Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
New Electronic mazzer Mini A
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New Electronic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:33am
Subject: New Electronic mazzer Mini A

(Hi
I bought the new Electronic Mazzer mini A (Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)) and am finding something strange.
I have the been reservoir full,so when I select the double shot, I get say ( 13g) cause I weight it. Now if I hit it again would you not expect to get a total of 26g? well I don't, I got about 3 grams less.

anyone had this issue before? Is this normal? This is a new grinder.
Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
OttoMatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 11:25am
Subject: Re: New Electronic mazzer Mini A

I have the Mini B model, but the idea is the same:  it's timing the grind, assuming that the same amount of time will result in the same mass of grinds.  I kinda gave up on using the timer that way.  I also got inconsistent amounts coming out for each press of the button, so I just measure it with a scale every time if I want to be sure I'm getting what I want.
Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 12:06pm

oh ok, that kind of sucks, what is the point of it then? We spent all that money for nothing.
OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 7:35pm

Yeah, I know.  I had planned on using the timers, but it's inconsistent.  Obviously, every time you change something -- like beans, or the coarseness of the grind -- the timers need to be readjusted again.  I should have realized that and therefore known that the timers would be somewhat worthless.  I've been weighing every dose for a couple months now, and my shots have been very good.  One of these days, I'll grow tired of the scale and I'll see where I can get without being so anal and precise.  If things deteriorate, I'll go back to the scale...  Good luck to you!
DavecUK

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:19pm

(

Italo2275 Said:

Hi
I bought the new Electronic Mazzer mini A (Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)) and am finding something strange.
I have the been reservoir full,so when I select the double shot, I get say ( 13g) cause I weight it. Now if I hit it again would you not expect to get a total of 26g? well I don't, I got about 3 grams less.

anyone had this issue before? Is this normal? This is a new grinder.
Thanks

Posted March 4, 2013 link

Yes it's normal. For the first grind, you have more beans in the hopper, for the second you have less, this will affect the rate of grind. In addition stuff could back up behind the antistatic grid and come out with the following grind.

You really should do this..... http://coffeetimex.wikidot.com/mazzer-mini-e-modifications I kept my grid for a while, but honestly can't remember where it is now, because it's never going back into the grinder.

The other bit of advice I can give is, stop using a scale (it's a very anal thing to do), eyeball the coffee in the portafilter, you will learn to get much more consistent, less hassle and better shots. You might also then try dosing less, many people dose far to much and extract to little for the amount of coffee, changes the taste of the coffee no end! and is the cause of a lot of sub optimal and possibly quite harsh tasting shots. You have a great grinder, enjoy it, I stopped worrying about mine years ago. Just always ensure you use genuine Mazzer burrs in it, makes a huge difference.

Dave
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New Electronic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.209395885468)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+