Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
New Compak K3 Touch grinder not working
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New Compak K3...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
technicka

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V2
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster,...
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 11:17am
Subject: New Compak K3 Touch grinder not working

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and I've been browsing around and I'm really excited to get involved. I've been doing a lot of drip and pour over coffee, and I'm just getting into home espresso. I purchased a new Compak K3 Touch.

As I was turning the collar (with motor running) towards the finer settings, the burrs would lock up... I could turn it back to coarse and then it would be alright, but I have to say I was surprised at how quickly the burrs would lock up. i didn't have to go too far to the right to get them to lock. Is that normal?

After being able to grind some beans at different coarse/fine levels, the grinder now just doesn't work. It makes a weird buzzing noise and the burrs don't rotate. I took apart the top burr and vacuumed inside and cleaned with a brush etc., but to no avail. There is nothing I can visually see that is obstructing anything. I leave the grinder running and turn to the adjustment collar to try and open it up to more coarse, but nothing. Just a weird humming, kinda buzzing noise.

I don't know what to do :( Does anyone have any tips they could offer?

Thanks,
Becky
 View Profile Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 1:40pm
Subject: Re: New Compak K3 Touch grinder not working

So how did you reassemble the burrs. You unscrewed the screw underneath the silver 'button' before removing the burrs? Then when you reassembled, screwed the collar down until the burrs touched? (grinder off). Then backed off the button ~1/4 turn or so before turning the grinder on? Then tried some beans?

Or what was your procedure. Unclear what you did and what is happening now.
technicka

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 12:18am

This is the process I did. I have photos and videos here:
http://bit.ly/XgALt7

1) I unscrewed the 3 screws that are on the adjustment collar and then lifted the adjustment collar off
2) There is a black screw on the right side of the machine. I didn't know what to do with this- at first I completely unscrewed it, then I just screwed it back in, thinking it wasn't relevant to removing the top burr
3) I began to turn the metal top towards the coarse setting, until it completely came off
4) I vacuumed and brushed inside the burr area.
5) I screwed the metal top back on in the opposite direction. I stopped when it seemed "fully in"... just the top ring part was showing, nothing else
6) I screwed the adjustment collar back on

If you watch any of the videos in the link I posted, you can hear a faint humming/buzzing noise, which is all I get now, no matter if I turn the adjustment collar, or if the top burr is on at all.

What exactly did you mean by the silver 'button'?

Thank you so much for your help!
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 12:27am

Becky, sorry you're having a problem.
Forgive my asking, but did you read the manual before attempting to clean the grinder? The TRUTH, please! :>D
You wouldn't be the first not to.

Good that you know to to run your grinder when there are beans in the hopper, when adjusting finer.
It almost sounds like you got a rock in there. By any chance, were you grinding Ethiopian, or maybe Yemen beans?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
technicka

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 12:49am

I promise, I did read the manual before doing anything with the machine :)
When it came to cleaning it- I had looked up online how others had done it and that's how I found out about unscrewing the top burr. The Compak manual is really pretty sparse.

I just figured out what the "silver button" is.. I'm unclear how the screw underneath affects the grind itself. Anyone know?

The beans I was using were Costa Rican. I can't visibly see anything blocking the bottom burr at this point. But when I turn it on nothing moves, at all, with or without beans.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 12:55am

technicka Said:

I promise, I did read the manual before doing anything with the machine :)
When it came to cleaning it- I had looked up online how others had done it and that's how I found out about unscrewing the top burr. The Compak manual is really pretty sparse.

I just figured out what the "silver button" is.. I'm unclear how the screw underneath affects the grind itself. Anyone know?

The beans I was using were Costa Rican. I can't visibly see anything blocking the bottom burr at this point. But when I turn it on nothing moves, at all, with or without beans.

Posted March 2, 2013 link

Good job with the manual.
Have you contacted your vendor?
In most cases, the vendor can help you straighten this out, either with a chat with the service tech (Chris Coffee is GREAT with this), or by having you return the grinder, or by replacing it.
I am not familiar with this grinder, so I'll butt out for now.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
technicka

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 1:04am

diggi Said:

You unscrewed the screw underneath the silver 'button' before removing the burrs? Then when you reassembled, screwed the collar down until the burrs touched? (grinder off). Then backed off the button ~1/4 turn or so before turning the grinder on? Then tried some beans?

