Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer Mini Electronic Doserless Espresso Grinder Type A
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Mini...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
coffeestig

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic...
Drip: French Press
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 1:00pm
Subject: Mazzer Mini Electronic Doserless Espresso Grinder Type A

It was somewhat a leap of faith and I know this is backwards... but I just ordered one of these guys and wondered if anyone had any experience with one?  Any tips?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 1:40pm
Subject: Re: Mazzer Mini Electronic Doserless Espresso Grinder Type A

It is a good grinder, many have them and like them, for the money you might have gone other directions but it is a good, well built grinder that should last you for many years in the home.

It may not forstall lust of other grinders but it is a solid choice none the less.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeestig

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 2:36pm

calblacksmith Said:

It is a good grinder, many have them and like them, for the money you might have gone other directions but it is a good, well built grinder that should last you for many years in the home.

It may not forstall lust of other grinders but it is a solid choice none the less.

Posted February 26, 2013 link

Yes, there are some others out there that seem incredible.  I had a certain budget and stepped down (although I think just in price and don't feel a compromise in quality) on my machine to get the grinder after reading here and taking the advice where I ordered it.

How much more would need to be spent to get something noticeably better?
dyno

Espresso: Salvatore The Club
Grinder: HG One/K6 Pro/Super Mini E
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 8:52pm

I've got the Type B and have been getting used to it.  It's brought out flavors I hadn't experienced with the Preciso before it but with less body.  I've just switched to a darker roast so maybe opinions will change yet.

One thing to note is it needs WDT to get a decent shot.  Otherwise it's gushing out the back half of the portafilter basket and spraying all over the place.  I've considered going to a SJ with doser for this reason.  Don't have similar issues with my Mini Manual with doser.
coffeestig

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 6:12am

dyno Said:

I've got the Type B and have been getting used to it.  It's brought out flavors I hadn't experienced with the Preciso before it but with less body.  I've just switched to a darker roast so maybe opinions will change yet.

One thing to note is it needs WDT to get a decent shot.  Otherwise it's gushing out the back half of the portafilter basket and spraying all over the place.  I've considered going to a SJ with doser for this reason.  Don't have similar issues with my Mini Manual with doser.

Posted February 26, 2013 link

What is WDT?
espressoplanet
espressoplanet
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: QM, LaSpaz, Rancilio, Izzo,...
Grinder: Baratza, Mazzer, Macap,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bonavita, Behmore, Capresso
Roaster: Behmore 1600
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 2:41pm

WDT is the Weiss Distribution Technique - you can read more about it click here

Basically, a technique used to evenly distribute your coffee grounds in your basket in order to reduce channeling and defects in your shot.

Josh.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dyno

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 4:45pm

coffeestig Said:

What is WDT?

Posted February 27, 2013 link

Today I received my:
Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)

Removed finger guard and god-forsaken anti-static grid per:
http://coffeetimex.wikidot.com/mazzer-mini-e-modifications

First shot, no WDT, no mess, nice even flow, easy to clean out chute (which held 1.2g).

Life is good.
OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 5:04pm

Hey, there.

I've been working with the Type B for a couple months or so.  As you know, Type A vs. Type B is just the timing mechanism, but the mechanics are the same.  I actually got an RMA from SCG, but never returned it to them.  I complained that it was slow and a bit clumpy.  It's slow enough that I can't adjust the timing screw enough to get 24g (for a triple) out of it in one shot.  I think it might have been WLL that actually suggested to just set the time to be 1/2 of what I need, and then do it twice.  It's all actually moot, as timing a grind results in grind masses all over the map -- especially if you're adjusting grinds (coarse/fine) or changing beans.  I'm currently just measuring the mass on a scale to get the desired output.  I use the grind timer to get close, but measure to be more exact.  

I like the dosing funnel that the guy above posted, and I mean to buy one myself.  In the meantime, I've been using the cut-off yogurt cup.  I was doing WDT to get a good distribution, but I find that if I just grind into the yogurt cup evenly (moving the PF around as it comes out of the machine) I get good distribution and typically no spritzes out of the bottomless PF.  I do a few taps on the tamping mat to level things out and tamp from there.  

I called WLL and asked about the Ceado E37 vs. the MMB.  The guy I talked with said it's a really tough call between those two (about $200 price delta).  He said that the E37 *is* faster, but it clumps more.  I like the E37 because it's faster and I prefer the look, but I think burr sizes are the same and RPMs are similar.  I've also continued to look around online and on these forums for other grinders, and I think to get to that next level of grinderness, I'll probably need to spend around 2x the cost of the Mazzer Mini B ($1,400 - $2,000).  I think the Mahlkonig K30 Vario, Compak K10 Fresh and some others are very nice in that price range.

In the end, what made me NOT return the MMB was a barista class (side note: interesting that this forum's software flags the word "barista" with a red underline, indicating that I've misspelled something).  I was talking to the head barista about my MMB grinder concerns and he seemed to think that they weren't terribly important and that the MMB was a good/great grinder.  I said "maybe I should just stop worrying about the gear so much" and he agreed.

All in all, at this point, I can make better coffee than most of the coffeehouses in town.  Might I see an improvement with a $2K grinder?  Maybe.  But...  at this point, I'm getting excellent results from what I have, and I find MUCH more variance in the beans I'm getting, and my own processes.  That said, I'll bet I have a "better" grinder within two years.
dyno

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 7:24pm

OEM Super Jolly burrs will give you a faster grind. I see about 18g in 10 sec but depends on your bean.  Haven't had issues with stalling nor any indication that stalling may occur.

Like the results - notable improvement in flavor/smoothness over the stock burrs and a large improvement over the 58mm Mini Manual burrs.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Mini...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299080133438)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+