Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Kicking around buying a new espresso grinder...let's discuss this proposition
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Kicking around...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 10:14am
Subject: Re: Kicking around buying a new espresso grinder...let's discuss this prop

Large
 Conical
   Stepless

As for the grinder let me recommend...

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 10:29am
Subject: Re: Kicking around buying a new espresso grinder...let's discuss this prop

An appearance from our OP would be appropriate at this point.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
TonyVan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 12:52pm
Subject: Re: I'm Kicking my new espresso grinder around ...let's discuss

shakin_jake Said:

...I'm not looking for nerved up replies (get this, no get that).  Instead, I'm just looking for some casula banter ...  let's keep the price of new at or under $700.

Posted March 1, 2013 link

Hey there Jake - it's Saturday now so I'm feeling a little mellower than before and maybe can literally handle the casula banter thing. And hey - don't worry - no way I'm gonna start talkin' on folks to go buy stuff just 'cause I think maybe it's good. Maybe that thing might be good (you know) just for me and it's maybe (when you think about it) not so great to lay that on other people.  Judging other people or even judging stuff is judgmental, you know, and (if you think) someone could actually take basically what you said and then think it's really meaningful (when maybe it isn't really that meaningful, really) and then take what I said too much like an actual fact and get in a car and actually go and buy something. Now it's really watch-out time basically, because just think - what happens if what they buy turns out to be really bad (or basically just really bad for THEM) and now it's going to all actually be literally on my head that they went out, you know, and bought something bad (or bad for THEM, like I just said, maybe not really bad in ITSELF). Man, I want to just HELP people, but not get into the literal guilt trip thing worrying if their mileage could, you know, literally vary.  After all, my Mom told me once "Everybody's different.  Always remember that."  So I did.  I dunno - you think so too maybe?  Just askin' - hope that's ok.

But I digress.

I read what you were asking really carefully, and thought about how to help without going, you know, TOO far or being judgmental or just selfish about liking just the things that I currently like right now.  Like I was just saying, it can get your head into a bad place and maybe it basically isn't that helpful if all I do is help you waste your money because what I said to do is actually a bad idea, even if the badness is just for YOU and literally not really that bad, you know, for me or OTHER people.  And if I said to literally go buy something made by one specific guy, how would that make other guys who make stuff feel?  Whoo!  Not good at all!  Making expressos is basically hard enough, you know, without all that negativity and bad karma coming back to haunt you trying to make a good coffee and such, and now I'm getting spritzes every time and my PID breaks and now water leaks into the brain box (or some such!) and the grinder (you know, the kind that was good for me and so I said for you to buy one too but it turns out was actually bad for YOU!) jams or the start-up capacitor fuses or leaks or literally goes south.  No way I'm basically getting into that sh** - so thanks for, like, reminding us about that being maybe can happen when you said at the beginning (I mean when you did the starting-off question) about literally not getting into that.  The casula banter thing is what we need more of on these forums, not literally the judgmentalness of - like you say, figuratively "get this no get that."  Basically too much of that, you know, already and just like, literally exchanging thoughts is what we're needing more of here.

So with all those spirits in my mind, maybe one thing you could just think about with a new grinder, like you were asking at the beginning, is checking out some really nice grinders that cost $700.  Then, if you basically want to save a buck or two, I think there are some that cost $699 or $698. Those might be nice too.  But like I said, I'm not really an expert so don't, like literally, take all this to the bank.  Like my Mom also told me, it's a fine line between advice meaning to help and, you know, bad karma, and I have enough trouble with spritzes already.  

Hey - good luck man - hope this turns out really great for you.
 View Profile Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 1:58pm

TonyVan Said:

...is checking out some really nice grinders that cost $700.  Then, if you basically want to save a buck or two, I think there are some that cost $699 or $698. Those might be nice too.

Posted March 2, 2013 link

Great post. Especially like this part.

EDIT: read a couple more times....I think these deserve an honorable mention as well.

TonyVan Said:

Man, I want to just HELP people, but not get into the literal guilt trip thing worrying if their mileage could, you know, literally vary.

and

TonyVan Said:

But I digress.

Genius.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 2:45pm

IMAWriter Said:

An appearance from our OP would be appropriate at this point.

Why? Why should this thread be any different?  ;^)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 2:54pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Why? Why should this thread be any different?  ;^)

Well, I was hoping this one might be different.
TonyV, I'll get back to you when I stop laughing. ">D
I'd hope NEVER to run into you in a dark alley. You are an ASSASSIN, my man.

OK.
Jake, we're here to help.
Really.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES920xl
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: Pour over: Melita Ceramic
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 1:06pm

TonyVan Said:

But I digress. .

Crikey! I thought I'd just found a lost page of Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES920xl
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: Pour over: Melita Ceramic
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 1:09pm

Oh and that other part?
HG One

but don't take my word for it; there's a(two, no-wait-three) complete demonstration(s) of everything you said you didn't want over at HB - just in case you can't help yourself
oh...
and,
it'll cost you more too...
but....
it's all good - right?
right.
shakin_jake
shakin_jake

Espresso: Futurmat Rimini HX One...
Grinder: Rancilio MD 50
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nada
Roaster: Hot Top B
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:35pm

First of all...I haven't been ignoring this thread.  Whatever the problem is, I have not been able to sign in completely.  The forum shows me signed in as an active user but I have not been able to post.  I've been sent 3 new passwords & to no avail, when I try to access this site using my PC, I can't get on, so for all of you that yucked it up or made referrence to others not gettign back to their threads...perhaps the board has a bug and the others gave up trying to post.  Just a thought

The only reason I'm on here now, I'm using Mrs. Jake's laptop

So, some of you have asked me sensible questions.  Others, not so much

I was asked what I don't like about my MD-50 Ranchillio.  Compared to some of the newer grinders, I can tell you it doesn't break down.  I hear a lot of users say what good customer service Baratza has, but tell me, if you have a problem with the grinder, what's so good about that?, because the company addresses your issue?  My MD-50 is built like a tank and has never let me down.  So if I had a complaint with it, it'd have to be it's so darn reliable?

I don't know, maybe you can say I just want to see what is over the hill

Okay, this has been about enough pecking I want to do using the Mrs. teeny key board.  I'm going to cut it here.  Perhaps the CG techs will look into my problem, why your forum/board shows I'm signed in yet I can't access any of the posting features plus it says I'm not signed in

One more thing.  I have sent an email to info @ and support @ cg.com...about 24 hours ago.  I've yet to get a reply.  If one of the mods wants to contact me through my inbox, that info is listed for you to use

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:53pm

shakin_jake Said:

I was asked what I don't like about my MD-50 Ranchillio.  Compared to some of the newer grinders, I can tell you it doesn't break down.  I hear a lot of users say what good customer service Baratza has, but tell me, if you have a problem with the grinder, what's so good about that?, because the company addresses your issue?  My MD-50 is built like a tank and has never let me down.  So if I had a complaint with it, it'd have to be it's so darn reliable?

Posted March 4, 2013 link

I dunno; I never had a problem with my Baratza . . . or my Mahlkönig, for that matter.  As long as the MD-50 is a) stepless, and b) continues to work, I'm even more confused that I was before!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Kicking around...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.395452976227)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+