Posted February 28, 2013 link

@diggi- I figured out what you meant here and just tried it. I put the adjustment collar back onto the top burr with the 3 screws, and then took the cap off the silver button, and took that screw out. I screwed the top burr back in, and then put the screw back in. Can you explain what that screw does?

Also, how do I know when the burrs have touched?

After doing this, same result as you'll see in the video/photos. (Weird buzzing/humming noise with no movement).

Thanks again for your help
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 1:10am

Devin, a wild stab here but could it be a burned out motor bushing due to a stone that locked up the burr.
I confess to being in the dark regarding this grinder specifically, but this sort of thing happens more than occasionally.
Thanks for helping Ms Monica.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 4:14am

technicka Said:

@diggi- I figured out what you meant here and just tried it. I put the adjustment collar back onto the top burr with the 3 screws, and then took the cap off the silver button, and took that screw out. I screwed the top burr back in, and then put the screw back in. Can you explain what that screw does?

That screw hits a 'stop post' to prevent the burr from turning past it, so it must be removed to allow the burrs to be removed/and installed.

technicka Said:

Also, how do I know when the burrs have touched?

If the screw is out, when you screw the burrs together, then you will feel the burrs touch by the increased resistance and inability to turn.

technicka Said:

After doing this, same result as you'll see in the video/photos. (Weird buzzing/humming noise with no movement).

Thanks again for your help

I hope Robert is not correct with his response, but fear he may be with a service center fix issue. I'd be sure that the the screw is out, then try adjust to touching, and then back off maybe a 1/2 turn on the burrs. Same issue? crap.
The only other thing I can think of is another difficult problem.
I agree that the manual is too sparse and online info is inadequate for this grinder. I too took mine apart several times, and ran into trouble on the 6th or 7th attempt. You should be using food-grade lubricant on the threads when reinstalling the burr. As well you need to be 'really' careful that the threads line up correctly. The lubricant helps here too. But I ended up cross-threading my burrs (ie: the threads were crossed over each other, meaning the burrs are not going down straight (and ruining the threads at the same time). If this was the case, I could see how the burrs may be crooked and touching in only one spot that could prevent turning.
So if the above doesn't work, I'd take the burrs apart again, inspect the threads, and use a food-grade lubricant while being 'very' careful to screw down with the threads aligned. Otherwise maybe call your service center.
I'm not sure I'm too confident to go back into the guts of my K3T after my experience (I ended up getting the burrs locked together with cross threading and needed to find someone to file the threads to make it usable, and replace the burrs...what a mess). good luck.

EDIT: Sorry, just checked out you link. The only question I have now is if the grinder is designed with a safety mechanism to prevent the burr from spinning when unassembled. I don't know the answer to this question. The vario, for instance has this feature. So I wonder if it is 'locked out' when the top burr is off. If you know the answer to this question, great...otherwise maybe give the above a spin (Let's hope it does that....spin)
technicka

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 1:45pm

Thanks for your help everyone. So after a lot of trial and error, I think what happened is that a bean got lodged into the bottom burr when I was experimenting on too coarse of a setting. I put a wrench in there and started to manually turn it, and eventually I was able to dislodge a bean and now the bottom burr turns! question- Is the top burr also supposed to spin? I can't tell.

I used food grade lubricant, (thanks @diggi) to get the top burr and back on hopefully threaded properly. How can I tell if I've threaded it properly? I tried to be super careful and I thought I was doing it right... at this point, however, to get an espresso-type grind, the metal button is not lined up with the chute like I've seen most people mention. I posted a video and photo here:
http://bit.ly/Y4i5cF

Can someone let me know if this seems normal or if I should take it off again and re-thread it? Does it sound right?

Also, is it normal for grounds to get stuck in the chute? It's not getting blocked or anything, but it seems they do get stopped up there and I need to use my finger to get it out.

Thanks again
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New Compak K3...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318482875824)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+