Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
preciso woes
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > preciso woes  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: K-30 Vario,Pharos, Vario-W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:38pm
Subject: Re: preciso woes

Rob, I'd like to commend your patience in answering to the quickly judged criticisms as you have. Hopefully it will help steer a few unknowing readers in the right direction who might otherwise believe the worse about Baratza. Any company working to sell a quality product at an affordable price is going to have problems to deal with now and then. Baratza has proven time and again to stand behind their grinders and take care of the problems, and their customers, without hesitation. If the hundreds of people who used Baratza grinders and never had a problem posted about never having a problem Mark would probably need a new server.
 View Profile Link to this post
bwcasolo

Espresso: ranchilio silvia
Grinder: baratza preciso
Drip: krups
Roaster: behmor1600
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 4:59am

rob, if i , like you had not have had the issues with now 2- preciso's, this would be a mute topic for me.
we all begin on this espresso path, the learning curve is an adventure. you had a beginning , years ago. you seem to scold a bit with some of your responses as if this is an elite club. well, it is not. it is an open forum for beginners and longtime home barista's. i do appreciate the knowledge you have, but i also appreciate the responses from other long time cg posters who are not as course grind as you, at times. sometimes i think we sit too long at these pc's. have a nice day.
ggcadc
ggcadc
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: All of them
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:33am

dyqik Said:

tank-like reliability .

Posted January 25, 2013 link

no, not at all tank like. it's plastic.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 9:04am

ggcadc Said:

no, not at all tank like. it's plastic.

Posted February 12, 2013 link

You've taken a quote completely out of context, and reversed the meaning of it.
ggcadc
ggcadc

Espresso: QM Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: All of them
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 2:46pm

dyqik Said:

You've taken a quote completely out of context, and reversed the meaning of it.

Posted February 13, 2013 link

sorry, apparently I had too much caffeine and jumper the gun.
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 5:10pm

Iamwriter defends the preciso like a knight to the queen.  He must know the owners personally.  This gives everyone looking to buy a new grinder opinions from all sides.   However, look at all the forums and decide for yourself.  Ask questions?  The company, Baratza, is all of two or three people and I have spoken to the designer of the Preciso personally.

1.  They attempted to make a $1000 grinder in a $300 package.  Very difficult.  They have several grinders at different price points.  There is a reason for this.  Go to the website and hit the support link.  They have support documents for every grinder.  The Vario has about 3 links.  The Preciso....well, you scroll and scroll down the page full of support links to make repairs.  What does that say?

2.  They replaced many many grinders over the past year with a redesign.  Why?  Because they knew how crappy the original design was.  The gearbox and other plastic parts were failing at a gigantic rate requiring a major overhaul that you cannot do at home.  To save the company from embarrassment they spent tons of capital refurbishing the design.  i.e. Great customer service.  The new gearbox is nice and the burr rings won't fail as quickly but they are still plastic.  If you rotate the grind from coarse to fine frequently this action puts a lot of pressure on a tiny screw that holds yet another plastic adjustment ring in place allowing you to make the grind even finer.  Though it is supposed to do this without fail it increases your wear on the plastic.  The pressure exerted on the adjustment is too great for the design.

To get technical, as the plastic heats up, during grind, the pressure exerted on it makes it expand and contract leading to inconsistant grind.  The burr rings are held in place by 3 tiny plastic flanges.  These flanges warp quickly allowing them to slide back and forth.  This warping effect will require constant replacing of the rings that hold the burrs in place.  The parts are inexpensive and if you don't mind opening the thing up every few months then it would be a lot cheaper to go that way vs. getting a $1000 grinder.  I believe the Vario which is sub-$500 doesn't have this design.  I highly recommend bucking up the extra couple hundred to save yourself the headaches.

I would recommend Baratza as a company but not their Preciso.  Especially if you want consistent espresso grind quality without a lot of labor intensive maintenance.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 5:38pm

Could the problems or lack of problems be related to how we use the Preciso?  I add a dose, grind, and clear the grinder as opposed to leaving beans in the hopper.  Does that make a difference as to the grinder longevity?  I am not asking about the pros and cons of leaving beans in the hopper wrt beans freshness, dryness, etc.  Just trying to see if we use the Preciso differently.  Leaving beans in the hopper is always starting the grind against resistance and perhaps working the parts harder.  In addition, I basically leave it set for espresso, so there is little adjustment and movement of the mechanism, and when so, it is usually empty.

It would be interesting to see if grinders are failing if the hopper is emptied and if the settings are left for espresso.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Intrepid510

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 12:34pm

I think it's fair to say that going back and forth from drip to espresso everyday is going to wear out the adjustment rings in the Preciso quicker. With my 2 years plus with mine I have gone through three rings, and probably will be looking at another one soon. However, except for the time I tried to grind a very light roasted coffee for espresso it has been a very gradual slope of my adjustment having to go finer and finer until it could go no more.

That all being said, is there another grinder out there can produce espresso to french press at the quality of the Preciso at any price class? I don't think so and then to top it off it's only $300.00. While at times I do get frustrated with the grinder, if you are looking for a grinder to be your everything there is no where else to look and at 8 dollars for a replacement collar every year or so it's not much. Just think you have to replace your gasket in your espresso machine once a year and they run about the same price.

Less water, more grounds.
conteur
conteur

Espresso: La Pavoni Europicola, Bruni...
Grinder: Various hand mills
Roaster: Heat gun and dog bowl.
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 7:04am

I can only second everything being said here. I own a Preciso, and even though it is over a year old it hasn't been used that much. The gearbox is shot. I brew mostly pour over and an occasional espresso. The gearbox failed without doing a lot of adjustment. I just wish I had used the machine more often so that it would have failed in the warranty period. What a piece of crap! I'll just chalk it up to a $300 lesson/mistake.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 8:42am

Have you contacted Baratza about it?  I got a free new motor for my Preciso even though it was out of the official warranty period.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > preciso woes  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291444063187)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+