, 2013 link

FWIW, I read that . . . I just don't understand the "lateral" move.  Believe me, I know what' it's like to want to UPgrade, but with your obvious love for the MD-50, it just seemed to me that this was more of a lateral move . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
shakin_jake
shakin_jake
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Futurmat Rimini HX One...
Grinder: Rancilio MD 50
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nada
Roaster: Hot Top B
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 10:11pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

FWIW, I read that . . . I just don't understand the "lateral" move.  Believe me, I know what' it's like to want to UPgrade, but with your obvious love for the MD-50, it just seemed to me that this was more of a lateral move . . . .

Posted March 14, 2013 link

~~~Well, I gotta say, I'm really diggin the Mazzer SJ.  I tightened up the burrs a little more and it's pulling ristretto with my usual limp wrist tamp (probably 15 lbs. tamp)

So far, I removed the coffee outlet guard in the doser (I promise to keep my fingers outta the chute=:-)

I also removed the fork for the PF to sit in...I found that absolutely useless

To say I wasn't totally happy with it, I'd be lying.  It does everything I want a grinder to do

You're right though, it wasn't a real upgrade from a performance standpoint (both use 64mm flat burrs), but aesthetcally speaking, it's a work of art in my eyes and a huge upgrade from the more utilitarian design of the MD-50.  The MD-50 is square and round, the Mazzer SJ actually has some compound curves, like my Lambretta TV2

My wants and desires in how my espresso tastes to me...I'm a rather simple man and easy to please.  I roast most everything to FC + (using my Hot Top B), single origin, my Quick Mill Vetrano does everything a milk drink aficionado wants an HX machine to do but if I was to upgrade my HX espresso machine, the way I feel now, that vote would go to the Faema-E61 Legend One Group.  I like the old school look of that machine, yet an 11 litre boiler would be overkill in my home, pulling shots for me and an occasional friend.  Still, if I had stupid money, I'd buy one in a heatbeat, and be completely happy having the Mazzer Super Jolley handling the portafilter side of things

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 7:31am

shakin_jake Said:

. . . but if I was to upgrade my HX espresso machine, the way I feel now, that vote would go to the Faema-E61 Legend One Group.  I like the old school look of that machine, yet an 11 litre boiler would be overkill in my home, pulling shots for me and an occasional friend.  Still, if I had stupid money, I'd buy one in a heatbeat, and be completely happy having the Mazzer Super Jolley handling the portafilter side of things.

Posted March 14, 2013 link

Know the feeling, Jake . . . I've got an Elektra "Sixties" T1 with a 6.0L boiler.  It might seem like overkill, but -- between wife, daughters, and myself, I end up pulling between 4-6 shots every morning -- more if the girls have friends spending the night!  As for the grinder, my Mahlkönig K30 Vario does a great job, and does it quickly!  I'm a happy camper . . . with zero need/desire to upgrade, ever.  BUT -- if I found a pile of cash just sitting there calling my name -- then I'd buy either a Faema Legend or one of Kees van der Westen's two-group Mirage machines, but which one?
Decisions, decisions . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
shakin_jake
shakin_jake
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Futurmat Rimini HX One...
Grinder: Rancilio MD 50
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nada
Roaster: Hot Top B
Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 1:43am
Subject: I'm feeling pretty good about things

The KVD Westen machines are in a whole 'nother class.  Very, very nice!...they make the LM GS machines look rather pedestrian=:-)

yeah so after coming back down to earth<LOL>...I'm concentrating on the basics, clean grinder, clean espresso machine, fresh roasted coffee...the shots are coming out rather tastee=:-)

Just replaced the group gasket on my Vetrano...it's been just over a year, it's been leaking though tightening up with a twist making sure the PF is secure, has taken care of it, but it was time and I had a few spare gaskets...

So I also cleaned the screen that fits in the middle of the group gasket nestled up in the group, and pulled the dispersion screw, the big brass screw, soaked all of it in Joe Glo/Hot Water...10 minutes, rinsed well, brushed the brass screw with a brass brush in addition to soaking it in the uber cleaning solution.  At the moment, this is the best it can get.  Everything (including a soak of the PF and coffee basket in joe glo) is squeaky clean, new burrs (and a new burr grinder=:-), I have 3 day old Sumatra Mendheling Organic roasted to FC+ I'm grinding, pulling shots, drinking...it can't get much better than this...

~Life is beautiful~

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Kicking around...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255167007446)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+