Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Capresso Infinity - stuck burr
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Capresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
cclavey

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Pour Over
Posted Fri Dec 19, 2008, 3:43pm
Subject: Capresso Infinity - stuck burr

Hi all,

I have the Capresso Infinity and I took the top burr out to clean it as I usually do.  However, when I put it back in, the burr somehow got stuck: it won't come back out (or move at all) and the bean container won't lock into the base as it is supposed to.  Can anyone help with this?  I have tried google-ing the issue, but I can't find anything.

I really appreciate any and all help.  Time is short... I am dying without coffee...
 View Profile Link to this post
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Fri Dec 19, 2008, 4:26pm
Subject: Re: Capresso Infinity - stuck burr

I found that when this happened you could set the hopper on like you normally would & then turn it clockwise until it drops in & engages with the slots. Once it does then turn it back to the normal install position  & the burr should lift out again.

John
cclavey

Posted Fri Dec 19, 2008, 4:39pm

Oh thank you so much!  I know it is a bad grinder and I am looking to replace... but $$$

Thanks again!
The_Shadow

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: NS Aurelia 2 group, 1977...
Grinder: NS MDX, NS Grinta, KyM...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: BUNN VPR/LPG Combo
Roaster: Leave That To The Pros
Posted Sat Dec 20, 2008, 2:03pm

I sure wouldn't call the Infinity a bad grinder. Maybe not espresso perfect, but is a pretty good grinder. Much, much better than the piece of crap it's constantly compared to, the Maestro line. People think that because the Maestros have twice the marked settings as the Infinity it's better, but who cares once it's stepless anyway? My only gripe with the Infinity is that it does retain some grounds because of the carousel design, but other than that I get pretty good pulls with it. It's not my primary grinder, but still gets used every now and then. I even thought about taking the burr set out of it and making a hand grinder out of it all with bearing supports, super fine burr carrier threads, etc. Later!
cclavey

Posted Sat Dec 20, 2008, 2:53pm

Thanks again -  I am drinking a pretty decent shot made with it right now.  It worked great for pour over and press...and I am pleased so far with how it is working on my new toy (the gaggia).
davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta,...
Grinder: Compak K-6, Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Saeco Renaissance
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Dec 20, 2008, 3:50pm

The_Shadow Said:

Much, much better than the piece of crap it's constantly compared to, the Maestro line.

Posted December 20, 2008 link

Sounds like you don't know much about the Maestro, it has a number of things going for it that make it at least as good a grinder as the Infinity. 40 steps vs 17 doesn't really make a difference unless you are trying to grind espresso but neither grinder is of much use there. There are  things you haven't mentioned, like the lower RPM and higher torque in the Maestro, or that the most recent version of the upper burr carrier is much better than Capresso's (and they certainly don't get stuck like the OP's). I'd have a hard time saying that either grinder is "much, much" better, but I'd have an even harder time saying that the Capresso is better at all. OTOH, I've also tried dealing with the service departments of both companies, Baratza's service is much, much, much better than Capresso's.
The_Shadow

Posted Sun Dec 21, 2008, 5:49am

Dude, how could the Maestro have lower RPMs? The Infinity spins barely over 400. I also think Baratza exaggerates torque as well. They say the Virtuoso has 480 watts. Doubt it...... The 40 step thing is crap as well. Who cares how many marked settings a grinder has? I made my Infinity stepless so it has an infinite amount of grind settings. Not 17 or whatever. The Maestro doesn't have more circular movement in the burr carrier, just closer detents for the settings. Do people realize they can simply hold a part (collar/hopper) between settings and that doubles the possibilities? Get a life. Later!
davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta,...
Grinder: Compak K-6, Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Saeco Renaissance
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 21, 2008, 9:57am

My old Infinity had a rated RPM of around 600 IIRC, when I read your statement of 420 RPM I decided to look up the info on both grinders. Evidently the Infinity has been upgraded in the last couple years because the current models do indeed claim to spin at 420 RPM, slightly better than the 450 RPM of the Maestro and Maestro Plus. I did not include the Virtuoso when I looked up the specs because it would be ridiculous to claim that the Infinity is a competitor at that level (and considering the difference in price it shouldn't be expected to be a competitor), I'd consider it a fair statement to say that the Maestro competes with the plastic Infinity and the Maestro Plus competes with the metal Infinity.
As far as wattage is concerned, the Maestro and Maestro Plus have been using 240w motors since their last redesign, this is a huge improvement over the 100w motors that Capresso is still using (maybe their next redesign will close the gap a bit).

The_Shadow Said:

The Maestro doesn't have more circular movement in the burr carrier, just closer detents for the settings.

Posted December 21, 2008 link

Yeah, that's kinda the point of having more settings, put 'em closer together for more control. One detente on the Capresso is equal to 2 to 2.5 on the Maestro. If these grinders were to be used for espresso it might matter but IMHO they both fall far short (you'd probably need 100 settings over the same range for either of them), both in control over coarseness and consistency. Control we've covered, consistency is another issue, I haven't seen anything about Capresso redesigning their burr carrier in the last couple years, the two brands used to be pretty equal in this respect but the Maestro has been upgraded (3 point carrier instead of the old 2). I'm sure your stepless mod is very nice but without a major improvement in the burr carrier (and more power) the Infinity will never be a good espresso grinder and it is probably unnecessary for drip or FP.
I did the Infinity a disservice by making my statement without being aware of the improvement in their gear reduction. OTOH, I suspect it's been at least 2-3 years since you looked at a Maestro because your comments can't be based on the current models which are head and shoulders above Capresso's current products.

BTW, I just confirmed my Maestro's wattage with an ammeter, it's within a reasonable manufacturing tolerance when tested @ 117v.
The_Shadow

Posted Mon Dec 22, 2008, 7:28am

Well said....... better than arguing back/forth.

I had no idea what the wattage rating was on the Maestro, but was simply stating I can't see how they can claim an output of 480 watts on the Virtuoso, regardless of it being DC. A conical burr design simply doesn't need nearly that much torque to get the job done.

By what I've read the Infinity is indeed as good as the Virtuoso on grind consistency, but surely not build quality. Only thing I don't like about the Infinity is the grounds retention. I'm working on a mod to help the carousel sweep the grounds better and retain much less. It's not my daily grinder anyway, but is still a great grinder, especially for the $$$. Later!
sportychop

Espresso: Brewtus II, Gaggia Classic,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Nuova Simonelli...
Posted Mon Dec 22, 2008, 9:13am

The_Shadow Said:

I sure wouldn't call the Infinity a bad grinder. Maybe not espresso perfect, but is a pretty good grinder. Much, much better than the piece of crap it's constantly compared to, the Maestro line. People think that because the Maestros have twice the marked settings as the Infinity it's better, but who cares once it's stepless anyway? My only gripe with the Infinity is that it does retain some grounds because of the carousel design, but other than that I get pretty good pulls with it. It's not my primary grinder, but still gets used every now and then. I even thought about taking the burr set out of it and making a hand grinder out of it all with bearing supports, super fine burr carrier threads, etc. Later!

Posted December 20, 2008 link

Can you elaborate on the "Once its stepless" portion of your comment? Is this some mod you have done, and if so, do you have details, and how successful was it?
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Capresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291766881943)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+