Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
HELP - Best Grinder for Rancilio Silvia V3?
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > HELP - Best...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MJJ

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 9:54pm
Subject: Re: HELP - Best Grinder for Rancilio Silvia V3?

I think you will be happy with a Baratza Vario. I find it considerably better than the Preciso, worth paying the extra money for the Vario (check the Baratza website for refurbs). The Vario makes a better tasting espresso in my opinion and is much easier to adjust the grind for espresso fineness (because I had to open up my Preciso and add shims...). My Preciso conked out several times and I had to order new parts from Baratza a couple times. My Vario has given me troubles once but it was just a screw that came loose inside. From what I've read the Vario is good bang for the buck, competes well with more expensive grinders in terms of taste (but not build quality).
  I have a PID but get the grinder first!
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:26pm

Claire, welcome to the CG Forums!
I believeThere have been questions as to whether a Vario with the ceramic burr set can still be had in Australia. I believe I watched a thread where all that was being sold were the steel burr version, which is basically designed  for the coarser grind, such as drip, vac pot, french press.
I may be wrong here, and hopefully we can get a response for Kyle or Kyra, owners of Baratza.
I have both the Preciso and Vario (the "W" weighing model).
The regular timer version grinds equally well and is significantly less, and will do you well.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Madurodave

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: Mr Coffee, perculator
Roaster: HotTop B, West Bend Air...
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:40am

emradguy Said:

How is telling someone how they should have done it better a recommendation, Dave? I don't get it. It's like pointing out their mistakes. Wouldn't it be better to tell them how they can make improvements? Ok, we'll to be fair you did recommend a Preciso, but that was less than half of the post.

Posted February 19, 2013 link

You're right. Silly me trying to help someone since they said they had just ordered it.

Dave
Harley rider, Espresso drinker, Primo XL grill
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:20pm

funny thing is, I started to do something kinda similar just today, submitted it, and then thought better and got rid of it...but I've been known to post unhelpful comments in the past and I always appreciate people telling me to knock it off (in so many words).

:)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
hollyan

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 6:23am

FYI, when I bought my Silvia a few years ago, I purchased a Baratza Virtuoso, thinking it would be sufficient for my purposes. Sadly, I found that I couldn't adjust the grind setting fine enough to get a decent shot out of the machine without substantial modifications to the burrs. I agree with another poster- look in the $400+ range, because then you get the necessary "fineness". I don't have any experience with the Rocky, but I know that you'll be disappointed with a less expensive grinder.
AnchoredPreserves

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 5:58pm

Dear all,

A BIG thank you to everyone who responded.. I am based in Australia therfore having a little trouble finding the Vario Grinder here but will keep looking.

All your comments have been very helpful and think that I will need to buy a good one to make my coffee maching a happy little Chappie!!

I was looking at the Baratza Vario and that one looks good... if only money grew on trees hey! HA.

I just received my machine and am very excited to get it going! My lovely coffee friend will grind some coffee for me until i get a grinder.

I think i wll probably post again and again as i may need to choose between 2 grinders!! haha

Cheers
Claire
David_Batson

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Breville BCG800XL Smart...
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 5:24am

I recently bought a Breville BCG800XL "The Smart Grinder" (Aussie made). So far I am very happy with it.  I posted a user's review on WLL's website.  I am using it only for Espresso (at least so far).

http://www.breville.com.au/the-smart-grindertm.html
klund
klund
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 7:43am

David_Batson Said:

I recently bought a Breville BCG800XL "The Smart Grinder" (Aussie made). So far I am very happy with it.  

Posted February 22, 2013 link

I started out with a Smart Grinder, and I too was "happy" with it. I upgraded to the Baratza Vario-W. If I was "happy" with the Smart Grinder, I'm "happier than a cow in a Chik-Fil-A" with the Vario-W.

For espresso, the Smart Grinder is a starter grinder. If you are at all serious about your coffee, you will upgrade.

-- klund

Well then, you should see me without coffee.
klund
klund
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 7:46am

klund Said:

For espresso, the Smart Grinder is a starter grinder. If you are at all serious about your coffee, you will upgrade.

BTW, I am extremely proud of how pretentious that sounded.

-- klund

Well then, you should see me without coffee.
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:01am

klund Said:

BTW, I am extremely proud of how pretentious that sounded.

Haha. What you said is completely true. My first grinder was so bad for espresso (bodum bistro) that when I got a gaggia MDF i was over the moon with being able to drink a shot without making a disgusted face. Now that I have a vario, it's actually a pleasure to drink espresso straight.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > HELP - Best...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305808782578)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+